One post wonders…

onesea

I know it’s the way to make your millions however always makes me smile the original ways that people sneak on to the forum to promote there new V Log, sell an over priced item or covertly promote there website.

You can often see it in the name “cuti”name “moto” “girl” “grrl” etc.  Some make you wonder “Purveyors of fine motorcycle adventures” not certain what that actually means.

Like a few posts ask about warm jacket, then off you go somewhere else to get some more followers, influence a bit more.

• Like 4

I've noticed this as well, the amount of people that come on, ask a question of some kind, get responses but never respond back, then just vanish .... Maybe it's the same sort of mentality that some social media sites have, posts are all about how many likes you get, rather than genuinely wanting to engage with others.  🤔 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, onesea said:

I know it’s the way to make your millions however always makes me smile the original ways that people sneak on to the forum to promote there new V Log, sell an over priced item or covertly promote there website.

You can often see it in the name “cuti”name “moto” “girl” “grrl” etc.  Some make you wonder “Purveyors of fine motorcycle adventures” not certain what that actually means.

Like a few posts ask about warm jacket, then off you go somewhere else to get some more followers, influence a bit more.

The wonders don’t care, the wonders don’t give a daaaaaamn.

You do realise that the very existence of a Forum is a very outdated thing nowadays ? Seems to me that if it's to continue , it needs shaking up a bit . My personal opinion , put a stop to the threads Good morning and Good Night etc and What are you doing at the Weekend ?   There's rarely anything bike related on them and it's just the same small group of people every time . It's small wonder that people visit once to ask a question and then leave . They probably think they have stumbled  into an old folks home . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, fastbob said:

You do realise that the very existence of a Forum is a very outdated thing nowadays ? Seems to me that if it's to continue , it needs shaking up a bit . My personal opinion , put a stop to the threads Good morning and Good Night etc and What are you doing at the Weekend ?   There's rarely anything bike related on them and it's just the same small group of people every time . It's small wonder that visit once to ask a question and then leave . They probably think they have stumbled  into an old folks home . 

I can see your point however without the banter on the forum, many regulars would not stay.
 @Stu has a difficult balance to make particularly with the “help” of his “moderators” mentioning no names.

Threads like good morning weekend etc I think are good. With previous experience of forums I knew they would be full of Crap from regulars and of no interest.  

IMHO it’s when everyday banter creeps into informational posts it’s of putting.

Edited by onesea
To add over the years it seems I have become one of the regulars talking crap.
  • Like 2

I tried to stop the what did you do to your bike thread to promote people to create a new thread to talk what they had done rather than it all getting lost in one thread! It fell flat on its face. 

The trouble is a lot of us sit waiting for people to post instead of posting ourselves and that just gets us nowhere. 

Forums aren't dead they are a valuable source of information that information just needs to be posted. 

Good morning and weekend threads have their place in keeping general chat and banter together rather than it taking over every thread! We have had that before and it was a mess. 

If you want things to change then it's you guys that have to make that change! Yes it can get repetitive talking about the same stuff to newbies but this interaction is what keeps forums alive! 

Remember forums are only dead if you don't post ;-)

• Like 3

Oh and as for one post wonders 

Everything is vetted before you see it and sometimes we do make judgement errors and a spammer gets through. 

A lot of the time we know who the one post wonders are going to be but we allow them as they could help others and it could also generate traffic to the forum via Google search etc 

We need traffic which means we need posts and good content posts at that hence the motorbike news section with well written articles.... Well some of them :lol:

You aren't going to always see topics that cater to your specific interests. You always have the option to start your own thread, make it interesting and if people like it they will join in.

I usually avoid the political threads on here as I have no interest in it. Funnily enough though they are usually the most active!! 

Also to keep it on topic slightly, we do approve certain posts just for the fun of it and to give people a chance to have a laugh posting back to them. Does anyone remember the revolutionary rotary engine guy? :mrgreen:

21 minutes ago, onesea said:

@Stu has a difficult balance to make particularly with the “help” of his “moderators” mentioning no names.

I assume you are talking about @rennie  or @Bender :mrgreen:

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Oh and as for one post wonders 

Everything is vetted before you see it and sometimes we do make judgement errors and a spammer gets through. 

A lot of the time we know who the one post wonders are going to be but we allow them as they could help others and it could also generate traffic to the forum via Google search etc 

We need traffic which means we need posts and good content posts at that hence the motorbike news section with well written articles.... Well some of them :lol:

I figured you had a good guess, one post wonders are going to happen.  You never know who is going to grow into the next regular talking crap.

It just tickles me the bloggers or whatever trying to make there influencing circles, the people thinking a Forum is a good selling platform.

In the sailing world you make a Patreon account a YouTube channel and make sure there are girls and bikinis.  Seems to be the winning formula, they make a living out of it.

8 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I assume you are talking about @rennie  or @Bender :mrgreen:

not even a decent comedian either 🧐

😂🤣

Edited by onesea
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, onesea said:

I figured you had a good guess, one post wonders are going to happen.  You never know who is going to grow into the next regular talking crap.

It just tickles me the bloggers or whatever trying to make there influencing circles, the people thinking a Forum is a good selling platform.

In the sailing world you make a Patreon account a YouTube channel and make sure there are girls and bikinis.  Seems to be the winning formula, they make a living out of it.

not even a decent comedian either 🧐

😂🤣

There he is . Unfortunately I think he was terminated just before I posted this . 

image.png

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, onesea said:

Bugger, I must be on the wrong sailing forums. All I get is sail settings and tactics. 

2 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I like Sailing Miss Lonestar. She is batshit crazy. But very entertaining 

Barefoot sailing adventures,
Sailing Uma,

Salt and Tar,

Wind Hippie sailing,

There are more… 

5 minutes ago, onesea said:

Barefoot sailing adventures,
Sailing Uma,

Salt and Tar,

Wind Hippie sailing,

There are more… 

So this was the aim of this thread? 

To promote these :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

So this was the aim of this thread? 

To promote these :lol: 

Hell no just warming every one up for my blog, middle aged middle weight guy balding guy rides his bike and sails his boat...  edited by an idiot...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OMG not certain which is worse the one part winners it the repeat offenders..

This little Cuti makes Kevin look frugal with his musings...

For those that want the shortened version:

1, bike being imported or exported,

2, deadline being problematic,

3, the need to spending time putting things in line keeps getting in the way,

4, using imaginary bikes for inspiration. 

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder if the man who gives away Lego, will see this one.

At least he was clear in his intentions, I am here to get your views and click bate...

As bribery I will give away Lego.

Edited by onesea
ThatRedFireblade
  • Like 3