Small non standard number plates 😁

Bender

Nephew got an audi, with silly (cool apparently) number plate removal and big full grill,Β  small plate off center stuck on bumper.Β 

Β 

I πŸ˜‚ and said that looks stupid and it's illegal and you will get pulled, took a month but yes to all of the above 3points and a fine, the price of looking 😎 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I like a number plate that is just legalΒ 

Β 

Someone cut back my trophy plateΒ  before I bought it, is just legalΒ 

Β 

It does looks better than having a boarder, logo etcΒ 

Β 

I would like to replace but I cannot find anyone to make with out boarder.

Going to ask Rishi to make it legal to have small, black number plates on an Italian bike. Anything to get rid of that woeful wodge of canary yellow on its backside. Β 

Edited by bonio
  • Haha 1

I would love a small non standard numberplate... with a small non standard number. Β 4 digit. perfect. fully legal and a small plate.

Β 

As it is I have an 8x6 plate which is illegal.. but ignored. though Ive kept the original and stick it back on in case Mr MOT is a jobsworth.

I believe it's the size of the letters / numbers that make it legal or not, not the size of the plate? Β I rarely see an enduro bike on the road with a legal sized plate over here, Police just seem to ignore them. Β I did have a conversation with a Police officer about plates, and he stated that if the rider is riding sensibly, not being a tool, not pushing the boundaries and it's only the plate that's the issue, they tend to ignore them. Β But I would imagine that also depends on the copper. Β If you're unlucky enough to get a jobs worth then it'll be a different story.

• Like 1

Β 

18 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

he stated that if the rider is riding sensibly, not being a tool, not pushing the boundaries and it's only the plate that's the issue, they tend to ignore them.

That, to me, sounds like the usual common sense and good attitude towards bikes that is always displayed by the police at the TT. It's a pity that more (not all) of our mainland police can't take a leaf out of that book.

• Like 1

@manxie49

The Β RulesΒ stateΒ for bikes :

Β Β Β characters must be 64mm tall

β€’ characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be

44mm wide

β€’ the character stroke (the thickness of the black print)

must be 10mm

β€’ the space between characters must be 10mm

β€’ the space between the age identifier and the random

letters must be 30mm

β€’ the margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate

must be at least 11mm

β€’ vertical space between the age identifier and the

random numbers must be 13mm”

Β 

My trophy plate has been cut to give 11mm margin and letters are down to the legal size and it looks so much better than the β€œyellow blob” on the TDM.

Β 

However I cannot find manufacture that will make to the regulations rather than stating: Β  β€œΒ 9 x 7 inches, or 228 mm x 178 mm. This is the default size when you select β€˜legal style’ on our plate maker ensuring your plate will conform to road laws.”

Β 

or similar.

Β 

I would be happy if I could find someone to make it with minimum size text the required manufacture and standard mark where I cut the plate to size after.

Β 

Β 

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, onesea said:

@manxie49

The Β RulesΒ stateΒ for bikes :

Β Β Β characters must be 64mm tall

β€’ characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be

44mm wide

β€’ the character stroke (the thickness of the black print)

must be 10mm

β€’ the space between characters must be 10mm

β€’ the space between the age identifier and the random

letters must be 30mm

β€’ the margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate

must be at least 11mm

β€’ vertical space between the age identifier and the

random numbers must be 13mm”

Β 

My trophy plate has been cut to give 11mm margin and letters are down to the legal size and it looks so much better than the β€œyellow blob” on the TDM.

Β 

However I cannot find manufacture that will make to the regulations rather than stating: Β  β€œΒ 9 x 7 inches, or 228 mm x 178 mm. This is the default size when you select β€˜legal style’ on our plate maker ensuring your plate will conform to road laws.”

Β 

or similar.

Β 

I would be happy if I could find someone to make it with minimum size text the required manufacture and standard mark where I cut the plate to size after.

Β 

Β 

I used a company a few years ago called "show plates" not sure if they do them size to order? Β http://www.showplate.co.uk

20 hours ago, Yorky said:

Β 

That, to me, sounds like the usual common sense and good attitude towards bikes that is always displayed by the police at the TT. It's a pity that more (not all) of our mainland police can't take a leaf out of that book.

Yes, they adopt the same approach with dark visors. Β If they see you wearing one on a bright sunny day they just ignore it. Β Ride with it on at night or in bad weather and they'll pull you, as you'd expect. Β Like you say, common sense approach.