How many times have you crashed a bike?

Pbassred

How many drops? Full question below.  

41 members have voted

1. 1. over the last 10 years

• 9 (seriously?)
    • Run into while stopped

Not counting static or parking drops or track or off road and to make it a more level playing field, only the last 10 years.  However lets include accidents that were someone else's fault and freak conditions.

Edit:-  I added the option "run into while stopped."  It seems to be a thing!

Edited by Pbassred

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

I suppose mine would count, once in the last ten years but I was actually static.  Rear ended at a pedestrian crossing. 🙄

Static don't count.  There is literally nothing you can do...... other than run the pedestrians down.  Your choice!

Edit:- since there are at least 3 of us, I added the option.

Edited by Pbassred
  • Like 1

Does locking-up the rear wheel, then dropping it count during tuition?! If so, then only that one time.

What about being bumped into while filtering but never actually damaged the bike, more of a near miss I would say…. If it does count then that makes it two!!

Edited by Troy

Rear-ended while stopped: twice

Dropped when stationary: twice

Stalled and dropped turning left out of Aldi: once.

Came off going through slimy ford: once.

That's a total of 2 non-stationary accidents.  

5:

Monster 821 wrote off in RTA

S1000R Gen 2 wrote off in RTA.

S1000R Gen 2 dropped it trying to do a u-turn on a steep hill.

S1000R Gen 3 side swipped by a car coming of a roundabout.

GS - dropped it in the snow before Xmas. 

😬

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I have only ever crashed a bike once 

But crashed 3 bikes in total :mrgreen:

Oops. That must have cost you at least two pints of beer.

• Haha 1

Tempting fate here. Other than stationary in the last ten years. Zero.

In total, in 30 years of riding, four times. All my own fault and mostly low speed - sub 30mph. 

1. Overconfidence / failed to read the bend.

2. Underconfident / ran out of talent

3. Too busy looking at the scenery* to spot the gravel

4. Hypothermia/ tiredness

I forgot 5. And within the last ten years. Walking pace on a muddy field at Goodwood (Revival), someone blocked my route causing me to need to turn slightly and the bike fell over. 

*attractive woman in a soft too sports car. 

Edited by Steve_M

My crashes have been too fast in to a corner for my ability and stuck it in the ditch

Riding rather fast in a group and too closely and the lead rider dumped his mid corner which split his engine casing dumping oil on a left hand bend which took us all off 

last but not least got a huge tank slapper over a brow which dumped me 

Too fast for the conditions. (Icy December.) I tried to slow down too harshly to make a left turn and lost grip and my SV slid to a stop, lost balance and keeled over. 

Too stupid. I tried to bump start my GSXR 600 back when I was having recharging issues. I had full gear + helmet, lost balance and fell and watched my baby scrape on the crash bar. That one f**king sucked. 

It was around 9.30pm and I was down an empty road next to a very important building. I'm sure some CCTV guy must have been laughing his face off watching that.

Once, in the Black Forest near the Mummelsee. well within the speed limit and passing a parking place, a car began to pull out and the driver looked directly at me... he paused and when I was almost upon him moved again. I slammed on the anchors but still hit him. €10,000 damage to his car, when the polizei arrived they wanted me to agree to press charges for attempted murder!  Bike was in a bad way but I still managed to ride it home at the end of that week. his insurance paid for the repair and bike hire. you can't really organise a holiday for friends and not ride with them. can you.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

1.Head on 40mph collision with a Volvo 240, uninjured, bike wrecked, police found me screaming at driver and beating the f**k out of the car - denting every panel, when they arrived. Driver said sorry, well, he was on my side of the road !! Straight road.

2.Hit the back of HGV because i wasn't watching where i was going ... slightly bent forks ..straightened satis.

Yes, scantily clad young girls in summer. DOH!

3.Fell asleep on the A14 near Ipswich rolled up embankment, fell off and .... woke up ... bike and me undamaged. Police car on scene helped me get bike back to road and shared their flask of coffee with me 👍

• Like 1

This is really interesting. So far: only 2 riders have been hit by cars - apart from the *FIVE* hit while stationary. There are lessons to be learned!  I wonder if you are either high mileage riders or just occasional. What I could have done is divide the total miles ridden by the number of crashed but that would have got complicated and who tracks that? 

More result required.

4 years and 45000 miles btw.

45 years and in the tens of thousands. My in the rear whilst stationary was at a massive fairly new roundabout on the Bedford Road in Northampton hit by a posh Merc when waiting for the opportunity to go. Crushed the rear of the mobylette I was riding and launched me into the air, and I came down on my arse facing the Merc. A head popped up from down in the passenger side and eventually got out of his car. I hurt too much to stand up, and all he said was "sorry, I was going straight on" he was reluctant too through his insurance, so I squeezed £600 out of him and scrapped the moby and bought a C70

Perspective is required for this ...

During the period 1984 to 1998 i averaged 26,000 miles a year on the motorbike .... I commuted (Sheffield to Norwich ) 4 days a week. Travelled on holidays and, although i had use of a car, used the bike .... all year round.

• Like 1

Just the one touchwood...turned right at a junction on my 125 and I kept going towards the railings no matter how much I didn't want to! Must have squeezed the front brake and over I went broke my elbow☹️ 

Since then I've dropped my Fazer twice whilst stationary at home outside!

Not in the last 10 years as I took a hiatus and only got back on last year, but once in the 10 years before (not counting static drops). Only a mile from home, after navigating 40 miles on the M25 during rush hour, I grabbed too much front brake on a single lane road and went over the bars ! Twat ! :-) 

1. An ill-advised moment of indecision. Stopped in the middle of a tight turn at walking pace with a passenger on the back.  Stop/drop. All very slow motion.

2. Emergency brake to avoid someone's last second change of direction on a roundabout. Brought the bike to a stop and promptly toppled over.

3. On snow.