best (sports) touring bike for a trip around Europe?

lukesft

4 hours ago, Stu said:

It always starts solo till the missus enjoys it then it's game over 😂

I have discounted a lot of bikes due to luggage capacity 

Thats what happened to me thankfully I got to see my current bike with panniers fitted so I knew they would be big enough. Some panniers look huge until you open them up

Edited by MikeHorton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Rhars what happened to me thankfully I got to see my current bike with panniers fitted so I knew they would be big enough. Some panniers look huge until you open them up

I do like the Vario panniers for that reason, but the idiotic high level exhaust means one of the panniers has less useable capacity (guess who gets that one!). 

• Like 1

Throwing a low budget option out there.

Triumph trophy 1200 the 97-02 one.

My daughter and partner won't let me still mine even if I wanted as it's comfortable for pillion.  

They are top heavy when stopped and at 40mpg ? Thirsty.

However for under 2k you can pick up a good condition bike that has some performance and comfy to ride.  Don't overlook them.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

I'm with Steve_M you can tour on pretty much anything, I even seen some guy on you tube touring on a Honda C90! I went to Switzerland on a Fireblade 900 RRW (nearly broke my back but was great on the twisties). Tracer 900GT is a good bike solo, however, two up and fully laden I found I had to change the rear shock for a Nitron .... I blamed the wife for that little upgrade!  Prior to the upgrade the bike had a tendency to run wide on the bends due to the rear end sag.  I personally like the GS or GSA,  I've test ridden both and they're both exceptional bikes, Africa Twin is also spot on.  Comes down to what you can pick up for the budget though, second hand market seems to be going through the roof.  Good luck.

14 hours ago, lukesft said:

Thanks for all in the insight guys! Much appreciated. Very new to this all. Just some context in 6ft1, about 83kg and active lad so not too worried about weight but do want something fun to ride. Only concern with most of these options is insurance cost as one of the reasons I’ve been looking 6-800cc mark as I’m 24 and literally got my license yesterday. 
thanks again for all the options but any idea of bikes that can do the same with slightly smaller engines?

650 v-strom, not very sporty but roomy and great for touring 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billy sugger said:

How about a BMW750GS? Certainly got two up grunt, and judging from what I got from the NEC, very comfortable 

A friend has one and she’s toured all over Europe on it, keeping up with her other half who’s on a 1250GS. 

One thing regarding insurance set yourself up an account with one of the comparison sites and Google any bike you like and put a relevant number plate in.

I just changed my commuter from a 900cc to 125cc and my insurance went up! 

The insurance can be be random, I have had this a number of times.

With cars a 2ltr diesel can be cheaper than 1ltr petrol.

Cheers for all these guys. 
I am a big fan of the 750gs bar the price tag! 
anyone got anymore thoughts on the Kawasaki er6? Seem good value and I assume reliable from a Japanese manufacturer. 
tempted by the GS if I can afford have always had my eye on those.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Another thing to be mindful of is that if you are doing two up touring a lot of panniers aren't that big! 

Just ditch the girlfriend !   Problems over !  Get another one when you get back.

• Haha 6

Ok, for touring 1-up with occasional pillion:

750GS would be great for you, but bring new, it's on the pricey side.

F800ST is another good call - perhaps a bit small for you though? You'd need to sit on one to try it out.

But above those I'd suggest a Versys 650 as it's a decent bike, comfortable for long days, and with good space for pillion / luggage.

Plus, owners swear by the Honda NC750X so I ought to add it to the list. I've only ridden the 700, and it didn't do much for me, but the 750's meant to be significant a step up.

On most bikes, the hard panniers are welcome addition when touring. Even if they're small, they make a good platform for packing further luggage on top. Just make sure they don't stick out too far and ruin your ability to get around traffic.

• Like 1

Personally I would say anything under a 1000 for 2 up touring will struggle. 

I say go and look at the Versys 1000 MK1 or 2. MK 2 is from 2015 onwards and they changed them a lot up to 2019. 
MK 1 is probably within your budget. 
I have owned a MK 2 new from 2017 and it’s the best bike I’ve owned. I used to get an itch every year or so for a new bike, but 6 years in and I have no intention of changing. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lukesft said:

found a mk3 2018 Versys 650 for £4,600 @ 24,000miles with 3 hard panniers.

insurance comes in at £181 so super cheap too.

my only concern and not something we've covered is how many miles is too many miles on a bike engine?

I wouldn't worry about the miles it's more about keeping it well maintained. 24k is fine until recently I was doing 10k a year on my bike. Just look after it and if buying used check it all looks good and has a service history. Looking good on ebay you can see some great used bikes that have clearly been well looked after with receipts etc and some the polar opposite 

• Like 1

Just get what you can afford to buy and insure. There are various affordable ways to improve comfort once you have the bike and have identified the problems. If you’re going second hand the try to concentrate on bikes that come complete with luggage as new can often be pricey.  I wouldn’t fuss too much about “what bike”.., as the most popular suggestion might be beyond your budget once all the costs are factored in. Look at bikes that have a full service history and do your research. Is the bike due a major service? These can be pricey. Does the bike have decent tyres with tread that will last until your return?  Treat this first bike and trip as a learning experience the carry forward the lessons you have learnt forward to next time. By which time you will have a years no claims and insurance becomes significantly less expensive and that will widen your options for your next bike. Which is more likely to be one you will want to keep over the longer term.

having said all that the top end of your budget will easily buy something traded in on a pcp. But can you afford to buy AND insure?

Edited by Gerontious

4 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

If you’re going second hand the try to concentrate on bikes that come complete with luggage as new can often be pricey.  

This a good tip. And miles don't matter; it's how it's been maintained that's important.

Before you buy, you should at least sit on the bike - or least one of the same model - so you know whether it's going to feel right for you. If it's possible, get a test ride.

28 minutes ago, bonio said:

Before you buy, you should at least sit on the bike - or least one of the same model - so you know whether it's going to feel right for you. 

Once you’ve tried a couple and understand what feels right for you, this is a handy tool to do a quick check on other bikes before you spend time trying them. It doesn’t account for how plush the seat is but it is a good indicator…

Motorcycle ergonomics

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lukesft said:

Looks promising. Seems to have all the right accessories: Scottoiler, heated grips, luggage, the screen’s vario spoiler (I found that a real boon when touring on my Tiger) . Looks like a Garmin satnav, too. Worth a look. Do you know anyone local to you who could give a second opinion? 

1 hour ago, lukesft said:

Rest does look good and has all the bells and whistles and well cared for 

It’s got an innovv camera front and back too. 
I have one on mine for just in case. Quality is not as good as a go pro, but for evidence and personal use, it’s excellent. Also it’s a fit and forget system so in that respect is better than the rechargeable go pro’s. 
I looks like it’s had a few ££ thrown at it. 

Hope you bag it. 

Although reading the advert it doesn’t look like that or the sat nav are part of the sale. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

Doing some more research on it my only concern is the engine. I loved the mt07 engine in training and felt comfortable yet slightly intimidated by it it was perfect for that blip of adrenaline. My only worry is that the versys (from what I’ve read) doesn’t have that fun side. Am I completely wrong? I mean im a beginner so I’m sure everything will feel amazing but just don’t want to get bored of it in 6 months and want something else would be nice to have something to grow into. 
if you have any experience on one would be great to know your thoughts.

16 minutes ago, lukesft said:

Doing some more research on it my only concern is the engine. I loved the mt07 engine in training and felt comfortable yet slightly intimidated by it it was perfect for that blip of adrenaline. My only worry is that the versys (from what I’ve read) doesn’t have that fun side. Am I completely wrong? I mean im a beginner so I’m sure everything will feel amazing but just don’t want to get bored of it in 6 months and want something else would be nice to have something to grow into. 
if you have any experience on one would be great to know your thoughts.

I think you're over thinking it, nowt wrong with the Versys, bomb proof engines, well tested and will entertain. People have toured on them with no issues what's so ever. 

• Like 1

its a much better bike for the mountains than any sports tourer. your original question was about sports tourers not (so called) Adventure bikes. so my reply didn't mention them. but there is a reason why they are so popular. they have a very small turning circle so are great in the proper mountain twisties and faster on everything aside from the Autobahn, though they are more than capable of sustained motorway speeds. but they are happiest on normal roads and don't care a jot about the state of the tarmac.  Like I say, there is a reason why this segment has become so popular for touring. You can go anywhere on them. absolutely anywhere.

IMG_0742.JPG

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1