I'm (definitely) not the messiah. I'm....

Gerontious

Just wondering when it expires and.. oh bugger.

1732638991_Screenshot2023-03-02at09_48_37.thumb.png.6583dba514baef06d9936ed39883b624.png

Been merrily riding all through the winter without a care in the world... sigh. Obviously ANPR isn't sophisticated enough to recognise a vehicle doesnt have an MOT. which is just a tad disturbing. but also a relief as I would have been stopped and forced to walk months ago. never mind eh. Booked in for next Tuesday.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Haha 7

Same thing happened to me last year. The covid extension to MOTs threw me and I forgot where things were up to. 

The guy in the MOT place had done exactly the same with his as well. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Just wondering when it expires and.. oh bugger.

1732638991_Screenshot2023-03-02at09_48_37.thumb.png.6583dba514baef06d9936ed39883b624.png

Been merrily riding all through the winter without a care in the world... sigh. Obviously ANPR isn't sophisticated enough to recognise a vehicle doesnt have an MOT. which is just a tad disturbing. but also a relief as I would have been stopped and forced to walk months ago. never mind eh. Booked in for next Tuesday.

Happened to me with the car and the SV650. Luckily the garage could fit the car in next day. I’ve decided to postpone the SV650 MoT while the weather’s so inclement which means I’ll probably get stuck at the back of a long queue.

From day 1, I used 'we only mot?' and they would send an email reminder. however last time the bike failed due to a (bizarrely) warped rear disc. so I had that replaced and the MOT done at the same place. the dealership. And they didn't send me a reminder.

But.. I'm using 'we only mot' again so problem solved.

I like using this place, not just because they undercut the other places, but, because they have no vested interest to fail a bike. if the bike fails they give you a free retest. (if you paid in advance) or.. as with last time. don't charge you if it fails and you were going to pay on the day.

12 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

I've done it too! ... But there is no excuse really! .. https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

That's not that helpful...

500214577_Screenshot_20230303-0613572.thumb.png.5c8048d3331425dd8a5f3e0ea5a90596.png

I make calendar reminders 2 months and 6 weeks in advance.

Locally getting an MOT for a car at any time within a week is next to impossible.   Within 2 weeks it's normally at the time prescribed by them.

If your car fails then MOT, getting work completed within the allowed 2 weeks becomes a challenge.

Strangely Motorbike MOT's are not so bad. However when the local guy retires the nearest MOT station will be 7 miles away, after that 15 miles away.

My days of rebellious devil may care law breaking came to an end. riding to the MOT place through the non existent blizzard that the weathermen have been warning about all week. if a few odd flakes make a blizzard.

No problems found. I had a wander around the dealership and was bored by everything I saw. 1100 version of my bike costs £20,000.  I paid a snip over £11,000 for mine - end of season discounts, remember them? Only bike I found vaguely interesting was this CB. had a sit on it and my knee nearly put my eye out.

hey ho.

But, a lot of bike for £6000. even if it was designed by and for dwarves.

IMG_1201.JPG

• Like 1

I just use an app called MOT checker (android).

Add the reg number, you can set a reminder for 30 days and gives you all the story for a few years.

Even checks that your road tax is in order.

12 minutes ago, husoi said:

I just use an app called MOT checker (android).

Add the reg number, you can set a reminder for 30 days and gives you all the story for a few years.

Even checks that your road tax is in order.

No need for an app. Ive added it to my calendar on my phone and as if by magic its already appeared on the calendar on my computer and tablet. I know using a calendar is a bit old fashioned when you can download an App to do the same thing, but hey ho. dinosaurs R us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I had a wander around the dealership and was bored by everything I saw. 1100 version of my bike costs £20,000.  I paid a snip over £11,000 for mine - end of season discounts, remember them?

I have spied an HATAS I am interested in. Might just have the urge to splash out tomorrow.  

4 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I have spied an HATAS I am interested in. Might just have the urge to splash out tomorrow.  

Not cheap but does everything well I'm happy with mine it's a keeper. Another year on the pcp deal then I'll get a loan to sort the balance out. You looking to buy new? If so there may be some deals like when I had mine included 3 services datatool tracker and some other bits which added up to save a few quid 

Bought mine with a bank loan, there’s something. Actually a lot of somethings I don’t like about PCP. So a bank loan over 5 years. Little overpayments here and there and the loan was paid off 11 months early. 49 months.

Miles stand at 15,700 and no commuting. I walk to work. Still loving the DCT transmission. One of my better decisions. Highly recommended.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Bought mine with a bank loan, there’s something. Actually a lot of somethings I don’t like about PCP. So a bank loan over 5 years. Little overpayments here and there and the loan was paid off 11 months early. 49 months.

Miles stand at 15,700 and no commuting. I walk to work. Still loving the DCT transmission. One of my better decisions. Highly recommended.

Yes you have to work it all out and take the best deal that suits. At the time took the pcp as I didn't know if I'd keep it but sure as anything iit suits me. I'll do the same and overpay on a loan bit like the mortgage save a few quid on interest. I've gone manual but electronic suspension. Love the engine happy to chug and commute, scream round rhe bends or 2 up touring and feels no different. Hopefully get fully recovered and have some great tours and breaks. Got the camping gear all packed into one drybag  ready to go

@MikeHorton@Gerontious The bike will be a replacement for the KTM. However I have also been keeping a close eye on a Ninja 1000SX

What appeals to me is, the HATAS (just like the KTM SAS) is a bike that would make me feel I want to get it out of the garage in any weather and have the capacity to go anywhere at anytime, with or without pillion and enough luggage space for a fortnight for both, using my Bumot Panniers and top box, that said, do I need an adventure bike if I'm never going to go off road. So that is where the Ninja 1000SX with Luggage come into play, but I feel its not big enough for 2 up touring, and not a bike I would like to ride in winter or inclement weather,  Second thoughts the Kwak might be the best option 🤣🤣 

I visited Williams BMW on Sunday, daft prices for high mileage bikes, as good as they are I don't think it will be another BMW.  😀

20 minutes ago, Pie man said:

@MikeHorton@Gerontious The bike will be a replacement for the KTM. However I have also been keeping a close eye on a Ninja 1000SX

What appeals to me is, the HATAS (just like the KTM SAS) is a bike that would make me feel I want to get it out of the garage in any weather and have the capacity to go anywhere at anytime, with or without pillion and enough luggage space for a fortnight for both, using my Bumot Panniers and top box, that said, do I need an adventure bike if I'm never going to go off road. So that is where the Ninja 1000SX with Luggage come into play, but I feel its not big enough for 2 up touring, and not a bike I would like to ride in winter or inclement weather,  Second thoughts the Kwak might be the best option 🤣🤣 

I visited Williams BMW on Sunday, daft prices for high mileage bikes, as good as they are I don't think it will be another BMW.  😀

I rarely  do anything offroady but flick of a switch gravel or off road mode is great on Greenlanes. I like the position of an adventure style.bike kind on the back and great view of the road and hazards.if you have a set of bumots that will save a few quid. I'm guessing it's the fun before purchase of a few test rides to find out which bike fits your needs best. People say the ATAS dash and switches are a faff I soon got used to them and android auto connects up simple enough. The new vstrom 1050DE is a massive improvement on the older model maybe a considwration but fuel economy is a lot lower than the Honda 

• Like 1

The 1000SX is a cracking bike. So is the AT to be fair. But they're completely different beasts: Inline 4 vs parallel twin. A sporty-tourer vs a sit-up and go-anywhere adv. I'd say that the Ninja is more involving to ride; while the AT is a more practical tourer - more practical all round, probably.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pie man said:

Will it be a service at 16K, valve check and all, have you an idea of cost 🤔 

Yes and no. I’m having a service done but no engine work. The techs at Nottingham Vertu have never come across an Africa Twin that needed the valves adjusting or the spark plugs replacing at the 16K service. And that’s the way it’s been having read literally 100s of service reports from other owners over the years. So I’m leaving it alone. Service will be all filters and oil. Brake fluid was done last year. I will be supplying my own air filters. hiflo. As they are considerably cheaper than oem.  Engine work can wait until the spark plugs are replaced in a few years time. Right now it’s paying for nothing aside from peace of mind, perhaps. but it comes at a very heavy cost. £400-£500 to be told. everything fine.

Stuff that.

Dealer told me that it’s a two hour job just to access the valves. So double that and add time for the actual work. My plan is to buy the bits in advance. Mainly the spark plugs I suppose and spread the cost somewhat. But as I’ve pushed it down the road, so to speak. It’s not something I’m going to worry about for a few years yet. I’ll have the valves checked when the spark plugs are due to be changed as the time and work involved to access is exactly the same. at 32,000 miles.

Hiflo air filters part no. HFA 1933

Bumot luggage is great.  Fit close-in to the bike and the middle size I went for a 1/2" per side wider than the mirrors. which makes filtering a lot less fraught.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 18.08.14.png

P1000037.thumb.JPG.0e460df8f69d5f0c4f79c94111c05ba2.JPG

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1