Electric cars 🤔

Bender

So friendds daughter got a new Leccy bmw, had it a month, went back to bmw for 2 month, had it another month and its gone back for good, its been replaced by bmw with a diesel version due to inability to hit anywhere near quoted range. 

I've just been given a nissan leaf as curtesy car, started out with 70mile as range, within 2 it had lost 8, by time I've gotten home it's lost almost 14 for a 5mile journey, they may be the future but its a very over optimistic one, I'm not risking it for work I've parked it up and taking the wife's diesel, I can see a trend 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They’ll never catch on. Never seen one. Never heard one and if I did it would probably be the crunch as it hits me. They’re quiet aren’t they? (assuming they are really out there) I’m not convinced.

something in the water.

Well,

I'm on my 3rd Leaf and won't go back to fuel.

Yes it takes a bit to get used to the different style of driving if you want to maximize the range.

Fortunately, at work I can charge so have been travelling almost for free for almost 1 year.

I can easily make 180 miles on a charge in winter and well over 200 when temp goes above 10c

Worst thing on EV's is how quickly they chew the tyres 🙄

If you don't have XL ones they are gone in 15k miles

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, husoi said:

Well,

Yes it takes a bit to get used to the different style of driving if you want to maximize the range.

Fortunately, at work I can charge so have been travelling almost for free for almost 1 year.

I can easily make 180 miles on a charge in winter and well over 200 when temp goes above 10c

Worst thing on EV's is how quickly they chew the tyres 🙄

If you don't have XL ones they are gone in 15k miles

I didn't realise they eat up tyres. Why do they wear out tyree faster than a standard ICE engine?

Just now, daveinlim said:

I didn't realise they eat up tyres. Why do they wear out tyree faster than a standard ICE engine?

Because in my case I have 217 BHP from standing still.

It's amazing how quickly you set out from the traffic lights. but at a cost.

Priceless to see the GTI's and M3/5 seeing you go like an arrow 😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, husoi said:

Well,

Are these company cars??, and how long have you kept each car??

I am still pesimistic about the claimed mileage range and can imagine the depreciation being worse than an ICE, but I have nothing to back up these thoughts so I'm truly interested in the answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Because in my case I have 217 BHP from standing still.

It's amazing how quickly you set out from the traffic lights. but at a cost.

Maybe an m3 from the 90's mate has the m3 performance it's 0 to 60 is 3s and it dosent stop pulling till it hits the limiter, only thing quicker I've been in and not on a track is a model s and a turbo hyabusa. 

It took me all of a minute to get used to the leaf, I put it into eco, put the e brake on and off and range was still crap, its the smaller battery one but would now certainly not consider one of the small battery cars from any manufacturer regardless of what they claim. 

It was/is a nice car and we would have one but it would have to be a town car and be the longest range they did or I may not make it to the shop and back 😂 

2 hours ago, Yorky said:

Are these company cars??, and how long have you kept each car??

I am still pesimistic about the claimed mileage range and can imagine the depreciation being worse than an ICE, but I have nothing to back up these thoughts so I'm truly interested in the answers.

Company cars don't work for me because I don't do much business mileage.

first one I did 59k miles

second 35k

this one is on 24k in 1 year

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Company cars don't work for me because I don't do much business mileage.

first one I did 59k miles

second 35k

this one is on 24k in 1 year

OK, so they are private not company. How does devaluation compare with an ICE, I'm guessing they were still relatively new(ish) vehicles when you got rid.

16 minutes ago, Yorky said:

OK, so they are private not company. How does devaluation compare with an ICE, I'm guessing they were still relatively new(ish) vehicles when you got rid.

Because demand is getting high and maintenance is really low around 4p per mile compared to 17p per mile on ICE they are valued.

The second one I was offered a cracking deal because it was during the covid peak and dealers were trying to get their hand to any car they could.

Being a long term Nissan costumer gave me priority and I got the car in 2 months instead the usual 9 to 12 months waiting list.

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-10-fastest-depreciating-electric-cars/n24549

Leccy are not immune to depreciation, autotrader have noticed a  bigger drop than expected due to the price of Leccy going up. 

We had a Leaf given to us as a courtesy car while my wife's car was in having some work done.  We had it two days, I have to admit that it was nice to drive and the acceleration was brilliant.  The downside was the milage.  I really can't see how they're getting these predicted milages out of them?  The drive home was fine, but then as soon as we went out that night, lights on, heater on, radio on, it was actually scary to see how quick the battery started to go down.  I did comment on this to the garage when we returned to pick my wife's car up,  and he admitted that particular model was more suited for the local runs, apparently they make a different model with greater range?   I think if all you want to do it potter around town then they come into there own, for longer distances, I personally wouldn't want one, not that I could afford one anyway 🙄

15 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

We had a Leaf given to us as a courtesy car while my wife's car was in having some work done.  We had it two days, I have to admit that it was nice to drive and the acceleration was brilliant.  The downside was the milage.  I really can't see how they're getting these predicted milages out of them?  The drive home was fine, but then as soon as we went out that night, lights on, heater on, radio on, it was actually scary to see how quick the battery started to go down.  I did comment on this to the garage when we returned to pick my wife's car up,  and he admitted that particular model was more suited for the local runs, apparently they make a different model with greater range?   I think if all you want to do it potter around town then they come into there own, for longer distances, I personally wouldn't want one, not that I could afford one anyway 🙄

I was pottering round town, no lights on and a 5mile journey, anywhoo, looks like I'm off for an argument, can't get through on phone and nothing to say what time I can collect my van, it had better not be parked where I left it 🤔 

• Like 1

Nissan started with the 24kw batteries that would go up to 50 miles.

Then the 30kw with a range of 60 - 80 miles

Leaf 48kw with 120 to 150 miles

The newer 62 kw (the one I have) goes 180 to 210 no sweat.

Yes the battery drains quicker in cold weather, batteries don't like temps below 5c and as you will run the heating system it reduces the range.

Once you get used to the "reading" of the battery %s you can easily work out the distance you can go on one charge.

Driving style and speed are the 2 most relevant factors regarding human interface.

(the above ranges are based on my own experience. T&C apply :D )

• Like 1

You have to wait a few years... BMW have already announced a battery that is 30% lighter and has 600 miles range due in 2025. 

Thing is they aren't new, they were just unproven. A lot of people have run out to buy battery cars, unaware the technology will be highly obsolete in 3 years, never mind 10-15! And it's a big unknown what this will do to second hand prices. They've been stubbornly high, but this just means they have further to fall. 

Be interesting to watch. I'm not planning on moving to electric until 5 years or so from now at the earliest. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

You have to wait a few years... BMW have already announced a battery that is 30% lighter and has 600 miles range due in 2025. 

Thing is they aren't new, they were just unproven. A lot of people have run out to buy battery cars, unaware the technology will be highly obsolete in 3 years, never mind 10-15! And it's a big unknown what this will do to second hand prices. They've been stubbornly high, but this just means they have further to fall. 

Be interesting to watch. I'm not planning on moving to electric until 5 years or so from now at the earliest. 

I feel the same about it. I'm not doing masses of miles now and wife works from home. Went to one car and bought a hybrid yaris. Great little car but even if we went electric we would struggle on stuff like breaks away  on a long drive. Brother in law lives in South shields and hardly ever makes the trip in one go to see the parents in law in Birmingham. Once the range/charging times and tech meets my needs I'm sure we will change. Opted for pcp as things may well be different in 4 years. Have to say though I do like the yaris and Toyota seem to be good and proven at hybrid tech.

• Like 1

Me too. I'm pretty sure my next will be electric. But I'm not planning to replace the car for 5 years at least, hopefully more.

• Like 1

What ever the reasons and excuses that's pretty pathetic 😂 

I was fully dressed for being outside so hardly taxed the heating system, roads were busy both ways but not a huge amount of time sat not moving, hit heady heights of 65 at one point. 

Drove my first electric car the other week! 

I was very impressed to be honest 

Everyone seems to get hung up on the range when most people just drive around the town :lol: 

They are like anything running on a battery the more you use the electrics the more you will lose off the range! 

Also the range will fluctuate depending on how you are driving too 

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Drove my first electric car the other week! 

I was very impressed to be honest 

Everyone seems to get hung up on the range when most people just drive around the town :lol: 

They are like anything running on a battery the more you use the electrics the more you will lose off the range! 

Also the range will fluctuate depending on how you are driving too 

Err I was driving round town, wearing a woolly hat, yes I was hung up on range as there is no way on this planet I was getting to work and back, I guess I could have turned off the radio and started singing to myself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, husoi said:

Not everyone in an Mcar has the need to race everyone all the time, despite lots of egging on. 

As said the older E30 & E36 were slower but from the E46 onwards all will hit 60 in sub 5 secs. Stats for your leaf-e+ with 215hp say 7.3 secs which is no slouch for a shopping car 😉. No doubt it will launch well and catch the unsuspecting off guard but don't think for a minute you could out drag an M5 if it was trying.😂

• Like 1

My son has a Tesla Model 3 company car and driving from Bristol to Cramlington hospital and back via Barnard Castle needed to recharge once in each direction at Ferrybridge. He wasn't creeping either and was running aircon. Of course its more expensive than a leaf and he gets free charging at work so it works for him. I'll not be encouraging my wife to get one as her  next car as they are bloody expensive and you've still got the issue of getting access to a charging point especially at busy times. Whereas you can find a petrol station pretty well anywhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

Err I was driving round town

Which is worse for it stop start can just sap the juice 

but the point I was making I bet the majority of people drive to work then back and thats it with the odd trip out on a weekend which a range of 150-200 miles will be sufficient between charges 

I drove to Grimsby and back in my bosses car then he went home for the full weekend before returning on Monday before he could charge it 

Grimsby and back took about 30% battery with all the heating on as normal and I put it in sports mode for a while which made no difference to the range 

When he first got it he left work on the night with 275 miles remaining went home then football then returned to work the nest day with 278 miles remaining :lol:

• Like 1