Training course yesterday

Shepherd

Went out with an advanced instructor for the day yesterday, as a freebie follow up to a Firebike course I did 3 weeks ago.

It's no surprise to say I learnt more in 6 hours constant riding than I have in 3 years of my 4 mile dual carriageway commute 😆

I was riding around the lanes of Finchingfield, Thaxted and surrounding areas that were full of wet leaves and other crappy stuff. By the end of the course the confidence I had built up was fantastic.

I would never usually straight line bends the way I was told to yesterday. I seemed to spend more time in 'posistion 4, 5 & 6' than my own lane.😮

The poor bike went from being nice and clean that I could turn up to work on in a suit, to something that I could only hose down before putting away.

Time in the saddle is definitely something I need more of, and for any new riders it's the best way to learn. 

Without getting in to the ROSPA / IAM argument, more training will be booked - whatever the weather.

Shep

Versys.jpg

Muddy.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, janinej said:

At least you will enjoy making the bike nice and clean again for your next ride out 🙂

I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right description.

It got hosed down this morning before my ride to work, and that'll probably be it. 

I'll maybe top up the ACF50 protection too.

Shep

21 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Cool! Do you think the course would benefit someone who can both knees down easily on a racetrack? Ie someone with ample confidence already. 

If you are getting both knees down maybe time to consider a slightly larger bike !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The rear fender on the Versys is absolutely no good at keeping crap off the back AND the sides of the bike. 
If you look closely enough from the back of the bike, it’s slightly offset more to the right of the wheel. 
A fender extender will help a lot. I put one on mine. It’s a Pyramid Plastics one.

IMG_9654.jpeg.25926d35a36215e82582a0d9d7c36ae5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, geofferz said:

Cool! Do you think the course would benefit someone who can both knees down easily on a racetrack? Ie someone with ample confidence already. 

😆

I'm not sure he could teach you anything you could do legally but the guy was a retired a royal protection / prime ministers outsider, so must have a few tricks in his topbox he could share.😆

5 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

The rear fender on the Versys is absolutely no good at keeping crap off the back AND the sides of the bike. 
If you look closely enough from the back of the bike, it’s slightly offset more to the right of the wheel. 
A fender extender will help a lot. I put one on mine. It’s a Pyramid Plastics one.

That's a great shout. I had one on my 125cc and didn't even think of it for the versys 🤦‍♂️

And it was Pyramid Plastics too. I'll get looking.

Cheers for that!

Shep

Nice bike and colour.
Most huggers and fenders now adays are crap ( holy moly i sound old 😢) against winter crap to be honest even unless if you have those more than 3/4 wheel covers from the salt strips or old harleys...

good job, as to the further training... cane be useful only as it can fill in holes in your knowledge of riding skills as not everybody knows everything or have and idea whats is good to practice even afterwards you do it you can take parts that you need to for improvement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Nice bike and colour.

Thank you.

I only chose this model because of it's height. I felt like a praying mantis on my 125cc.

I've not seen many V's in this colour - but being called 'covert green' could be the reason🤔

Further training is definitely on the cards, but time out on the roads is something I need more of.

• Like 1

I've got an IAM assesment in a couple of weeks, it's not really a thing I want to do but I want to get on the blood bikes eventually so needs must.

I've got a horrible image of showing up on my crusty tiger in my filthy leathers and the guy being like "f**k is this idiot doing"

Leaving my military surplus camouflage waterproofs at home that day... Probably less of the "London" filtering too.

Sure it'll be fine tbh, be an interesting insight I do not doubt.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 15:17, geofferz said:

Some groups offer a trial ride with an observer / tutor (IAM / RoSPA, respectively). Give it a go. No harm in looking… 🙏

On 21/11/2023 at 07:27, megaross said:

I've got an IAM assesment in a couple of weeks, it's not really a thing I want to do but I want to get on the blood bikes eventually so needs must.

I've got a horrible image of showing up on my crusty tiger in my filthy leathers and the guy being like "f**k is this idiot doing"

Leaving my military surplus camouflage waterproofs at home that day... Probably less of the "London" filtering too.

Sure it'll be fine tbh, be an interesting insight I do not doubt.

The observer should look over your bike, not to see if it’s clean or shiny new, but to check obvious safety considerations such as tyre wear and chain adjustment. They may ask about POWDERS checks (I did, others didn’t). As for your kit… they may comment if you turn up in totally inappropriate stuff but they will be more interested in how safe your riding is.

I would suggest to ride your normal ride, do not alter it. Even the filtering (obviously, wait for the observer if you lose them as a result of traffic - following and watching has its own challenges).

Went out again today, doing the same routes and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The roads were almost dry instead of underwater, and it was all about me! No second pupil taking the lead.

I did find I wasn't pushing it as fast as I was under instruction though, even though the roads were much better. I was happy at the speeds and positioning I had, I felt like I was 'pushing it' a little with the instructor behind me. 

Long day tomorrow - 3 hr Christmas shopping ride to Bicester, just cos I've never been there before😆

Then 3 hrs back 😬

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shepherd said:

The roads were almost dry instead of underwater, and it was all about me! No second pupil taking the lead.

I did find I wasn't pushing it as fast as I was under instruction though, even though the roads were much better. I was happy at the speeds and positioning I had, I felt like I was 'pushing it' a little with the instructor behind me. 

Long day tomorrow - 3 hr Christmas shopping ride to Bicester, just cos I've never been there before😆

Then 3 hrs back 😬

As a former IAM observer, I would advise not to “push it” or ride at a speed which is causing you to need to react to situations. You need spare capacity in your head to take in and practice those elements you’ve discussed and agreed with at feedback stops. 

Edit: 

Keith Code sums up the situation  in his book “Twist of the Wrist” (well worth a read even if it is track biased) - see photo.

IMG_0265.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Then 3 hrs back 😬

Bicester? Misery for me as I hate shopping. 

On 19/11/2023 at 15:17, geofferz said:

Yes it can

Remember the road is different to the racetrack. 

It's all about making good progress while been safe and seen 

You don't have cars, cyclists, tractors etc etc on the track nor do you have all the different deviations a road offers 

It's not just about building confidence it's about building skills to keep you alive too 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No point training in a environment that your not going to be on for the foreseeable future i.e the track, nor with a fully track rider. 
best with people in the environment, with the skills for that environment i.e ima, roadcraft, police.....they will be more helpful to you skill wise and mentally geared to help confidence. 

• Like 1

I did a trial ride with IAM once and found I was being expected to ride far faster than I was comfortable with. 

Did one of those ‘ride with a cop’ days too. That was far better. Rode at my pace doing my things - then got feedback and useful criticism.  Lessons learned that day still play a key role in my riding today. 

Kinda guess I just had a rum IAM bloke to ride with and had an atypical experience but it’s left me cold about doing IAM as a result. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mawsley said:

I did a trial ride with IAM once and found I was being expected to ride far faster than I was comfortable with. 

Did one of those ‘ride with a cop’ days too. That was far better. Rode at my pace doing my things - then got feedback and useful criticism.  Lessons learned that day still play a key role in my riding today.

I'm glad I was pushed a little, I'm big and ugly enough to say no if I thought it was dangerous.  It was just faster than I wanted, or needed, to go.

The Police day was my own speed, but he was insistent on me thrashing the nuts off the bike.

I was using the gears like I drove a car mind ...

1 hour ago, Shepherd said:

The Police day was my own speed, but he was insistent on me thrashing the nuts off the bike.

I was using the gears like I drove a car mind ...

To be fair, that hardly counts as warming the nuts up. Took me a while before I realised that to go faster you just need to drop a gear.