What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I don't go looking to ride in the wet but very often end up doing so because I have to be somewhere and the bike is the only option. I liked the Metzlers a lot but I felt the mileage I was getting on the rear tyre could be better and they are very prone to squaring off over longish motorway rides. They seem to go very quickly from being pretty good to past it which can be disconcerting. 

I live in Cumbria … rain happens. Like it did yesterday. Dry roads here, a bit cloudy, perhaps. I headed North aiming for the Newcastleton to Langholm road. It was hissing down by the time I got to Penton. I cut the ride short as I was wearing my leathers which aren’t so waterproof. 

PS. When I said the roads were dry, I may have overlooked this on my route.

5FB7D744-1393-4EC8-87E6-CE01330B2DB0.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

Well I worked out why my Speedo on the 125cc wasn’t working.  Bloody nephew the cable was missing 😏

Oh and a bit of tidying up on his dodgy wiring turning it into my dodgy wiring.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I live in Cumbria … rain happens. Like it did yesterday. Dry roads here, a bit cloudy, perhaps. I headed North aiming for the Newcastleton to Langholm road. It was hissing down by the time I got to Penton. I cut the ride short as I was wearing my leathers which aren’t so waterproof. 

PS. When I said the roads were dry, I may have overlooked this on my route.

5FB7D744-1393-4EC8-87E6-CE01330B2DB0.jpeg

Nice. I used to go fishing at Penton Bridge.

19 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

If I only did one up touring that would be right up my street or the new transalp 👍

I know what you mean. I looked at the HATAS, Tiger 1200, GS and another 1290, even the Suzuki GSXS1000GT, all brilliant bikes however, the wife isn't fussed about touring anymore and with the second granddaughter on the way, she will be spending time helping and looking after them. So after the accident I wanted to go smaller, but keep the touring capacity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

I know what you mean. I looked at the HATAS, Tiger 1200, GS and another 1290, even the Suzuki GSXS1000GT, all brilliant bikes however, the wife isn't fussed about touring anymore and with the second granddaughter on the way, she will be spending time helping and looking after them. So after the accident I wanted to go smaller, but keep the touring capacity. 

Yeah, that's what I was looking for; easy to believe the bike you're after just doesn't exist. Did you look at the Z1000SX?

16 hours ago, bonio said:

Yeah, that's what I was looking for; easy to believe the bike you're after just doesn't exist. Did you look at the Z1000SX?

Yep, looked at that too. Another reason for my choice, its a bike I would also ride in the rain and through winter, if I commuted again that is.  

• Like 1

Bled the brakes on the Kawasaki.

Dragged the RGV out into the sunshine and after a few failed kicks pulled the plugs out.

Dried them off and it started a few kicks later filling the garden up with smoke, but sounded as crisp as ever.

Plan is to get it on the road this year, not ridden it since 2019

Pictured with the 250R.

20230401_163057.JPEG

20230401_163109.JPEG

20230401_163043.JPEG

• Like 3

Took the wheels out the RGV getting ready for powder coating.

Cleaned up the rear caliper and carrier and gave them a coat of paint.

Need to order various fasteners to spruce it back up.

20230402_155255.JPEG

20230402_155317.JPEG

• Like 2

Some hardy, winter riding souls on here.  I did consider, as every weekend, some bikey things.

I answered a message from someone on ebay waiting for delivery of a  DT175mx fuel tank I flogged him.  So that is a bikey thing I think.

Was going to pull out the VFR750 and give it a wash to get all the winter storage silicone spray off it, and check it over as it was a sunny day.

I stood looking at the shed door.  Gave my cheek and chin a scratch.  Scratched my backside, sniffed the air.  It felt cold.  Too cold to be washing a bike that did not need washing.

Looked through the shed window to check that there was still a large lump hiding under some blankets.  There was.

Scanned around to check that the various flashing lights and readouts in the shed were still in fact flashing, and reading out.  They were.

Retreated indoors.  Another bikey thing done.

Laid on sofa watching youtube vids while sipping a beverage made of ground Arabica beans, looking through the patio windows into the conservatory at my Yamaha  DT175MX.  I have resolved to replace the generator side crank seal, reset the ignition timing, and pull the top end down to fit new rings; all in the name of  addressing a power delivery that falls far short of the rip snorting beast that my 17 year old self experienced, way back in the mists of time.

Of course this missing performance has nothing to do with my being a skinny runt in my youth, then years of bodybuilding and now with a lapsed bodybuilding, but enthusiastic beer drinking frame, weighing almost double and twice as wide as what I once did.

Anyhooo.  I was going to pry my sorry arse of the sofa and twiddle spanners, yet never did. 

The best laid plans of mice and men...

• Like 5

Trip out to Wales today. Went to one of my favourites the Elan Valley.  Stopped off at the Ascona cafe in Llandridod Wells which was heaving and food cheap and good as usual. Finished up at Claerwen dam which was impressive. Weather was not great early on, misty drizzle on the Clee Hills and a bit grey, clear blue sky's by the time I returned home. Just nice to get out and tried the recovered seat which I must say was an improvement and looks good. Police with a prolaser in a rural village in a 30 near knighton, no issue with that and in all fairness cop was dressed in high vis and there were a lot of bell ends about not really giving much consideration to the locals. Pics will follow shortly!

• Like 1

Bike came out of it's winter hibernation today, callipers, disks, pads cleaned up.

Washed and polished and looking great, bike goes in for service and new boots tomorrow, wallet is going to take a hammering, sooo looking forward to clocking up some UK smile miles in April and then off over the lumpy water end of May-June.

Bring it on!

• Like 3

Rode my first 400 miler of the year with a couple of mate's, did a very damp and muddy SWSPR , most guy's on KTM's and BMW, Neil takes his Harley!!! And Bob his ZZr400.

Only mishap was I flicked a stone from the back wheel,  though Neil's headlamp !!! You can see it in pictures!! 😬 

20230402_103206.jpg

20230402_103226.jpg

IMG-20230402-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230402-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230402-WA0000.jpg

Edited by oldgrump
Lost the photo's.
  • Like 6

Replaced the dodgy 12v spot switch. The switch worked, but the led was intermittent, which was pretty distracting.

IMG_20230405_144424.thumb.jpg.762bac40cf46a8559b0a86a84cc229fd.jpg

IMG_20230405_144455.thumb.jpg.34d08b285104e5871bdaf00c7edadef9.jpg

Also added an Amazon cheapo motion alarm. For £13 can't really argue, although the stock cable ties were crying out for an upgrade.

IMG_20230405_144905.thumb.jpg.039e40d671b390fdb9c8a58e071c60c1.jpgIMG_20230405_145138.thumb.jpg.b7f466e0e63f70da152d2295e94a5f2b.jpg

Edit: I know, I know, it's a ten year old Triumph, nobody is going to want to steal it 😂. It's more for the contents of the luggage while we're travelling.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 5