Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Funnily enough I had pizza tonight but one made by my wife from scratch. Good thick base, lashings of tomatoes, good salami, plenty of onions,  and loads of cheese with a few olives as garnish. Compared to the average takeaway it's like comparing an aged sirloin steak to a McD's burger. 😡😡

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 17:41, TimR said:

If it has no TPO and not located within a Conservation area all you require is the owners permission .

You do have the legal right to prune back to your boundary without permission.

However it is best to discuss with the owner , they nay be unaware its causing such an issue .

Do not listen to the old myth of just throwing the waste back as this can be seen as Flytipping.Even though the branches are still legally the property of the owner raise the waste disposal with the owner. If no permission given its just easier to dispose of them by yourself 

And if no permission given do not exceed the boundary UNLESS conformation is to the detriment of the tree 

And in any cases all works should be not to the detriment of the tree

( All cuts back to suitable pruning points even if this is not to the maximum permitted area .

I know all this - Thank you.

Good morning, snow and ice here today 😔 as the van does not have a heated screen and I don't like scraping ice and waiting for it to warm up I'm sat in the house having breakfast whilst a fan heater plugged into outside socket sorts that out.

Since I got my electric car I never scrapped my windscreen :) 

They have a timer that you can set that will heat up the car so when you get in it's nice and warm

39 minutes ago, husoi said:

They have a timer that you can set that will heat up the car so when you get in it's nice and warm

That's the bit about electric cars which has always puzzled me. Do they have an electric heater and does it have much impact on battery life, or range?

Not that could afford one anyway.

42 minutes ago, husoi said:

First thing I do when I get in the car after starting it is let both front windows down, the only time I use the heater is if there is heavy frost inside otherwise I just wipe it with a towel :lol:

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That's the bit about electric cars which has always puzzled me. Do they have an electric heater and does it have much impact on battery life, or range?

Not that could afford one anyway.

While plugged in they will take power from the charger so the % in the battery is not affected.

Because the car is warm when you start it the heater will take less power to keep the temperature. Most EV drivers make the mistake of turning the heating off when they start the car and turn it on again later because they are cold. that is a inefficient way to run an EV.

Similar to home central heating. if you turn it off completely if you go out for a few hours, the amount of energy required to bring the temperature up to "normal" is greater than lowering the temperature from 20c (20 or whatever you have it set to) to 15c while you're away.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dynax said:

First thing I do when I get in the car after starting it is let both front windows down, the only time I use the heater is if there is heavy frost inside otherwise I just wipe it with a towel :lol:

What that does is to reduce the amount of moist inside the car reducing fogging :thumb: 

Same as opening the visor while riding ;) 

1 minute ago, husoi said:

What that does is to reduce the amount of moist inside the car reducing fogging :thumb: 

Same as opening the visor while riding ;) 

This is true although they stay open until I get out of the car :lol:

The last few days work has been a PITA untreated roads I am not risking the bike.  Car gets used for walking wet dogs and a mile commute to work, which is not long enough to dry the car out, or keep the battery properly.
Routinely I have to defrost the inside and outside of the car.  If its not so cold to freeze the inside I use Squeegee to clear the inside, then drive with window cracked to try and change the damp air.

Before anyone says walk or cycle unlit roads no pavements and fast drivers not something I like the idea of.

9 hours ago, onesea said:

The last few days work has been a PITA untreated roads I am not risking the bike.  Car gets used for walking wet dogs and a mile commute to work, which is not long enough to dry the car out, or keep the battery properly.
Routinely I have to defrost the inside and outside of the car.  If its not so cold to freeze the inside I use Squeegee to clear the inside, then drive with window cracked to try and change the damp air.

Before anyone says walk or cycle unlit roads no pavements and fast drivers not something I like the idea of.

Oddly the inside of my car doesn’t ever need defrosting, maybe the aircon keeps it dry? My first mini though often had more ice on the inside than out. !

Guest Swagman
28 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oddly the inside of my car doesn’t ever need defrosting, maybe the aircon keeps it dry? My first mini though often had more ice on the inside than out. !

Is that the mini or the fake German version.

My Disco has a heated screen, plus the added bonus of an app that lets you set the interior temperature remotely so at this time of year the engine starts, heats the interior & defrosts the windows while I drink my cuppa - all while being securely locked.

Only downside is that it doesn’t switch on the heated seats or heated steering wheel, I have to wait until I’m in it to do that!!

21 minutes ago, Swagman said:

Is that the mini or the fake German version.

The mini of course, the one you used to look at the rain and wonder if it would start, the one with a gear stick that really was a stick that simply disappeared through a cross cut in the carpet floor, the one where the locks would freeze shut with no hope of getting a tiny metal key in, the one with ‘heaters’ that would finally put put a wisp of warm air just as you arrived at your destination, the one with windscreen wipers that were too busy having a party to effectively clear the windscreen, the one where you had to know exactly how far to pull out the choke and how long leave it warming before you could start it, the one before abs that you could skid around in, the one that had by the end of its life been more than one car because parts were endlessly replaceable and it was cheap because seemingly anyone could work on it. 

Wish I hadn’t let it go, great car.

• Like 3