Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good Afternoon :-D

Got up far too early! kids are still off school making a noise.

It will be at least the weekend before we go to a Pub :scratch:

Don't worry Ian. I'm supping for you too....lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Evening all. Woke up to snow but had all melted by the time I left at 0900. Unfortunately between Stroud and Bourton it hadn't melted so spent a tense hour negotiating lanes covered in slush and getting splattered by lorries going the other way. Poor bike ended up filthy.

From Stow it was okay and enjoyed the Fosse Way. After Leicester it was all a bit blah though so hit the A1 and pegged it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@Bender two day job sadly :roll:

I cant wait until wife gets home from work and see's we cant use the living room tonight 😆

Hmmmmm I know a few folk where it's been quoted 2days, ours was a done in a day and they had 20bags of rubble and a fair bit of opening out to do.

The wife kindly said to them ohhh my husband will shift that, so they left it all piled up for me.

• Haha 3

Last year I made some benches for the garden based on a Leopold bench design. I have finally got around to creating some basic drawings (barely GCE grade c standard, I admit) and photographs showing a little detail. 

I thought I’d share. Each bench cost around £40 so a significant saving against buying them (I made 6 of them).

All wood is 195mm x 47mm treated round edge timber. 

The back rest is 121cm long. The seats 115.5cm long.

The three holes for which I’ve given positions are for bolts to clamp the legs together. All other fixings were 70mm x 5mm screws set according to need. 

I have used a couple of the triangular offcuts as bracing struts under the seat (see photos). It’s worthwhile as it makes the bench much more rigid, resistant to lateral wobble.

This is not a comprehensive instruction set but, hopefully, with a little practical thought will act as a reasonable guide.

The benches I’ve made, you’ll note, have little platforms on each end, for a cup of tea / coffee (other beverages are available). These were made from offcuts of wood I had available, so not drawn.

PS. I’m happy to answer questions in case I’ve missed anything obvious or there’s any ambiguity.

BED48267-E9A0-4464-A2D6-3B30B14B81FC.jpeg

2E5E7B0B-4B94-4CD3-996A-B674FAF00E30.jpeg

EDB027BA-C460-492C-A01D-3A457F5C7E49.jpeg

0F62E06F-10EA-48B9-BC85-1C157567EDC2.jpeg

5FE41C0F-29C9-45EA-B11D-2FC95997DEE2.jpeg

1EC66A73-F355-4BB3-B135-E9323719F706.jpeg

F6257FBB-66ED-490F-BD9F-C616152E90A5.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 6

On 09/04/2021 at 18:39, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The one with the steering box and so many joints between that and the front wheels that directional control was largely a matter of luck.

Burman recirculating ball steering box to be precise. Had one wear a new groove in the steering rod. Made going round bends fun.

13 minutes ago, dynax said:

Good morning another frosty start but bright sunshine again :thumb:

Good morning. 

I have a tricky choice today. Decorating. Or go for a ride on the bike. 

🤔

• Haha 1

@Stu bathroom is finished except for the towel cupboard. Its a floor to ceiling thing that many moons ago was the airing cupboard with an immersion heater. I'm awaiting the new doors still as they are a stupidly odd size that had to be made bespoke :roll:

Not looking forward to it as it is the walls are full of pipework that needs boxing in to make it look nice but there are things that we still need access to like the stop tap and the filling loop for the boiler.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@Stu bathroom is finished except for the towel cupboard. Its a floor to ceiling thing that many moons ago was the airing cupboard with an immersion heater. I'm awaiting the new doors still as they are a stupidly odd size that had to be made bespoke :roll:

Not looking forward to it as it is the walls are full of pipework that needs boxing in to make it look nice but there are things that we still need access to like the stop tap and the filling loop for the boiler.

I’m in the process of building an airing cupboard, as well as a shelving unit in the study, both will need bespoke doors (the hot water cylinder cupboard in the main bathroom had them, too). Since none of the walls or ceilings are straight or square I’m having to cut some very odd shapes to make the surrounds fit. I haven’t done much woodworking since school so this is a massive learning curve. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I still haven't finished our bedroom and the wardrobes yet :oops:

Had a few things get in the way like work and car trouble! plus being helping a mate with his house too 

He has a disabled wife and is ripping his kitchen out to make a bathroom and putting a new kitchen in where the dining room was plus extending out 4.5 x 4.5 metres! 

All hands on deck 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1