Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

I arranged the transfer of insurance cover from our current car to the one we’re collecting tomorrow. Effectively the same car just several years newer I was expecting a commensurate increase in premium. Nope, £1.50 a month cheaper. You could have knocked me down with a feather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/04/2021 at 11:47, Steve_M said:

Replacement car bought this morning. Hopefully, collect on Friday.

Nothing flash, Ford Focus Econet to replace our current Ford Focus Econet. Just in a nice blue rather than black. 

Picked up the new (to us) car. I was really quite happy with the previous model’s features so it’s come as a bit of a surprise just how many changes have been made to this later model, from the fuel filler on the other side of the car to reverse gear selection diagonally across from where it was. I’m about to go and sit in it with the handbook to work out how to use all the revised / new features. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Picked up the new (to us) car. I was really quite happy with the previous model’s features so it’s come as a bit of a surprise just how many changes have been made to this later model, from the fuel filler on the other side of the car to reverse gear selection diagonally across from where it was. I’m about to go and sit in it with the handbook to work out how to use all the revised / new features. 

“Handbook” ??? Bloody “Handbook” ??

hand back your Man card & hang your head in shame, bloody “Handbook” - pfft

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

30 years of working in IT telling people to “RTFM” has led me down this very slippery slope. 

*Head hanging in shame*... 🤔

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickly said:

I've had my car for 10 years now and am proud to say I have no idea what most of the buttons on the console and steering wheel do. Apparently it has a radio and CD player somewhere in there somewhere.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

So what is the new car, you didn't do an @Stu did you, presumably as it's same as old car it's reliable.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

So what is the new car, you didn't do an @Stu did you, presumably as it's same as old car it's reliable.

It’s a Ford Focus Econet. A 1litre, three cylinder motor which pushes out (allegedly) a monstrous 125bhp. We were happy with our old one but after eight years of abuse it was starting to get a bit careworn, hence the change.

4B75C799-5E90-49B6-B4BA-5273A67432D0.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Steve_M said:

It’s a Ford Focus Econet. A 1litre, three cylinder motor which pushes out (allegedly) a monstrous 125bhp. We were happy with our old one but after eight years of abuse it was starting to get a bit careworn, hence the change.

Least it's a ford, and not a ford pretending to be a Volvo 😁 

Last time the wife switched from a focus to another focus she didn't like it, car was fine she just felt like she didn't change cars.

Looks good, think that little engine is used in all sorts now 👍 

38 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Be interested to hear how you find the engine. I can't get my head round the size of some modern cars with such tiny engines. 

• Like 1

I put a new battery on the campervan today and all appears to be well :thumb:

I did manage to shear 1 of the rods for the securing bracket though! 

I am a multi skilled, widely experienced engineer!

Why is it that whatever/whenever I try to do even the simplest job at home everything goes tits up? :laugh:

I too can't quite get my head around these modern small engines :scratch:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rennie said:

I put a new battery on the campervan today and all appears to be well :thumb:

I did manage to shear 1 of the rods for the securing bracket though! 

I am a multi skilled, widely experienced engineer!

Why is it that whatever/whenever I try to do even the simplest job at home everything goes tits up? :laugh:

I too can't quite get my head around these modern small engines :scratch:

It's all in the name of eco mate. :salute:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Be interested to hear how you find the engine. I can't get my head round the size of some modern cars with such tiny engines. 

It’s, effectively, the same engine as our previous model.  Quick it ain’t (though a possible  0-100kph in  10 seconds isn’t too shabby, I guess) but it’s adequate for our needs.  

With an overall average fuel consumption of around 42mpg for me, with my lead boots, it seems pretty fair. 

The old one’s RFL was £30 pa, this one’s £155 pa. 

We bought the previous one after asking Honest John’s advice when he wrote for the Telegraph. It had an options package (fancy alloys, low profile tyres, tinted rear windows...). This one is better for not having the low profile tyres (yea gods, they were expensive to replace, and gave a harsh ride) though I may get the rear windows tinted....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The idea is drive it off boost and it's a 1tr, hammer it and it's a 2ltr, turbo rule of thumb was doubling engine capacy, 3 cylinders keeps costs down and reduces friction, at the cost of some smoothness, now if only they would do a big v twin 😁 

• Like 3