Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good afternoon

I'm back to work today, I've just spent 2 weeks doing a tour of Japan with the mrs. It was a long pair of flights to get back, 11.5 and 7.5 hours back to back.

We did a fair bit, starting in Tokyo we did a day of exploring the city, using the subway system to get everywhere. Seeing the Skytree, the huge shopping areas with the massive screens advertising all sorts of weird stuff, and then spent a couple of days at their two Disney parks.

Then we went to Kyoto and spent 5 days there, exploring both the cities and doing day trips. I really liked this city as it was the cultural capital of Japan and the side streets were something I loved getting lost in, as well as eating in the ramen places where google translate was the only way I could communicate what I wanted. We saw the famous vermilion torii gates at the Inari shrine, 4km of them up a hillside. 

We went to Hiroshima for a day trip by bullet train, and it was a very unsettling day, but important to see. You don't even remotely get told the real story in school or on western TV, you sort of end up hating the state of the world as it is now. We then went over to Nara and the ancient forests/shrines as well as deer that literally bow to you when you approach with food. We then made our way to lake Kawaguchi where Mount Fuji is, and that was one heck of a thing to see in the flesh. We climbed a local shrine that was several stair cases that took 15 minutes of steady marching to get to the top. 

After a couple of days, we headed back to Tokyo, but this time on the other side of the city so we could see some of the bigger parks and the imperial castle. The last day was due to have a lot of rain after 2 weeks of sunshine, so I scored some cheap tickets back to Disney to see out our last full day. 

My main take away is, have a data sim for your phone and you pretty much can manage everything easily. But most of the time I was able to work stuff out quite quickly, and it wasn't the scary experience as often made out on TV. The language is hard, but there's usually numbers/times shown on boards so you can work out train/platforms easy enough. I'm suffering a lot of jetlag, and a lot of reverse culture shock coming back. I didn't realise how far behind we are in some ways :lol:

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I am sat in the pouring rain with everything lashed down and double guy ropes everywhere. And there's some daft sod on a motorbike come back looking somewhat soggy and dejected. I don't think he checked the forecast. 

I have been out on the bike 2 days in a row in the heavy rain, both times soaked through to the skin, water running down the crack of my arse, freezing cold wet bollox, and I was still smiling 🤣:thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Howling wind all night. And when morning comes and it quieten downs the fluffy lambs decide it's time to start bleating. 

Why did we come to Wales in April? 

I'm hoping it settles down as I'm in Anglesey in a couple of weeks for a family gathering, and the house is on a hill overlooking the Menai strait. The two land masses of the island and mainland act like a venturi and the wind can feel pretty mad. But it sounds insane at night.

And I have a girlfriend who sleeps straight through these things, but wakes up the whallop me for breathing (not snoring) too loudly so I'm currently praying for good conditions not just so I can take the bike, but for my sanity :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/04/2023 at 12:56, Fozzie said:

Good afternoon

I'm back to work today, I've just spent 2 weeks doing a tour of Japan with the mrs. It was a long pair of flights to get back, 11.5 and 7.5 hours back to back.

We did a fair bit, starting in Tokyo we did a day of exploring the city, using the subway system to get everywhere. Seeing the Skytree, the huge shopping areas with the massive screens advertising all sorts of weird stuff, and then spent a couple of days at their two Disney parks.

Then we went to Kyoto and spent 5 days there, exploring both the cities and doing day trips. I really liked this city as it was the cultural capital of Japan and the side streets were something I loved getting lost in, as well as eating in the ramen places where google translate was the only way I could communicate what I wanted. We saw the famous vermilion torii gates at the Inari shrine, 4km of them up a hillside. 

We went to Hiroshima for a day trip by bullet train, and it was a very unsettling day, but important to see. You don't even remotely get told the real story in school or on western TV, you sort of end up hating the state of the world as it is now. We then went over to Nara and the ancient forests/shrines as well as deer that literally bow to you when you approach with food. We then made our way to lake Kawaguchi where Mount Fuji is, and that was one heck of a thing to see in the flesh. We climbed a local shrine that was several stair cases that took 15 minutes of steady marching to get to the top. 

After a couple of days, we headed back to Tokyo, but this time on the other side of the city so we could see some of the bigger parks and the imperial castle. The last day was due to have a lot of rain after 2 weeks of sunshine, so I scored some cheap tickets back to Disney to see out our last full day. 

My main take away is, have a data sim for your phone and you pretty much can manage everything easily. But most of the time I was able to work stuff out quite quickly, and it wasn't the scary experience as often made out on TV. The language is hard, but there's usually numbers/times shown on boards so you can work out train/platforms easy enough. I'm suffering a lot of jetlag, and a lot of reverse culture shock coming back. I didn't realise how far behind we are in some ways :lol:

We're doing japan next year, don't forget useful stuff I will be in touch 😁 

9 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I'm hoping it settles down as I'm in Anglesey in a couple of weeks for a family gathering, and the house is on a hill overlooking the Menai strait. The two land masses of the island and mainland act like a venturi and the wind can feel pretty mad. But it sounds insane at night.

And I have a girlfriend who sleeps straight through these things, but wakes up the whallop me for breathing (not snoring) too loudly so I'm currently praying for good conditions not just so I can take the bike, but for my sanity :lol:

I think Anglesey has its very own micro climate. Once camped at Niwbwrch Llanfairpwllgwyngyll at Awelfryn Campsite, beautiful view of the Llyn Peninsula, it was pishing it down over the Peninsula and lightening, although cracking the flags at the campsite. 😁

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Well, wasn't expecting all this crap on the mountain road today! 

Mountain Road 12:04.jpeg

well as you know only too well manxie the rock has it's own micro climate 😄

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

I think Anglesey has its very own micro climate. Once camped at Niwbwrch Llanfairpwllgwyngyll at Awelfryn Campsite, beautiful view of the Llyn Peninsula, it was pishing it down over the Peninsula and lightening, although cracking the flags at the campsite. 😁

It certainly does. My mother's side of the family are from there. The weather systems go over the island and hit the mainland before dumping all the rain. 

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

well as you know only too well manxie the rock has it's own micro climate 😄

You’re right there, you can have four seasons in one day depending on which part of the rock you travel to 😂

On 11/04/2023 at 12:56, Fozzie said:

Good afternoon

Decidedly envious… 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Decidedly envious… 

Something I've been surprised by is how many people have said this is high up their list, or even a dream destination when I've mentioned it. I've always seen the majority of "holiday talk" effectively been a brag on how far someone traveled to find a beach that is 95% the same as any other in my books :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Something I've been surprised by is how many people have said this is high up their list, or even a dream destination when I've mentioned it. I've always seen the majority of "holiday talk" effectively been a brag on how far someone traveled to find a beach that is 95% the same as any other in my books :lol:

As a young, fit, and moderately good judoka, visiting and training at the Kodokan was an ambition. Too bloody old to do that now but I still like the idea of visiting.

Beach holidays are my idea of hell. 

Edited by Steve_M
Misspelling
  • Like 3