Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

On 23/04/2022 at 09:33, MikeHorton said:

Interesting electric news

Visordown: Could niobium be the future of electric bikes? Horwin thinks so.
https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/could-niobium-be-future-electric-bikes-horwin-thinks-so

If this is what I think it is, they are replacing the graphite in the battery with a nickel based product. It allows for much faster charge times, and it makes for a smaller battery due to a better power density. In theory, they also have longer lifespans. 

However I'm constantly intrigued with this "charge in 10 minutes" slogan they use. I don't think it's possible in the near future, as home chargers are limited to about 11kW generally. And take 6-8 hours to charge most EV cars, condensing that to under an hour, would require a big chunk of power. So it likely won't change anything in peoples homes.

Some chargers I've seen are 150kW. Which will put a fair old shock on the grid if lots of those go live at once, or drop off for that matter. I've seen that they ramp up slowly when plugged in, likely to not stress the battery, and let the grid adapt. So I'm interested to know if the new breed of battery has been modeled on what the grid can deliver. If we go to chargers in excess of 500kW (or about the power of a small factory, or supermarket distribution centre uses), I wonder what balancing measures, or constraints will be imposed by the grid. 

It's a big old problem, and we haven't much time to figure it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

If this is what I think it is, they are replacing the graphite in the battery with a nickel based product. It allows for much faster charge times, and it makes for a smaller battery due to a better power density. In theory, they also have longer lifespans. 

However I'm constantly intrigued with this "charge in 10 minutes" slogan they use. I don't think it's possible in the near future, as home chargers are limited to about 11kW generally. And take 6-8 hours to charge most EV cars, condensing that to under an hour, would require a big chunk of power. So it likely won't change anything in peoples homes.

Some chargers I've seen are 150kW. Which will put a fair old shock on the grid if lots of those go live at once, or drop off for that matter. I've seen that they ramp up slowly when plugged in, likely to not stress the battery, and let the grid adapt. So I'm interested to know if the new breed of battery has been modeled on what the grid can deliver. If we go to chargers in excess of 500kW (or about the power of a small factory, or supermarket distribution centre uses), I wonder what balancing measures, or constraints will be imposed by the grid. 

It's a big old problem, and we haven't much time to figure it out.

Like everything not very well thought in terms of infrastructure . I thought a few years ago if common batteries existed and were small enough to just swap out you could swap a depleted for charged one at a charging station. My neighbours are just sorting there outside power sockets this will save me money and reduce my carbon footprint if I just use their electric! 

Probably the aluminium air battery, that has the capability to be a use one and replace style battery. Can be made entirely recyclable too. They have a power density about 5-6 times greater than lithium ion batteries, with a theoretical limit over 20 times if the tech is developed. Would allow you to load a couple of cells into a car/bike and ride away for a few hundred miles. 

If the sockets have a cable going under ground, just dig it up, install a junction box, and run a cable to your own home underground. Why bother with the inconvenience of having to remember to unplug before they wake up, when you can just thieve it without them ever knowing? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Feels more like good night to me as I’m fast approaching the end of a night shift. Finishing at 8 then off to the dealership for 10. Hopefully in bed by 11:30 (am)

but, the weekend starts here. Off till Friday night 8pm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I am on a schools Zoom meeting and the woman leading it is using the word "actually" literally every other word. It is driving me round the bend.

Must be figuratively rather than actually? 

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2022 at 22:01, Tiggie said:

@Stu You nearly had to elect a new Mod tonight. I started choking on my tea and had to be given the heimlich by the Wife!! :shock:

I felt something stuck in my throat but could still breath ok so I took a swig of cider to wash it down, It didn't go down and I was just filling my throat up with cider to the point I couldn't breathe, a couple of squeezes from her and it dislodged and went down. 2 minutes later and I'm finishing my plate while she was sat shaking from the adrenaline rush!! :lol:

If your missus really did execute the Heimlich Manoeuvre you are advised to get checked out by a doctor (or at a hospital) as there could be internal damage caused.

• Like 2

Yes she did. Thankfully on the second squeeze it dislodged and went down so not too worried about internal issues. I think of she hadn't I would of been able to bring it up myself eventually ( well I hope so!) As I don't think it was too badly stuck

Only damage is to her mood as she's seen her chance at a life insurance payment slip through her fingers :wink:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Only damage is to her mood as she's seen her chance at a life insurance payment slip through her fingers :wink:

The reason I don't have life insurance...

I do have a will, that leaves everything to my partner... 

Only because I understand that she would get the debts and X wife would get the assets if I didn't.  

I was quite happy to leave the x-wife everything till learned that... 

I know which is bigger...

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onesea said:

The reason I don't have life insurance...

I do have a will, that leaves everything to my partner... 

Only because I understand that she would get the debts and X wife would get the assets if I didn't.  

I was quite happy to leave the x-wife everything till learned that... 

I know which is bigger...

Can you not choose a beneficiary for your life insurance policy? 

I think if I die at work, my brother is paid out on the companies life insurance policy. He's been told what to do with the funds should it happen. 

Life insurance is an iffy topic with me, as I know I should probably get it. But the only time I've been asked, was years back by an ex partner within a week of me reaching the low point I'd written down (and hidden) a note explaining that I felt like ending myself. 

Could your ex claim on a life insurance policy if it paid out to your partner? A girl at work just left her husband after only a year as he was playing away. And has been told it was such a short marriage, any claim he'd make would be thrown out. 

Good morning :thumb:

Don't know whether to work the weekend or not, I don't have to work it but I have no plans so I could.

We are currently relocating and I have been given the job of fitting out the new shop, and I am really enjoying it, working alone at my own pace and it is relatively clean, no knocking out chimneys being covered in soot and bird crap, and it is in a town centre surrounded by bakeries and coffee shops which might be busier at the weekend, also just around the corner is a Thai massage parlour what is not to like :lol:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, dynax said:

Good morning :thumb:

Don't know whether to work the weekend or not, I don't have to work it but I have no plans so I could.

We are currently relocating and I have been given the job of fitting out the new shop, and I am really enjoying it, working alone at my own pace and it is relatively clean, no knocking out chimneys being covered in soot and bird crap, and it is in a town centre surrounded by bakeries and coffee shops which might be busier at the weekend, also just around the corner is a Thai massage parlour what is not to like :lol:

Is it a nice ride in? Is there safe parking for your bike?

You asked what not to like, then you cannot have everything..

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2022 at 21:14, Tiggie said:

Guess what my lovely co-workers pointed out today?............I don't see it myself!! :shock:

PXL_20220412_114219258.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-124055~2.png

which co worker the one who swears he's Elvis ?

• Haha 2