University Help Please

JackBradshaw96

Hello all,

My name is Jack Bradshaw and I am a University student. I am currently in my final year of study and hope that I can gain some help and answers from some of the users in this forum.

For my major project, I am creating a product to help remove distractions whilst riding a motorbike. Through research, I have highlighted a few distractions which I believe I can create a product to improve these issues. Admin, please feel free to remove this post and message me if there are any issues.

My aim for joining this group is to gain more knowledge from the users on this page through a group discussion and a few questions.

Through research the main distraction which I have chosen to take a look into is navigation.

Any comments used will be completely anonymous and confidential. Should you want a comment removed please feel free to message me and this shall be removed and deleted instantly from any work or recordings.

What do you use for your navigation?

How often do you use this?

Do you believe this is an issue or could be improved?

Have you ever had any accidents or close calls due to this or any other distractions? Could you explain what and why?

Thank you for reading this and please if you have any further comments or additional information please feel free to share.

Have you ever had any accidents or close calls due to this or any other distractions? Could you explain what and why?

Thank you for reading this and please if you have any further comments or additional information please feel free to share.

What do you use for your navigation? - On short trips I use waze on the phone, touring I am planning to get a dedicated sat-nav

How often do you use this? Always

Do you believe this is an issue or could be improved? Not really

No accidents

I have used phones either in my pocket (with headphones to listen to directions) or mounted on handlebars. I have even gone old school and taped road directions to my petrol tank.

No accidents

Phone mounted on handlebars.

Depends on my intended journey 50% of time.

What is an issue? If your talking navigation There will always be improvements, much is opinion, some say use a map.

Plenty of distractions on the roads, I Sail so boats are distraction I have dogs so dogs are a distraction, I eat so food shops are a distraction.

Even reading a private number plate or bumper sticker is a distraction.

I have had 2 offs, neither where as such my "fault"or involved Navigation. However I did not see or think of the hazard coming so I must of been distracted or not riding to see the hazard. There are always close call we avoid because we see the signs and warnings...

What do you use for your navigation? Phone

How often do you use this? Maybe 20 times a yearish

Do you believe this is an issue or could be improved? An option to make the display less cluttered with map detail and info might be useful.

Have you ever had any accidents or close calls due to this or any other distractions? Could you explain what and why? Using sat nav- I once jammed on the brakes to make a left turn I was gonna miss because I wasn’t checking the sat nav directions in time. I checked there was no one behind me first but I know it was too much cos the ABS kicked in. No accident occurred, just felt like a tit.

Changed lane three times because it wasn’t clear which lane went where, there was room to do it but I’m pretty sure I pissed off every car driver behind me. It would have annoyed me, I would have been muttering “make up your bloody mind” If the sat nav gave clearer verbal lane advice and said “2nd lane” or “middle lane” I might have not weaved all over the shop.

I’m distracted by anything unusual or interesting and as I find a lot of things interesting the only cure would be horse blinkers and Im not sure but they might cause other issues :lol:

How long counts as distracted? I glance at all sorts of stuff when I ride along... I like the colour of that door, oh that tree looks very green, look at that view, christ that’s a lot of leaves, oh dear they shouldn’t be wearing leggings, I can smell curry where’s that coming from?

But really unless your a moron who probably shouldn’t be riding a bike you don’t allow yourself to become distracted cos you know it may lead to your untimely demise.

Having said that a friend of mine was pulling up to the lights and sat at the bus stop where two good looking young women giggling in his direction, he was so busy looking at them trying to be cool he rode into the back of a lorry. Wrote his bike off, still makes me laugh now.

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

I use "Cycle Travel" ... strangely for cyclists .. for i am one ...

It avoids motorways and allows either pdf mapping print offs in strip format or route directions in print only ... I cut them out and place them in the clear pocket on my tank bag ....It's free ... and easy to use ....

" This is the way " Mandolorian ...

It avoids motorways and allows either pdf mapping print offs in strip format or route directions in print only ... I cut them out and place them in the clear pocket on my tank bag ....It's free ... and easy to use ....

I do old skool directions taped to the tank as well, but it all goes tits up if you take a wrong turn, miss a junction or have to follow a diversion

I do old skool directions taped to the tank as well, but it all goes tits up if you take a wrong turn, miss a junction or have to follow a diversion

So you get lost ... great joy ..... :D

I have a look at a map before I set off . If I'm going anywhere specific I get to within five miles or so and then stop for a cup of tea and consult my phone . Mostly though , know where I'm going or don't particularly care .

Used to use a Garmin Zumo. I'd use it most (1/2 - 2/3rds) of the time; Even if I knew the way, as it would mean I'd worry less about going past my turning, and focus on the road instead. I'd use it without audio, so I'd glance down to see how far to the next junction, and then not look it again until I was near. The distraction was no more than it took to check my speed - so quite safe, and I never had a "moment" with it, although there were a few occasions where, needing to keep my eyes on the road, I went past the turning.

Later I paired it to my earphones, to get audio instructions as well, thinking this would help. But I couldn't get it work reliably - the audio would come and go (I think it was fighting with my phone for access to the earphones). On one occasion it went silent for over an hour and poured out all the instructions it had saved up in a continuous stream for about 5 minutes. Not great.

The other thing that was irritating was when you had to modify a route in the middle of a ride - the only safe way was to stop for 5 minutes and poke the nav into submission until it showed the new route.

I've now got rid of it, and instead I'm going to use my phone in a holder attached to the bars. Google maps or waze probably (I like the way you can send a route directly from google maps to your phone - a whole lot easier than with a sat nav). Bluetooth between the phone and earphones will be reliable without any other devices trying to get their oar in, and I can use voice instructions to get the phone to do what I want ("Hey Google, stop the music"). I've not yet tried it out on the bike for real, but I'm hoping for solution where I don't have to look at the screen unless I really want to, and where I can get the machine to do what I want without having to stop, get off and reprogram it.

Never had a close call from using a sat nav. Close calls due to other distractions? Oh yes, far too many. I once ran my car clean off the road, into a wood, and totalled it against a tree, all because I saw something in the valley that looked just a bit different from usual.

The very first time I needed to use a satnav on the bike I took the old TomTom out of the car and stuck it in the map pocket of my tank bag. Unfortunately I forgot to disable the 'rotate display' function before I set off, so every time I leant into a corner the f*cking map turned upside down!

:lol:

Improving road signage would be more beneficial, there is so much traffic about that makes the painted road markings useless.

There needs to be a better system in place to alert road users, especially at junctions and multi exit roundabouts on lane positioning :thumb:

Thank you all for your replies, it helps a lot :D

Adding onto this, for the guys who use just audio, do you use this method due to the distraction of looking down at the nav? Or find this method easier?

And on the other foot, for those who do not just use audio, and use the screen or paper maps, do you use this because you don't trust the audio? You dislike not having the visual?

Again thanks all who reply, really helps.

Jack

Prefer visual cos you can glance at it like a map, it’s the third road on the left ahead etc where as the audio isn’t always clear which turning it means especially when there’s more than one road bunched up with another.

You have ridden round the motorway junction being told take the next exit several times as well the :lol:

Another is double Mini roundabouts where the voice just cannot keep up a quick glance says it all..