Next project .

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

Bit of an update . I've told the owner that it needs new valve guides that cost £45 and he's not interested . He's basically asked me to put it together anyway . To say that this goes against everything I stand for would be an understatement . Turns out that he just wants to sell it on . I'll do the job but my heart is no longer in it . 

well thats bad form no wonder you have lost interest in the job, you dont fancy buying it off him Bob ?

15 minutes ago, Six30 said:

what a twat  , for the sake of £45 ... how much will he want for bike when it s running @fastbob

15 minutes ago, Six30 said:

what a twat  , for the sake of £45 ... how much will he want for bike when it s running @fastbob

just dont know where the guy is coming from from for 45 notes the job is worth doing 🤨

Edited by skyrider

2 hours ago, Old-codger said:

I see your point Bob if he is not willing to pay a small amount to get the job done properly I would walk away and let him try and sell it as a non runner and see where it gets him. Or you could make him a cheeky offer to take it off his hands and do it to your usual standard Bob. 

Both of these options have crossed my mind but without going into detail it's a little more complicated than that . Let's just say that I have a vested interest in remaining in favour with the owner . I'll just stick to the brief and get it out of my workspace and see what comes along next . 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

Both of these options have crossed my mind but without going into detail it's a little more complicated than that . Let's just say that I have a vested interest in remaining in favour with the owner . I'll just stick to the brief and get it out of my workspace and see what comes along next . 

we know exactly what you mean 

Several options have crossed my mind but without going into detail it's a little more complicated than that . Let's just say that I have a vested interest in remaining in favour with the owner . I'll just stick to the brief and get it out of my workspace and see what comes along next . 

So , I got stuck in today . I've assembled the cylinder head to see where everything goes and to make sure all the bolts are there which they are . I've lapped the valves and installed the springs and split cotters , stripped out and fettled the rockers and shafts , checked out the oil passages and installed all the new studs that hold the intake manifold . It's all got to come apart again to fit it to the barrels . Considering this thing is nearly sixty years old it's nice to find that there are no stripped threads anywhere . 

IMG_20210102_230212441.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2

Who spotted those ridiculous finned tappet covers ? A real 70's trinket . I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my bike or else they would be straight into the bin . 

• Like 1

Right then . A preliminary gentle bolt together to make sure everything fits . I haven't put the pushrods in yet but it's got compression and the oil pump works . But that's not the point right now . Dosen't it look pretty ? 

IMG_20210103_154448043.jpg

IMG_20210103_154516125.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice indeed!!!!

I would like slightly lower bars and if carrying a passenger have a good look at the exhaust/ footrest interface.

But overall what a lovely little thing.

Shame he wont let you loose with less budget restraint.

Any chance he might reconsider once he sees these pics?

Cheers

Ian

12 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Very nice indeed!!!!

I would like slightly lower bars and if carrying a passenger have a good look at the exhaust/ footrest interface.

But overall what a lovely little thing.

Shame he wont let you loose with less budget restraint.

Any chance he might reconsider once he sees these pics?

Cheers

Ian

I'm not too bothered . I'm enjoying myself and I'm refreshing my Brit Bike skills and knowledge . I can better appreciate the " Jap crap " tag . This thing is in a different league as far as materials go . 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

I'm not too bothered . I'm enjoying myself and I'm refreshing my Brit Bike skills and knowledge . I can better appreciate the " Jap crap " tag . This thing is in a different league as far as materials go . 

Oh how very true! I occasionally get called on to look after a friends Bonneville and the quality of the fastenings and the general metal/ machining is quite refreshing.

Mind you when you find some previous twat has bodged something it is quite often harder to repair I find.

Good luck with it as it looks sweet.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Right then . A preliminary gentle bolt together to make sure everything fits . I haven't put the pushrods in yet but it's got compression and the oil pump works . But that's not the point right now . Dosen't it look pretty ? 

are they original bars for it Bob ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Six30 said:

are they original bars for it Bob ?

Probably not . This is what it should look like . I think someone took off the nacelle and fitted a Tacho . 

Polish_20210103_171434459.png

Edited by fastbob

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Yes, very pretty...and I’m sure that the next owner will think that .... until they find out the mechanical truth !!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Yes, very pretty...and I’m sure that the next owner will think that .... until they find out the mechanical truth !!

Well they can always sort it out . It's only a few hours work with a hammer . 

2 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Hee Hee and the knowledge to use a percussive implement and not just "Twat it in !" Lol

You may get to see this little puppy again if a sympathetic owner appears to rescue it.

Cheers Ian

5 minutes ago, fastbob said:

As long as they know what they are getting into and not duped by the shiney appearance!!

4 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Put a sticker on with your number saying reassembled by Rob, can restore this, call on 6388473783838

Don`t be daft that would almost be the same as saying I agree with the owner who decided to sell knowing there was still work to do !

After all Bob has already said he has other reasons to go along with this I am pretty certain he wont want to be associated with it when it goes "home".

I think keeping ones head down is the safer policy on this.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Don't know what to say really, some people just don't deserve nice things.

I don't know how much it would sell for but £45 for some peace of mind is nothing, he sounds like a complete w@nker tbh :twisted: