How do you actually pick a bike?

Silentbob83

Just now, skyrider said:

probably enjoyable at the time though :classic_laugh:

Great fun. Fabulous sound at higher revs. An hour of riding at a time was quite enough, though. Especially compared with the VFR which was an armchair by comparison.

@Silentbob83

Some people pass their test and immediately know what they want, and go out and buy it. As for me, I hadn't a clue. I hardly knew one end of a motorbike from the other, and hadn't a single idea of what I wanted to ride. So I bought a friend's bike - an old 500 - and rode it happily for a few years. When eventually I found *the* bike, I pxed the 500 for not much less than I paid for it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bonio said:

@Silentbob83

Some people pass their test and immediately know what they want, and go out and buy it. As for me, I hadn't a clue. I hardly knew one end of a motorbike from the other, and hadn't a single idea of what I wanted to ride. So I bought a friend's bike - an old 500 - and rode it happily for a few years. When eventually I found *the* bike, I pxed the 500 for not much less than I paid for it. 

my next bike after i passed my test was a 1980 gs550e 

41 minutes ago, skyrider said:

my next bike after i passed my test was a 1980 gs550e 

My first " Big " bike was also a GS 550 e . 4.4 seat , Micron exhaust and drag bars . 

9 hours ago, bonio said:

@Silentbob83

I think this is probably the route I will be going down.

Get an ‘interim’ bike to gain more experience whilst trying to make sense of what everything means and what I really want.

So far it is between a 2016 Cb500f and a 2012 XJ6 Diversion F. At dealers 10mins from. However the XJ6 dealer is pay and deliver so no viewing or sitting which is freaking me out a bit as I’m concerned about the weight being 30ish kg heavier than the heaviest bike I’ve ridden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silentbob83 said:

Get an ‘interim’ bike to gain more experience whilst trying to make sense of what everything means and what I really want.

So far it is between a 2016 Cb500f and a 2012 XJ6 Diversion F. At dealers 10mins from. However the XJ6 dealer is pay and deliver so no viewing or sitting which is freaking me out a bit as I’m concerned about the weight being 30ish kg heavier than the heaviest bike I’ve ridden.

XJ6 (naked) was the bike I did my DAS on. I disengaged my inbuilt "complicator" and found myself a faired version of it with ABS. It's light to handle (dunno, maybe good weight distribution), I can control how lively it is by choosing rpms (if I keep it below 5k/6k then it's normal, if I crank it up above 9k then it becomes nicely lively), which helps with gaining experience - that's really important for me.

I'll sell it on in a year when I'm ready for a next one. It wasn't that expensive, binned it once already (no damage thanks to crash bungs) so gives me fully "stress free" experience - well, stress level is limited to £2.5k.

• Like 1

Guest Swagman

They are good bikes, just right for your first one, I don’t believe you will have trouble with the weight and the seat height is good too.👍

Both really good bikes.

If it were me, I'd make sure I could sit on one and know I'd be happy on it before parting with any cash.

• Like 2

Just buy an ER5 and get some miles under your belt . £800 buys a decent one and spares are plentiful . Great bikes . I flogged mine and missed it so much I got another one . 

• Like 4

On 30/12/2020 at 19:31, XTreme said:

Unscheduled Dismounts? So Preston is posh then? I always thought it was some sort of northern shithole full of wannabe Scousers? 

Seems they have a high Street...

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/gallery/pictures-huge-preston-city-centre-19478798.amp

1 minute ago, dynax said:

Would that be Preston in Colombia 🤣

it certainly makes you think, many years ago i used to go to a park in town at easter to roll easter eggs with many others now since then the same park at nights is full of prostitutes with their pimps a no go area for decent people :neutral:

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

it certainly makes you think, many years ago i used to go to a park in town at easter to roll easter eggs with many others now since then the same park at nights is full of prostitutes with their pimps a no go area for decent people :neutral:

Usually the same in most places nowadays.

When I was younger and had a night out in Leeds, I often used to walk to my grandparents who lived in Chapeltown instead of trying to get back home, wouldn't dare do it now :shock:

Guest Richzx6r
7 minutes ago, dynax said:

Usually the same in most places nowadays.

When I was younger and had a night out in Leeds, I often used to walk to my grandparents who lived in Chapeltown instead of trying to get back home, wouldn't dare do it now :shock:

Why not? 

• 2 weeks later...

1ST bike MZ TS 125, 2nd bike MZ TS 125, 3rd bike MZ ETZ 300, 4th  bike .... Kawasaki ZZR 1100 .... !!!  Jesus H tap-dancing Christ !!!! 

With me the bike choice has always been the money available ...... Which is why tomorrow morning i'm off to work in Salisbury, from Sheffield, on the mighty 410 Himalayan ...:classic_smile:

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silentbob83 said:

Took delivery of a Honda CB500F on Friday- 2016 model in I would argue is a marmite colour by I love it. In response to @Six30 I do turn around around to look it- and stare out of the window to look at it!

20210110_142257.jpg

so that is a good sign that you will stick with it for a while :thumb:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skyrider said:

so that is a good sign that you will stick with it for a while :thumb:

Iv'e just been out to mine, taken the cover off (it lives outdoors) stroked it and put the cover back on ... help !!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Iv'e just been out to mine, taken the cover off (it lives outdoors) stroked it and put the cover back on ... help !!!

well it's that time of year again mine is living in the cave for the foreseeable future too 

6 hours ago, Silentbob83 said:

Took delivery of a Honda CB500F on Friday- 2016 model in I would argue is a marmite colour by I love it. In response to @Six30 I do turn around around to look it- and stare out of the window to look at it!

20210110_142257.jpg

nice bike :thumb:

you got the right one then, lets hope the weather warms up so you can get some smiles in.

• Like 2