My Funeral Music ....

Trooper74

Me and my sister where discussing music we would like at our funerals ... as you do ... lots of funnies occurred to us both, but i’ve settled on;

Nimrod, by Elgar .. as people are filing in. Cliche .... but good cliche.

The Minstrel Boy, Joe Strummer and the Mescalero's version .. 1st Hymn. A 17th century song for those that died in the first Irish uprising, but became an anthem for the British Army and the Orange Order .... and Shankill Protestant Boys band. :classic_smile:

Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits .. 2nd Hymn, curtains close on casket. Fine anti war song.

Above and beyond, Group Therapy, Out Of The Totem Matrix (Above & Beyond Mashup) .. All leave. Techno .. techno .. techno  ....

No ones singing at my funeral, just enjoy ( or hate ) the music. ^_^

• Like 2

We’ve decided not to have funerals. We’re each having a simple cremation*. Then the family, if they choose, can just have a gathering to celebrate their inheritance. If they do then I insist that they play Get Down, Get With It by Slade. Volume set to 11. 😁

If that doesn’t break the morbidity of the occasion, nothing will... 😂

*nicked the idea from David Bowie, and my good lady’s ex-husband.

Play it. Loud.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We’ve decided not to have funerals. We’re each having a simple cremation*. Then the family, if they choose, can just have a gathering to celebrate their inheritance. If they do then I insist that they play Get Down, Get With It by Slade. Volume set to 11. 😁

Play it. Loud.

Same here, crematoria then a little humanist gathering, may have to save cash for that and have offspring for curtain closer.

27 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Play it. Loud.

cant beat a bit of slade 😆

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Love a bit of cash

I was so tempted to edit your post and replace it with "A boy named Sue" :classic_biggrin:

Met a couple from near gatlinburg while in Mexico he is local sherif have an open invitation to stay with them, would love to take them up on it one day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Same here, crematoria then a little humanist gathering, may have to save cash for that and have offspring for curtain closer.

Do you mean humanist or civil celebrant? There's a major difference so if you're leaving any plans for family to follow it's worth checking. Only asking because a regular thing is people saying they wanted a humanist funeral and then not being happy with what they got.

8 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Do you mean humanist or civil celebrant? There's a major difference so if you're leaving any plans for family to follow it's worth checking. Only asking because a regular thing is people saying they wanted a humanist funeral and then not being happy with what they got.

What’s the main difference?

Not having a funeral as such, I haven't decided yet on whether I will donate my body to medical science, or to a body farm for forensic science. I have an interest in both but I prefer to examine live specimens for medical research 🤣

21 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

how did they know ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Apparently this, yes I have answered myself 😂

Funerals led by both humanists and civil celebrants have become very popular. The funeral director would usually arrange the person officiating at the service on behalf on the client, and pass on the client’s contact information. This would allow the humanist or celebrant to get in touch and arrange a meeting to discuss the service.

The key difference between the two is the level of religious content in the service. A humanist service is regarded as a non-religious ceremony, as such there is not usually any religious content in the service. While some humanists may permit the singing of a hymn, there would not normally be any prayers or reading of passages from the bible.

A civil celebrant however will completely tailor the service to the client’s wishes allowing as much or as little religious content the client requires. An example of this would be if a client wished to sing two hymns and have the Lord’s prayer said at the service, we would advise the client a civil celebrant would be the best option for the taking the service.

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Humanism is a system of thought or ethics on how people should live. It looks to the human rather than the divine as the ultimate source of inspiration. But its adherents are holding to a belief system and will base a funeral upon that - which is fair enough if that's what the family want. The feedback I've received is that people find humanist funerals rather prescriptive and wanting to push a particular way of thinking when what they really wanted was a civil celebrant.

Civil celebrants vary. Bear in mind anyone can set up as a civil celebrant and there is no regulation. Some are excellent, others not so much. Good ones should be known by funeral directors but then it depends how good the funeral directors are, and not all of them belong to the national association as it's voluntary.  Some funeral directors like to keep everything in house as it's easier and more profitable for them. Others will know and trust who conducts a good funeral, which they need to because whilst the funeral director can arrange the cars, coffin, flowers, music etc - when it comes to the service they are putting their proffessional reputation in the hands of a third party.

Civil celebrants will work with a family to shape a funeral that is particular to an individual. Of course because they do so many funerals most of them have a pattern of 'service' which they start from - the same as I do myself. But using a basi framework you can shape a service which reflects both the deceased and the needs of the family. The first question is who is the funeral for?

Good civil celebrants tend to be flexible in what they offer - so for example - I know many people who describe themselves as 'non-religious' still want a hymn, a reading - often a psalm, and the Lord's Prayer. Consider the reaction when David Bowie recited the Lord's Prayer for Freddie Mercury. A humanist wouldn't be so flexible. 

Funerals are something people rarely discuss with family or friends, and sometimes if they do they get too prescriptive which can make life difficult for the family when the time comes. One issue during lockdown is families feeling guilty because they couldn't fulfil all the things someone had asked for. So in my mind it's better to leave some ideas, but let those left do what they feel is right at the time.

I remember a lady who let her 8 year old grandson choose the music, so we came out to 'Another one bites the dust'. It wasn't quite what she had in mind.

I quite liked the guy who surprised his friends by going out to Johnny Cash - I fell into a burning ring of fire. 

• Like 3

Both lisa and I have wrote down a quite detailed funeral wishes section thats sits alongside our wills. Although not legally binding, as the solicitor said its ethically the right for the surviving partner to carry out the wishes.

So.

Short mass in church.

Walk in.

"Stand by me" Oasis

Not specified hymns for the church as not really arsed and I know it will be Ave Maria. This will then be followed by a rendition of Danny Boy on the saxophone (providing Grace is up to it)

Cremation.

Walk into.

"I am the resurrection " by the stone roses.

As the service is ending.

"Happy hour" by the housemartins.

So if i bin the bike and any of you buggers rock up to funeral and this doesn't happen. Bollock r lass🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Humanism is a system of thought or ethics on how people should live. It looks to the human rather than the divine as the ultimate source of inspiration. But its adherents are holding to a belief system and will base a funeral upon that - which is fair enough if that's what the family want. The feedback I've received is that people find humanist funerals rather prescriptive and wanting to push a particular way of thinking when what they really wanted was a civil celebrant.

Civil celebrants vary. Bear in mind anyone can set up as a civil celebrant and there is no regulation. Some are excellent, others not so much. Good ones should be known by funeral directors but then it depends how good the funeral directors are, and not all of them belong to the national association as it's voluntary.  Some funeral directors like to keep everything in house as it's easier and more profitable for them. Others will know and trust who conducts a good funeral, which they need to because whilst the funeral director can arrange the cars, coffin, flowers, music etc - when it comes to the service they are putting their proffessional reputation in the hands of a third party.

Civil celebrants will work with a family to shape a funeral that is particular to an individual. Of course because they do so many funerals most of them have a pattern of 'service' which they start from - the same as I do myself. But using a basi framework you can shape a service which reflects both the deceased and the needs of the family. The first question is who is the funeral for?

Good civil celebrants tend to be flexible in what they offer - so for example - I know many people who describe themselves as 'non-religious' still want a hymn, a reading - often a psalm, and the Lord's Prayer. Consider the reaction when David Bowie recited the Lord's Prayer for Freddie Mercury. A humanist wouldn't be so flexible. 

Funerals are something people rarely discuss with family or friends, and sometimes if they do they get too prescriptive which can make life difficult for the family when the time comes. One issue during lockdown is families feeling guilty because they couldn't fulfil all the things someone had asked for. So in my mind it's better to leave some ideas, but let those left do what they feel is right at the time.

I remember a lady who let her 8 year old grandson choose the music, so we came out to 'Another one bites the dust'. It wasn't quite what she had in mind.

I quite liked the guy who surprised his friends by going out to Johnny Cash - I fell into a burning ring of fire. 

Thanks for the info’. It confirms our decision not to have a funeral to be right for us. 

Our family really enjoy a good funeral.

My Granny’s went on for 3 days ..... We always have a great party, a celebration of a life. My mum died 2 years ago, 94, a great family get together .. we had the service at the grave and then at the hotel Julie and I got married at ... Same room .... Great family get  together for all age groups ... Thousands turned up for my Uncle Johns funeral, the roads where packed throughout Ligoneil, Woodvale and the Shankill .... Hundreds came back to the estate in Newtownards where my sister lived .....

The one thing in common with all these great family funerals  .... they where old, had fantastic lives ... and where fully aware to the end ...

Young funerals .......... not ever fun ...........

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

This is actually a good thing to discuss when mum died we did not have a clue.  So we picked her favourite songs and then choose where to put them.

We started with the most morbid when people walked in.  Mull of Kintyre the vicar foolishly chose a version with Bagpipes and tried reading a sermon over it, it was brilliant he lost mum would of loved it.

My funeral instructions are quite simple I want whats left when they have tried giving me or my bits away, to be cremated and people should wear black.  Apart from that it should be the best most inappropriate party they can think off (that bit I am sure they will get right). 

We had fire works at about 2 in the morning at my grans, with complaints form the neighbours in the morning :D :D

Actual music there will probably be:

Oh and some poetry:

Then things can change in 20 years and they might want to remember me by something else...

Oh that last silly dream request for my ashes is to be fired form a cannon from lands end so part of me can go to my roots up north and part come south...  However there will probably be the preverbal west wind and I will end up in there faces which is fine, by me  :D 

Although the higher powers will probably not decide in my favour    :angel12:

• Like 1