What's your fantasy trip?

bonio

...on a bike of course.

So it seems I'm not the only one coming up with plans for trips I'll never do... but what's yours? Post it here for advice on how to make it a better fantasy, roads you mustn't miss etc. etc. But first some rules, or next thing someone will be off with Elon to the moon and back

* Got to start and end at home, using bike, ferries, tunnel. No planes.

* No more than 14 nights away

* No more than 7.5 hours actually on the bike each day

• Like 1

Simply getting on the bike, ride to Moscow then China, Vietnam ending in Kuala Lumpur.

Spend a couple weeks there resting and on the beach

Get on the bike and come back via India, Iran, Turkey

with frequent stops visiting all the interesting points that every country have (like the Taj-Mahal in India, the red square in Moscow, imperial palace in Thailand, etc.)

It should take around 3 to 4 months and cost between £10,000 and £15,000 :thumb: 

And it is on my bucket list (item 4) :) 

• Like 2

One trip I want to do is sail to spain and ride up from Spain through france into Italy, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium and back home 

Taking in Viaduc de Millau along the way 

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

One trip I want to do is sail to spain and ride up from Spain through france into Italy, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium and back home 

Don't waste your time on the Milau viaduct. Been there last year and still don't see why the wife made such a fuss about it.

Is a tall bridge between 2 hills over a tiny burn. and it will cost you to cross it.

Want a pretty bridge?

This one is in the 28 most beautiful in the world

Ponte Vasco da Gama - Wikipedia

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

And what's wrong with your local Humber bridge, looks quite nice when lit up :thumb:

BT_058-X2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going back to original @bonio's post..

What you describe is a "normal" touring trip on a big bike :) 

you can go to (south/west)

Portugal.

Italy,

Croatia,

even Romania or Bulgaria (or both)

East

As far as Ukraine

North(ish)/East

Norway

Sweden

Finland

All of these would take you 2 weeks if planned properly :thumb: 

I would love to go across the southern states of America, just to see how red neck they are.  Although that is not in your rules.

Other than that it’s just time,  I could climb on a bike and explore.

Depending on time of year go east until time ran out. Austria and beyond, have travelled enough to learn every where has its differences.

Often pondered doing a bread tour, just going learning about different breads not just balm cakes or buns.

There is allot of cultures and landmass in your scope.

1 minute ago, onesea said:

I would love to go across the southern states of America, just to see how red neck they are.  Although that is not in your rules.

Other than that it’s just time,  I could climb on a bike and explore.

Depending on time of year go east until time ran out. Austria and beyond, have travelled enough to learn every where has its differences.

Often pondered doing a bread tour, just going learning about different breads not just balm cakes or buns.

There is allot of cultures and landmass in your scope.

How about a sausage/salami tour, plenty of variations around the world :thumb:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dynax said:

How about a sausage/salami tour, plenty of variations around the world :thumb:

Now you're talking :thumb: 

Smoker Vinhais fair (northeast Portugal)

Sausage festival Monchique (inner Algarve, Portugal)

But then you would want to go to the cheese fair in Castelo Branco, halfway between Algarve and northern Portugal near with Spanish border)

And the Alentejo cheese festival (southern region just north of Algarve)

To finish it all you would go all around the country trying the wine.. 😀

So better planning staying there for a good few months 😋

Edited by husoi
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, husoi said:

Now you're talking :thumb: 

Smoker Vinhais fair (northeast Portugal)

Sausage festival Monchique (inner Algarve, Portugal)

But then you would want to go to the cheese fair in Castelo Branco, halfway between Algarve and northern Portugal near with Spanish border)

And the Alentejo cheese festival (southern region just north of Algarve)

To finish it all you would go all around the country trying the wine.. 😀

So better planning staying there for a good few months 😋

So you’re suggesting a Portuguese sausage fest for @dynax to attend?

Makes sense 🤣

• Haha 3

Ooh I like this thread. 

So the ultimate fantasy is more than a couple of weeks- ride around the world but if you haven’t been thinking, reading and talking to people about it for over two years the idea of riding off for a long period without a fixed itinerary and hotels booked is gonna freak you out a bit so for that reason breaking Mr Slowly in... slowly is the aim. 

With that in mind as soon as lockdown allows and he’s been jabbed LEJOG, a slow coastal stop version to take in the views with mostly hotels so he can find his legs. 
Then a friend of mine has coincidentally been wanting us to go to Germany since before all this Covid malarkey kicked off so that’s likely to happen which will be interesting when Eiffel is in the mix. I suspect it’ll will happen immediately after. 
Then when Mr Slowly is comfortable with all of the above either ferry to France or Spain depending on the time available (two weeks probably won’t be enough for this one) and ride down to Andalucia, find a place to rent and when settled there and after enjoying some some empty Spanish roads ride onto Morocco.

Once all that’s done riding without having fixed destinations or places to stay will be much easier for Mr Slowly and the idea of RTW in pieces can commence. I’d do it jigsaw style because I’m happy here where I am with the life I have and after speaking to many people who have done RTW a disconnect seems to occur with your ‘normal’ life that makes it hard to settle back in. I wouldn’t want to be away for more than a few months at a time max. I don’t want it to turn into a chore, I’d like like to take the time to enjoy each country rather than see them as something to get through to complete the RTW so I think a slower approach and in pieces would be the right way for me. 

So if anyone has any roads, destinations, ideas or opinions about the ride down through France/Spain to Andalucia or has been for a spin round Morocco your thoughts would be appreciated.

@bonio well thread starter let’s hear some of yours!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:
Ooh I like this thread. 

So the ultimate fantasy is more than a couple of weeks- ride around the world but if you haven’t been thinking, reading and talking to people about it for over two years the idea of riding off for a long period without a fixed itinerary and hotels booked is gonna freak you out a bit so for that reason breaking Mr Slowly in... slowly is the aim. 

With that in mind as soon as lockdown allows and he’s been jabbed LEJOG, a slow coastal stop version to take in the views with mostly hotels so he can find his legs. 
Then a friend of mine has coincidentally been wanting us to go to Germany since before all this Covid malarkey kicked off so that’s likely to happen which will be interesting when Eiffel is in the mix. I suspect it’ll will happen immediately after. 
Then when Mr Slowly is comfortable with all of the above either ferry to France or Spain depending on the time available (two weeks probably won’t be enough for this one) and ride down to Andalucia, find a place to rent and when settled there and after enjoying some some empty Spanish roads ride onto Morocco.

Once all that’s done riding without having fixed destinations or places to stay will be much easier for Mr Slowly and the idea of RTW in pieces can commence. I’d do it jigsaw style because I’m happy here where I am with the life I have and after speaking to many people who have done RTW a disconnect seems to occur with your ‘normal’ life that makes it hard to settle back in. I wouldn’t want to be away for more than a few months at a time max. I don’t want it to turn into a chore, I’d like like to take the time to enjoy each country rather than see them as something to get through to complete the RTW so I think a slower approach and in pieces would be the right way for me. 

So if anyone has any roads, destinations, ideas or opinions about the ride down through France/Spain to Andalucia or has been for a spin round Morocco your thoughts would be appreciated.

@bonio well thread starter let’s hear some of yours!

I'm a HUGE fan of coastal routes.

Spain by far have the best ones, smooth roads and it will follow the coastline for miles.

You can go from San Sebastian to A Guarda (next to Portugues border) and you won't be more than a few 100m away from the coast at any time.

Ok it is Atlantic on a colder water patch circa 12 to 16c (while further south you can reach 22c) but well worth the scenery.

Spanish food in those areas are very good and even better if you like fish and seafood.

Then you can go further south into the Portuguese coast all the way round and return to Spain all the way up to Barcelona.

Anybody visiting Barcelona I can't express how good it is the route to Monserrate Monastery.

Another excellent (and I really mean EXCELLENT!!!!) is the road between Angeles-sur-mer in south France and Playa Grifeu in Spain passing via Tour Madeloc (D914 & N-260)

I was fortunate to pass there when the tarmac was weeks new. Despite the intercom constant moaning "Why are you going like that???" :lol:  and rubbing the pegs a few times on the tarmac while not going any faster than 30mph.

It is a dream road :thumb: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, husoi said:

I'm a HUGE fan of coastal routes.

Spain by far have the best ones, smooth roads and it will follow the coastline for miles.

You can go from San Sebastian to A Guarda (next to Portugues border) and you won't be more than a few 100m away from the coast at any time.

Ok it is Atlantic on a colder water patch circa 12 to 16c (while further south you can reach 22c) but well worth the scenery.

Spanish food in those areas are very good and even better if you like fish and seafood.

Then you can go further south into the Portuguese coast all the way round and return to Spain all the way up to Barcelona.

Anybody visiting Barcelona I can't express how good it is the route to Monserrate Monastery.

Another excellent (and I really mean EXCELLENT!!!!) is the road between Angeles-sur-mer in south France and Playa Grifeu in Spain passing via Tour Madeloc (D914 & N-260)

I was fortunate to pass there when the tarmac was weeks new. Despite the intercom constant moaning "Why are you going like that???" :lol:  and rubbing the pegs a few times on the tarmac while not going any faster than 30mph.

It is a dream road :thumb: 

Great stuff Thankyou. I’ve copy n pasted it into my notes 👍

6 hours ago, husoi said:

Don't waste your time on the Milau viaduct. Been there last year and still don't see why the wife made such a fuss about it.

Is a tall bridge between 2 hills over a tiny burn. and it will cost you to cross it.

Want a pretty bridge?

bridges !   tunnels on a bike , now your talking .

• Like 1

My current fantasy ride which I could do in 2 weeks is from Cabo Tarifa  in Spain  (southernmost point of mainland Europe ) to Nord Kap in Norway (northernmost). Take a ferry to Santander and ride south to the start point. Do the route avoiding all 

Autoroutes etc. but aim at about  400 miles per day.

I was under the impression Isla de las Palomas/Ilsa Tarifa ( don't ask me why the 2 names, where punta de Tarifa is located) was closed to public as it is/was a military compound.

15 minutes ago, husoi said:

I was under the impression Isla de las Palomas/Ilsa Tarifa ( don't ask me why the 2 names, where punta de Tarifa is located) was closed to public as it is/was a military compound.

So far as I know the lighthouse bit is open to the public but I may well be wrong. I'm not that picky and will take the nearest bit I can or else use Europe Point in Gibraltar. 

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

So far as I know the lighthouse bit is open to the public but I may well be wrong. I'm not that picky and will take the nearest bit I can or else use Europe Point in Gibraltar. 

Cabo da Roca is the most westerly in Europe btw :)

You can still walk to the Playa de Tarifa just before the gates. I don't know if there is pedestrian access to the final bit but you can always try :thumb:

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

bridges !   tunnels on a bike , now your talking .

We rode through the Mont Blanc tunnel a couple of years ago. Tedious, or what? Marked down as “been there done that, where’s my tee shirt”?

A friend reminded me of this after we’d done it, thankfully.

Mont Blanc Tunnel Fire

7 hours ago, husoi said:

Want a pretty bridge?

I certainly wouldn’t bother with riding across it again, but it’s an impressive sight from the Gorge du Tarn, which is a delightful road. I’d like to go back and explore that area more sometime. 

9 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I certainly wouldn’t bother with riding across it again, but it’s an impressive sight from the Gorge du Tarn, which is a delightful road. I’d like to go back and explore that area more sometime. 

When I passed there I set the tent in a small camping site not far from Milau then went on the road passing under the bridge. The view was better than over it :) 

Edit: It was Saint Martin camping site :) 

https://www.campingsaintmartin.fr/

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1