Just broke my bike, oil everywhere

James in Brum

Moving the bike to the new house. I sent up some ramps to go up the steps to the side passage so the bike it hidden. A Big Crunch at the bottom of the bike. Oil everywhere. I cannot quite see what it is that is shagged. I am beyond upset. 
not sure whether to take stuff off and look or just get it recovered to a garage :-(

cannot afford this on top of a move. 
Mehta am I looking at do you think?

• Sad 1

Might be that you’ve ripped out the sump plug?

Cost would be a 2nd hand sump, new gasket, oil & oil filter .... so not so bad, relatively easy DIY job to check & repair.

Lucky you spotted it before hooning off & finding no grip on the rear tyre, so be grateful for small mercies hey?

• Like 1

Worst case you've just cracked the engine oil sump.

It could be that the oil plug wasn't tighten enough and become loose with the crunch.

Put your brave face and just find out what happened. Think of it like a dentist appointment, maybe it will hurt or maybe is just a check-up visit :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

Moving the bike to the new house. I sent up some ramps to go up the steps to the side passage so the bike it hidden. A Big Crunch at the bottom of the bike. Oil everywhere. I cannot quite see what it is that is shagged. I am beyond upset. 
not sure whether to take stuff off and look or just get it recovered to a garage :-(

Mehta am I looking at do you think?

Frank-Spencer-358906.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, James in Brum said:

?

You answered your own question there! ... If you can't afford the garage then you have to DIY!

I would be very interested @James in Brum to see what you could hit underneath your ZZR600, you have the fairing then the exhaust pipes, before even getting close to the sump!!

And I believe the sump plug is at the rear of sump and recessed?

You may have had some muck and oil inside the bottom of fairing, that when you hit it , it dislodge it and dropped out of rear! Where the pipes are!

Have you had  a oil filter changed anytime and maybe had a small leak inside fairing, and running up the ramp again dislodged it?

Just a suggestion.

But be interested to see some photo's! 

• Like 1

Don't despair . As has been pointed out , you have an Oil Pan or Sump Plate so the whole engine isn't knackered . You've probably knocked one of those protrusions off .  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311808447928

Polish_20210212_213419783.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1