Ear plugs

MotorcycleTourer

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It’s a future deafness factor. 
Have a read up on what your cheap comfy plugs actually block out. 
Bankrupt wise I can’t argue, they’re punishing on the wallet, just not on the ears, the thing you need to look after for your entire lifespan. 

Don't he so sure - laser lites have a better noise reduction rating than some custom plugs - 34db vs 29 (first 5 mins) 

5 hours ago, geofferz said:

Don't he so sure - laser lites have a better noise reduction rating than some custom plugs - 34db vs 29 (first 5 mins) 

Those "custom" earplugs are shite! They are diy at home ones white are shite! 

They are not a patch on company made silicone earplugs as they are shite! 

If you haven't guessed they are shite 😂

I tried some of them and they were well you know the rest! :lol:

They go pretty hard and are uncomfortable plus if you get them wrong they don't work well at all. 

Funnily enough I watched exactly that before buying my custom plugs. I concluded they didn’t give custom plugs a fair go because they used a different product. 
It’s all about the fit and amount of leakage around the plug. Ones you mould yourself use a heat reaction and shrink on cooling so you don’t get a good fit (keeping your mouth open while they cool in your ear apparently really helps as it makes the canal larger).
Ones that are made for you rely on a mould and use non shrinking materials. Have a read up of the reviews of the ones you mould yourself and you’ll see theyre very hit n miss.

I went along with what the audiologists dept I attend had to say about plugs as they really know their stuff and they were absolutely adamant professional custom plugs and large over ear defenders are the only two reliable methods of protecting your hearing. 

If a companies plugs are also used by swimmers to prevent ear infections they obviously have to achieve a good seal so it’s an indication your going to get a good level of protection.

I don’t like the solid custom plugs without a filter because cutting out all traffic noises is cutting out something that gives you an early warning about what other traffic is doing. I have tried them and they don’t feel safe as they effectively make you completely deaf. I like being able to use my custom plugs as earphones and I also really like being able to hear engine roar even if it’s in a muted form. 

I would suggest anyone getting them (or moulded hearing aids) to go for dark colours because no matter how clean you keep your ears pale colours quickly discolour and look less than appealing. My first set were clear with a purple glitter called ‘Sugar Plum’ loved them for the first two weeks... 🤮 😂

If your plugs get blocked leave them somewhere warm n dry, then the desiccated contents can easily be knocked out with a little pokey piece of plastic you can get for cleaning hearing aids. If you buy custom plugs with removable filters you can simply wash them with soap n water, if your filters are fixed in the plug or you have speakers built in obviously you mustn’t. I think that’s about everything I know about ear plugs!

• Like 2

I've have moulded plugs for years, clay shooting. I've got specific for shooting and some plain gummy's for work. The plain gummy's are solid without any noise dampening abilities, whereas the shooting have a dampening module to block the high freq. of shotguns firing.

I've tried the gummy's when riding and didn't like the lack or other noise. I have ridden with a single headphone for navigation purposes, leaving the other ear to hear other traffic.

The gummy's and shooting are done by Ultimate Ears , as they are local to me and can't fault them. In fact I think I have to get a new set as I've had these well over 15 years now, and ear shapes change over time.

Fish

1 minute ago, Fish said:

I've have moulded plugs for years, clay shooting. I've got specific for shooting and some plain gummy's for work. The plain gummy's are solid without any noise dampening abilities, whereas the shooting have a dampening module to block the high freq. of shotguns firing.

I've tried the gummy's when riding and didn't like the lack or other noise. I have ridden with a single headphone for navigation purposes, leaving the other ear to hear other traffic.

The gummy's and shooting are done by Ultimate Ears , as they are local to me and can't fault them. In fact I think I have to get a new set as I've had these well over 15 years now, and ear shapes change over time.

Fish

Good to know as I'm waiting delivery of my Ultimate Ears custom plugs. Got the ones with built in speakers and 31db noise reduction. 

I have a moulded pair that I had done at and for work. Brilliant when I need to be on the factory floor. I tried them on the bike once and hated them. They wouldn't stay in place with my lid on and let in so much noise.

The plugs I have found the best, and I've tried loads of different sorts over the years, I actually 'borrow' from work. I have no idea what brand they are though.

Custom Fit Guards here (with the filter) - just checked and I paid £99. I had the moulds done at a local hearing aid place and was refunded the cost.

Personally I can't ride without plugs. I didn't wear them when doing my bike training and I'd finish the day with a heck of a headache. And I've never been able to use foam/silicone type plugs successfully. 

Even our kids have plugs when they ride pillion (although they are able to use the silicone ones).

Last time I took an easyJet flight I used them too, just to block out the engine and background noise.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 16:29, fullscreenaging said:

I have a moulded pair that I had done at and for work. Brilliant when I need to be on the factory floor. I tried them on the bike once and hated them. They wouldn't stay in place with my lid on and let in so much noise.

The plugs I have found the best, and I've tried loads of different sorts over the years, I actually 'borrow' from work. I have no idea what brand they are though.

I might come for a job at your place just for the earplugs :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Custom Fit Guards here (with the filter) - just checked and I paid £99. I had the moulds done at a local hearing aid place and was refunded the cost.

Personally I can't ride without plugs. I didn't wear them when doing my bike training and I'd finish the day with a heck of a headache. And I've never been able to use foam/silicone type plugs successfully. 

Even our kids have plugs when they ride pillion (although they are able to use the silicone ones).

Last time I took an easyJet flight I used them too, just to block out the engine and background noise.

When I fly I have an over the ear set of noise cancelling headphones. Otherwise the noise is appalling. As to riding a bike I find it quite uncomfortable without plugs. Hence my moving on to custom plugs. Still waiting for them. Another week at least.

55 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

When I fly I have an over the ear set of noise cancelling headphones. Otherwise the noise is appalling. As to riding a bike I find it quite uncomfortable without plugs. Hence my moving on to custom plugs. Still waiting for them. Another week at least.

I have some noise cancelling earbuds and I always thought they was a gimmick!

Till we went on honeymoon and I took them with me for the plane. I wish I had got some years ago! they was amazing I couldn't hear all the whining kids 

Or the wife :D

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Till we went on honeymoon and I took them with me for the plane. I wish I had got some years ago! they was amazing I couldn't hear all the whining kids 

Oh wow - I didn't even know they existed, only knew of the big headphone style ones that I couldn't sleep with on a plane I don't think. That's going straight in my basket. 

• Like 1

I’ve been using the yellow foam type for years ..... 40 years in fact ... always in an aviation and motorcycling environment. I use them on every motorcycle ride with usually a helmet liner (RAF flying helmet liner).

Cheap, disposable and available on the walls at work every day.

I would never ride without them ... they deaden down the 2 strokes and hide the 4 stroke death rattle (from new) ....🙂

Cheap throwaways for me every time .....

19 hours ago, Stu said:

Do you use them whilst riding?

If so, how does they work in terms of hearing traffic, sirens etc?

I also use throwaways. I have a set of 'better' plugs but they didn't seem to perform any better (although, like headlights, that's a whole different subjective topic) so I stuck with the yellow foam ones. 

I need 'em nowadays, and I've been known to don a pair of external ear defenders when the kids get too loud! 😂

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Do you use them whilst riding?

If so, how does they work in terms of hearing traffic, sirens etc?

No I use custom earplugs :D

• Thanks 1