Paddock stand alternative???

I've just been out cleaning my bike and realised I need more chain cleaner soon. 

When looking on Amazon I saw this which is advertised as an alternative to a paddock stand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YHY7F6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MVCDVX9C8Q2CQZNYH1G3

Has anyone used these before? 

I'd only be using it to clean and lube my chain is all. 

There are separate ones for different size bikes. The large bike one has slightly curved rollers which I think might be safer.

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

Got one similar that I bought from sports bike shop, I use it under the front wheel mainly, its a really good bit of kit, makes the job of cleaning much easier,  this is what I use

Glad to hear they work ok. 

SBS says that one you have has been discontinued though. 

12 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Glad to hear they work ok. 

SBS says that one you have has been discontinued though. 

There's other places that sell similar ones, just type in "motorcycle wheel spinner" here's a link to Amazon, plenty more out there though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=motorcycle+wheel+spinner&hvadid=80264447234823&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0a9-21&ref=pd_sl_2ao75gkv2p_p

I'm not sure I would trust the balance of the bike on rollers under the rear wheel and just the side stand to hold it.

2 hours ago, husoi said:

I'm not sure I would trust the balance of the bike on rollers under the rear wheel and just the side stand to hold it.

why not ? please explain 

3 minutes ago, Six30 said:

why not ? please explain 

Wouldn't the bike try to run away from you?

If you spin the wheel at an angle even if by hand the bike will try to slide away. You only have the side stand (around 1" square) and the loose front wheel supporting the bike. Gravity will make the wheel spin to the edge of the roller.

I'm assuming the bike will NEVER be running. 

I think they are just for cleaning the chain not proper work on the bike. 

Some models have the rollers at an angle forcing the spinning wheel in to the middle.

Either way I'd never have the bike switched on when up on the roller. 

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Wouldn't the bike try to run away from you?

If you spin the wheel at an angle even if by hand the bike will try to slide away. You only have the side stand (around 1" square) and the loose front wheel supporting the bike. Gravity will make the wheel spin to the edge of the roller.

I'm assuming the bike will NEVER be running. 

no , wouldn't  have it running , just spin it round enough to do section of chain at a time. At moment i lift back back wheel of ground with one hand by grabbing under the seat plastics somewhere and spin wheel with other hand. 

this should be a lot better....  for 25 shots worth a punt.

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

no , wouldn't  have it running , just spin it round enough to do section of chain at a time. At moment i lift back back wheel of ground with one hand by grabbing under the seat plastics somewhere and spin wheel with other hand. 

this should be a lot better....  for 25 shots worth a punt.

for an extra £10 these look better and will let you do other jobs

Paddock Stand Rear Bike Back Wheel Lift

• Like 1

Was thinking down the line of when you remove the wheel for new tyres or wheel bearings..

If the only thing you do is cleaning the chain then that would do :thumb:

• Like 1

Not a problem I have. With the slope on which I have to park the bike when it's on the centre stand the back wheel is about an inch off the ground.spinnig it is no problem. Wedge a cobble stone under the wheel when not doing anything.

On this topic, does anyone know if there is a big difference between Muc Off and Tru Tension chain cleaning products? I'm guessing either will do the trick but thought I'd ask anyhow, just in case.

1 minute ago, Rider UK said:

On this topic, does anyone know if there is a big difference between Muc Off and Tru Tension chain cleaning products? I'm guessing either will do the trick but thought I'd ask anyhow, just in case.

I've been using muc off for a while as they had a deal on Amazon on a bundle. It always did the job. 

I've not used tru tension but looking at reviews they are all pretty much as capable as each other 

• Like 1

Just now, daveinlim said:

I've been using muc off for a while as they had a deal on Amazon on a bundle. It always did the job. 

I've not used tru tension but looking at reviews they are all pretty much as capable as each other 

Cheers, I thought as much. I'm gonna go with Tru Tension and give the Chain Monkey a go while I'm at it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2021 at 09:17, Ian Frog said:

As often gets repeated on here you may find parraffin is a cost effective and just as efficent alternative.

Cheers

Ian

One day, when going past B&Q I'll remember!

Need to remember, ran out of cleaning spray!

On 01/03/2021 at 15:26, Six30 said:

i dont do other jobs :lol:

plus , finding some where to put it.

this one looks easier to get tyre on to it

Image 21 - 400kg-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Tyre-Wheel-Spinner-amp-Easy-Chain-Cleaning-Stand-Lift

This looks like the one I use (and will actually be using in about an hour's time). It works quite well, but the wheel needs lining up properly as it can move slightly as you turn it. It's a good alternative to a paddock stand if - like me - you find using the latter an absolute nightmare!