12th of April - Camping Starts again...

onesea

Weather permitting If nothing else gets in the way...

I am thinking of spending the night in a Tent with my motorbike parked outside.  

The location is TBC  it will be in the South of England, probably within 3 hours ride of home. As will have teen daughter on back.

It seems others have been kitting up for the freedom to do similar.  If our research leads to the-same campsite would that be against the rules?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, onesea said:

Weather permitting If nothing else gets in the way...

I am thinking of spending the night in a Tent with my motorbike parked outside.  

The location is TBC  it will be in the South of England, probably within 3 hours ride of home. As will have teen daughter on back.

It seems others have been kitting up for the freedom to do similar.  If our research leads to the-same campsite would that be against the rules?

I dont think campsites would notice as long as you didn't all book together. As a camper myself my concern about camping in April is if it's pissing down there will be no pubs or clubhouse you can go to so could be pretty miserable !

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wouldn't the rule of 6 apply? so you could meet up with people anyway?

It’s a weekday in April I suggest not many will be stupid enough to consider it.

Even if 6 said they where coming We would still be left in a field on our own, motorcyclists are not the most reliable.

1)Would have breakdown,

2) would of forgeten there wedding aneversary,

3) would of read a forecast in the wrong country that said it was going to rain,

4) there distant cousin 250 miles away would have a stroke announcing them as next of kin,

5) there new tent would not arrived

6) it would be to cold for them,

If that happens then we will be happy on our own...  @Spongefinger We might even read the right forecast and say fook  that.... Which any one researching campsites would have to expect us to do...

• Haha 2

Hmmm....I have all of last year's annual leave to take, so a couple of days should be ok. Only snag is my tent is a six person heavy canvas jobbie which takes two of us to carry. And that's without the kitchen extension. If I strap that onto the Honda it will be a wheelie all the way.

• Haha 1

I'm having 1 week pencilled (last week) in May for camping.

Will be the final test for my trailer and some time away from Scotland :) 

No idea yet where will be but some where down south.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 14:42, Six30 said:

Camping GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Camping :roll:

let me know if there is a B&B near where your camping.

Just looking at forecast, 8 or 10 of day might be fine but 0 of night 🥶 

Might see if budget will stretch to B&B.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onesea said:

Just looking at forecast, 8 or 10 of day might be fine but 0 of night 🥶 

Might see if budget will stretch to B&B.

Budget stretched a little... Looks like a hotel just outside Gloucester is booked with a late cancellation issue.

@S-Westerly I think this is your vicinity.  Local knowledge of decent take out food and greasy spoon breakfast would be appreciated.

Looking on booking.com if you have burning ambition to visit a city.  City time appear to be cheaper than country ones London included.

Edited by onesea

17 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Green dragon used to be thought of as good. 

The problem is its strange times, can eat in hotel but room service only...

So pubs are out as well, was hoping to fin somewhere that does  take out with a view...

5 minutes ago, rennie said:

I know 1 on the way into Welshpool, got a small camping field,

we've had food there ( good) but never stayed

The one I know is in the village of Bishop's Frome which I think is in Herefordshire or possibly Worcestershire . A 16th century Free House with log fires and great food . Run by a friend of a friend from Coventry . 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rennie said:

and don't forget that, to start with, the toilets/showers/washing up facilities won't be open either!

You have to be self contained

Hotel booked, En-suite.

I get the feeling the reason we could still get booking is those given hear you can not eat in restaurant you can only eat from take outs.

So take out to view point for dinner,  greasy spoon roadside for breakfast.  Which is generally my plan anyway, just normally done from tent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, husoi said:

£95 a night??????

I am paying £47 twin room for 2 at a hotel with cancelation until 1500 on the day.  Not that I am planning for something to go wrong

On 18/03/2021 at 19:51, onesea said:

1)Would have breakdown,  - I am on the Triumph but have spare bike (if it does not happen en-route)

2) would of forgotten there wedding anniversary, - Not married so should be fine

3) would of read a forecast in the wrong country that said it was going to rain, - Looking good so far (waiting for forecast to change)

4) there distant cousin 250 miles away would have a stroke announcing them as next of kin, - Hopefully family emergencies contained for now

5) there new tent would not arrived - It did arrive!

6) it would be to cold for them, - See No 3 Above

We might even read the right forecast and say fook  that.... - Still possible

2 minutes ago, onesea said:

I am paying £47 twin room for 2 at a hotel with cancelation until 1500 on the day.  Not that I am planning for something to go wrong

I meant £95?????? for that green dragon in 😋

You can stay at a camping site for 1 week on that.

• Like 1

Scrub that booking and probably trip cancelled as I wont have time to find other accommodation. Having been advised that I would be breaking government guidelines as the company policy for the present time is not to accept leisure booking.

Although they will take the booking made as a leisure booking stating "father and daughter arriving by motorbike", luckily I could still cancel through the booking site for free.

Disappointed as I was starting to look forward to some time away with my daughter.

• Sad 1

Bummer there. In normal times a decent place for breakfast believe it or not is Gloucester  Services on the M5 North or South. Other than that can't really help as living here I don't tend to eat breakfast out.