Smart motorway update.

Steve_M

51 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Thanks 

Hard information, rate per mile of motorway increase. I would love to see all the figures ( not enough to search for them)

See the source image

I was glad I wasn't on a smart motorway today. Happily tootling along, go to overtake a slow moving bus, pull out....then nothing.

Coil pack decided it had spent too long in this vale of mortal tears and departed for a better place.

£150 later and I'm mobile again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

I hate "smart" motorways! .. When ever I do use them I never use the inside lane! Fingers crossed that I never break down on one! 

Why assume all breakdowns happen on the left lane? 

At least with smart motor ways if a vehicle is broken down in any lane they have the ability to place a warning on gantry to cover that lane  close to the location whilst on older motorways the signs or signals were set so far apart they may have warned you 3 miles ago but who pays attention.

Smart motorways rely on the road users to manage and assess just as They would on ANY ROAD ... on an A road do you have any warning that car is stationary ahead whilst you are travelling at 70mph ,do you have room to manoeuvre on a single carriageway with opposing traffic ?

And don't get  me wrong i am not 100% pro smart motorways but i also deal with them on a daily basis .

So is it the Governments fault entirely or do we as road users have to share the responsibility , from being more vigilant to making sure our vehicles are maintained and fit for the journey ? 

12 minutes ago, TimR said:

.. on an A road do you have any warning that car is stationary ahead whilst you are travelling at 70mph ,do you have room to manoeuvre on a single carriageway with opposing traffic ?

Why would anyone be doing 70mph on a single carriageway A road? And especially if they couldn't see that the road ahead was clear?

It's not comparing like with like. How you drive on a motorway and an A road are different.

The comparison needs to be between motorways with a dedicated hard shoulder and those that don't.

Lots of connects here could be highlighted. 

People on motorways tend to be concentration less compared with A roads. 

You only need to a see red X to see how many ignore. 

Road works on motorways people do not give space for others to reduce to 2 lanes when required,

When you get the speed warning signs how many ignore?

On paper smart motorways should work, then on paper you should not need to get out of your car on hard shoulders, it's not a live lane.

Yet hard shoulders most dangerous lane on motorways.

My issue with them is that in the event of  a serious accident and all lanes go stationary emergency vehicles have a real fight to get to the location. A  hard shoulder gives a safe access route for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My issue with them is that in the event of  a serious accident and all lanes go stationary emergency vehicles have a real fight to get to the location. A  hard shoulder gives a safe access route for them. 

Yup, this. 

Oh well , don't worry . In a few years time all vehicles will be electric which is 100% reliable and everyone will be be whizzing up and down the country on HS2 . So the future's bright and your f**king welcome to it . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Why would anyone be doing 70mph on a single carriageway A road? And especially if they couldn't see that the road ahead was clear?

It's not comparing like with like. How you drive on a motorway and an A road are different.

The comparison needs to be between motorways with a dedicated hard shoulder and those that don't.

What about comparing a dual carriageway and smart motorway?

Same speed limit , no hard shoulder.

I think driver behaviour has much to do with crashes; not paying attention and following too closely.

4 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

What about comparing a dual carriageway and smart motorway?

Same speed limit , no hard shoulder.

I think driver behaviour has much to do with crashes; not paying attention and following too closely.

What about motorways with just 2 lanes and no hard shoulder 😁 

We have one and fooking idiots come to a complete stop to let folk out of the short slip roads, mental absolutely mental.

14 minutes ago, Bender said:

What about motorways with just 2 lanes and no hard shoulder 😁 

We have one and fooking idiots come to a complete stop to let folk out of the short slip roads, mental absolutely mental.

Fookin hell which one is that?

I will definately  be avoiding that one.

Cheers

Ia

38 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Fookin hell which one is that?

I will definately  be avoiding that one.

Cheers

Ia

Central motorway Newcastle, the last idiots that did it took great offence to me sitting with my hand on the horn whilst they were sat waving out an idiot that also shouldn't have been on the road.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bender said:

Central motorway Newcastle, the last idiots that did it took great offence to me sitting with my hand on the horn whilst they were sat waving out an idiot that also shouldn't have been on the road.

Jees I will happily give testimony in court that you were doing the world a favour when you exterminate twats like that !

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Quite why that section of barely adequate dual carriageway is even classed as a motorway is something I have never really got my head round. Tis a joke.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Quite why that section of barely adequate dual carriageway is even classed as a motorway is something I have never really got my head round. Tis a joke.

Is so fuckwits don't stop, it's not working these days 😁 

• Like 1