New phone 😁

Bender

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Welcome to the world of 5g, 100mb down 43up

It's no wonder openreach are rushing to get fibre to houses

Indeed. If you live in a city or town and have 5G or even decent 4G there is really no need to have a cable coming into your house or flat any more.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Indeed. If you live in a city or town and have 5G or even decent 4G there is really no need to have a cable coming into your house or flat any more.

But if you live in a rural area where there is no mobile signal at all you're stuffed. And we're not even on fibre so even the landline isn't that fast or reliable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

But if you live in a rural area where there is no mobile signal at all you're stuffed. And we're not even on fibre so even the landline isn't that fast or reliable.

choices.

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Not when you live in tied accommodation. The house comes with the job.

Taking the job (and the house) that wasn’t a choice?

there are laws against slavery.

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

choices.

Some of it is open reach being crap.

My town is 15,000 people which really is not that small.

We moved in when dial-up was high tech. They had not brought in digital mobile it was still analogue and phone signal where ok texts where still considered new data was not on the menu.

My work base is in a industrial estate on the edge of a village (less than 100 people) 1.5 miles away get screaming fiber internet and no Mobile signal.  Part of the planning for industrial estate, it must get internet.

The house across from work can get 63mb for the same price we pay for 35mb which on paper we should get.  in practice they cannot give it to us, however if we pay for 12mb we don’t get anywhere near that...

Why upgrade net work when they can charge the same without the cost of up grading?

Hell we struggle to stream a movie when it rains. Mobile phone signal drops by 2 bar when tourists hit town and the data really slows down tourists see it as quaint.

• Sad 1

I've stuck with Virgin Fibre optic for several years as it's miles better than what you can get down regular phone line for this area. My Brother-in-law lives approx 2 miles from me and can barely watch a video on youtube let alone have netflix or similar!

I remember when I lived in Cornwall approx 20 years ago. If you didn't have Orange or Vodafone you pretty much couldn't get a signal on your phone :lol:

Still waiting for number to port, it's a bit of a pain as I'm having to take both phones with me.

The Sony is a bit of an odd tall phone which many reviews don't like, I have found a great byproduct of the odd screen size.

Most sites cover your mobile screen with the accept cookies crap, this screen has an odd ar so it leaves about a 3rd of the screen so I can happily read what I want and simply leave without accepting anything 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Taking the job (and the house) that wasn’t a choice?

there are laws against slavery.

There are laws about maximum working week as well. But some jobs are still exempt from employment regulation. Technically I am not employed. 

Came across the ‘tips’ below while setting up access to home network, and thought it might bring a smile to this conversation

If you need 100% security, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your unit

2. Unplug any attached cable, including power connection

3. Your QNAP is now 100% safe against remote attacks

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on phone 😁 

It was a little hit and miss to start with, issue with one sided calls but after last update it's been fine, screen brightness is a tad low compared to old phone in bright sun but not a problem, I may try the adaptive screen brightness but it usually just annoys me. 

Battery life is great, fair bit of use and an hour as sat nav and still over 75% left. 

Screenshot_20210528-071834.png

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just looking for android phone recommendations. I'm getting my current android repaired and I've bought a Samsung a52s for my wife for her bday next week as she needs a new phone. What android phones does anyone out there recommend I'll probably replace mine in the spring and don't really want to pay over £300 I usually buy a phone and just pay a Monthly sim deal. 

5 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just looking for android phone recommendations. I'm getting my current android repaired and I've bought a Samsung a52s for my wife for her bday next week as she needs a new phone. What android phones does anyone out there recommend I'll probably replace mine in the spring and don't really want to pay over £300 I usually buy a phone and just pay a Monthly sim deal. 

I have the Samsung A70. Impressive battery life. Massive super AMOLED screen and a superb triple camera. Not too expensive to buy. I pay a monthly sim deal.  :thumb:

• Like 1