New Textile Jacket

So my Richa Infinity 2 jacket recently went back under warranty due to the waterproof inner not working as it should. I have just had a call from the store who tell me that they have replaced with a brand new jacket and would I be interested in an 'upgrade'

As this replacement is new they can put it in stock and I get the chance to pick something different than before..... But what to go for? I have recently purchased Halvarssons Walkyr which is a decent enough goretex jacket only complaint would be the arms are a bit too long. 

So what others are recommendations to look at?

Thanks

Fish 

1 hour ago, Fish said:

So my Richa Infinity 2 jacket recently went back under warranty due to the waterproof inner not working as it should. I have just had a call from the store who tell me that they have replaced with a brand new jacket and would I be interested in an 'upgrade'

As this replacement is new they can put it in stock and I get the chance to pick something different than before..... But what to go for? I have recently purchased Halvarssons Walkyr which is a decent enough goretex jacket only complaint would be the arms are a bit too long. 

So what others are recommendations to look at?

Thanks

Fish 

Well there's Rukka but they're bloody expensive although have a long warranty which may make it work for you. RST make reasonably priced stuff and I have a suit of theirs which I don't use much because I find the Halvarssons more comfortable and easier to wear. Best suggestion is to try stuff on and then it's a matter of how deep are your pockets?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I've just started using the Oxford hinterland.

It's laminated so doesn't take in as much water as regular textile. So far I'm quite impressed. It's comfortable and keeps the water out. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/481892

I think that’s the one we bought recently for my other half. We got caught in rain during our recent trip to bonnie (wet) Scotland and it repelled water as advertised. Most impressed. 

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

If you can push the boat out and buy anything with a Gore-Tex Laminate, you wont go far wrong, costly mind....

I agree with that but they are usually twice the price of the Oxford kit. I'm sure it's better but the Oxford laminated stuff is expensive enough without gadding gortex to the mix. If it's really wrong down I wear a light set of overalls which keeps me dry. Overalls arent very breathable but in UK wet often means cold too so I view it as insulation 

24 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I agree with that but they are usually twice the price of the Oxford kit. I'm sure it's better but the Oxford laminated stuff is expensive enough without gadding gortex to the mix. If it's really wrong down I wear a light set of overalls which keeps me dry. Overalls arent very breathable but in UK wet often means cold too so I view it as insulation 

I bought the Oxford Laminate kit a couple of years ago - total sh*te at keeping the rain out. Both Jacket & Trousers were returned twice. Now I just use them in Summer because they do have good vents, and keeps you dry in the odd light shower.  

I bought a goretex jacket in 2008. its still fully waterproof today, now after 13 years. its still under warranty too.

And its that last point that makes goretex a worthwhile investment for some people

• Like 3

As this is to replace a Richa (replaced under warranty), I decided a little upgrade was in order and ordered one of these. Alpinestars Ketchum Gore-Tex.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pie man said:

I bought the Oxford Laminate kit a couple of years ago - total sh*te at keeping the rain out. Both Jacket & Trousers were returned twice. Now I just use them in Summer because they do have good vents, and keeps you dry in the odd light shower.  

Yeah i heard the older stuff wasn't great. The new stuff is a complete different product. I've had mine a few weeks. So far so good but time will tell if it handles the winter and if the laminate holds well

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I think that’s the one we bought recently for my other half. We got caught in rain during our recent trip to bonnie (wet) Scotland and it repelled water as advertised. Most impressed. 

I bought a Oxford Hinterland 5 months age ... totally waterproof throughout the “summer” , but as its so short .. (but super comfy) its a summer / autumn jacket only ..I’ll go back to my super cheap. “sort of Chinese Gortex ebay” jacket for the winter as it sits much lower over my trousers.

But the Hinterland is a great jacket.

I bought mine as clearance stock from CMC Motorcycles at Clay Cross for ........ £100 ... !

Edited by Trooper74

22 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I zip my jacket to my trousers / jeans so I don't get any unpleasant drafts or leaks.

You're the first person I've ever come across to do this (for road riding, that is). 

I found it to be such a hassle I never bothered again.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Maybe its my shape but I don't find it a hassle at all. Certainly stops the drafts. Also I've got long arms.

I always zip my gear together - I thought everyone did this - or maybe it is a shape thing 😂 

• Haha 2

The first thing I look at in bike gear is: does it zip together, if it does - I avoid.

what works for me are trousers that come above the waist and a jacket that goes well below the waist... no drafts.

Well, I say its what I look at, though the brands I now favour don't use zips like this.

Seems to be more of a useful thing for bikes that have a rather more sporty riding position as the back of the jacket will have a higher tendency to ride up, couple this with trousers that sit relatively low at the waist and then you will need something to connect the two. This isn't so much of an issue on touring and adv style bikes with that upright position that some people love to hate.  it could be that or a clever bit of underhand cost saving for the designers where saving material is the priority, using less.

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Me too. I don't zip and I don't get drafts. 🤣

I zip my trousers and jacket together less for the draft problem, more to prevent the jacket riding up in the event of a slide down the road. I attended a talk by Dr Roderick Woods where he talked about riding kit… this was one of the many areas of motorcycle clothing design that he discussed that stuck with me. 

• Like 4

On 05/10/2021 at 21:59, Steve_M said:

I zip my trousers and jacket together less for the draft problem, more to prevent the jacket riding up in the event of a slide down the road. I attended a talk by Dr Roderick Woods where he talked about riding kit… this was one of the many areas of motorcycle clothing design that he discussed that stuck with me. 

That was very much my understanding of things too - so much so that I bought a belt thing that lets me zip my chino-style motorbike trousers to my daily RST Paragon V jacket. 

The RST jacket is 5 years old and looking a little worse for wear though, so I have been beginning to consider investing in a goretex one for the winter (and hopefully many winters to follow too!).

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 11:14, bonio said:

You're the first person I've ever come across to do this (for road riding, that is). 

I found it to be such a hassle I never bothered again.

I've always zipped in the middle. 
Not for draft proofing but for safety.
I don’t want the jacket riding up. 
Or heaven forbid the trouser sliding down 🤣 

• Like 2