That's a bland, bland bike with no character

PaulCa

9 hours ago, OldEssexMan said:

In response to the OP's point: I too have difficulty with this question of "character". I have asked many people what it means and received just as many answers. The nearest I can get to understanding it is, "the indefinable aspects of a bike that either mean you like or dislike it." As it's indefinable that means it's a matter of personal opinion, let's keep our opinions to ourselves!

everyone has different taste'sĀ 

1 hour ago, DuRavary said:

The CB was around when I got my CD and about the same time the desirable CB200 arrived. šŸ™‚šŸ™‚

Yeah but the CB 200 was f**k ugly . On the plus side it does have a song written about it . ( CB200 by Dillinger )Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On 10/10/2021 at 18:24, Liveware Problem said:

On topic, I have ridden the nc750x and nc750s, nothing wrong with it at all.

Ā 

However I prefer the feel and look of the tracer 700, feels more nimble and quicker.

Ā 

I agree, I rode both in the same day. The Yamaha engine is also smoother than the Honda.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 16:46, Steve_M said:

Hereā€™s an analogy.Ā 
Ā 

A modern built house on an estate. Itā€™s thermally efficient, needs nothing more than decorating occasionally, has excellent fittings, ergonomically well laid out and sufficiently spacious to accommodate a family.

Ā 

vs

Ā 

A 400yr old stone built cottage that is picturesque, though draughty, in constant need of maintenance, has a leaky roof, dripping guttering, low ceilings, small rooms, and outdated fittings.

Ā 

The former might be considered bland, the latter ā€œcharacterfulā€.

Ā 

Surely you ment bland v money pit.Ā 

On 11/10/2021 at 18:19, fastbob said:

I'm sure , like me , during any discussion on the subject of Blandness , your thoughts turn inevitably towards biscuits . Indeed , not only to biscuits ,Ā  but to those biscuits that reside at the opposite end of the baking spectrum to their more illustrious cousins such as the Viscount and the Hob Nob . I refer of course to the humble butĀ  aspirationalyĀ  named Rich Tea biscuit . Neither rich nor containing any actual tea * , this bland biscuit nonetheless has a role to play in that it serves to compliment a steaming brew by not overpowering the flavour and not being so sweet as to render the British Industry Standard two sugars inadequate by contrast .Ā  So I present to you the Rich Tea biscuit . But which is best ? The traditional round format or the lesser known but slightly more flamboyant Rich Tea Finger ?Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  * Fact .Ā 

Screenshot_20211011-180403.png

Not the finger too bloody flimsy it will end up in your tea you know it!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 18:19, fastbob said:

I'm sure , like me , during any discussion on the subject of Blandness , your thoughts turn inevitably towards biscuits.

Ā 

Ā 

Oddly enough, no, they don't.

Ā 

Ā 

26 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Ā 

Oddly enough, no, they don't.

Ā 

Ā 

They would if you had a sense of humour . And if you didn't have a niggling dislike of everything I post .Ā 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, fastbob said:

They would if you had a sense of humour . And if you didn't have a niggling dislike of everything I post .Ā 

Odd thing to say as you are generally one of my favourite members of this forum. with a no-nonsense attitude that I admire.

but.. my comment was very tongue in cheek.. as I thought we had left the whole biscuit thing in the past.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2021 at 14:35, PaulCa said:

"That's a bland, bland bike with no character", said a friend when I told him my new bike was an NC750X.

Ā 

What exactly does this mean?Ā  Granted my friend is a life long bike tinkerer, runs his own business, but what he usually does is goes out and finds death traps from bygone years, usually small 2-strokes and soups them up into being even more of death traps.Ā  He owns a V6 custom bike, which he is actually fitting a supercharger to it now.Ā  It already had something like 200bhp.Ā  He does not own any bike gear, rides in a normal coat, jeans and trainers.Ā  So I don't take bike advice from him, except maybe to discuss bike mechanical issues.

Ā 

But this "Character" they talk about, I still trying to work out what they mean.Ā  To be honest by first thought is that many bikes have faults and annoyances which people learn to live with then refer to it as "character".

Ā 

Ā 

your mates right .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Odd thing to say as you are generally one of my favourite members of this forum. with a no-nonsense attitude that I admire.

but.. my comment was very tongue in cheek.. as I thought we had left the whole biscuit thing in the past.

Well maybe I've got the wrong impression then . Easy to do when , after all , it's just words on a phone screen . I just felt like derailing the thread a bit with a biscuit based ramble . Seemed like a good idea at the time . Have a pleasant evening .Ā 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

Thanks to COVID, everything tastes f*cking bland at the moment, no sense of smell or taste ā€¦. Still !!

How are you both otherwise ?Ā 

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Ā 

he's a twat Bob

27 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Well maybe I've got the wrong impression then . Easy to do when , after all , it's just words on a phone screen . I just felt like derailing the thread a bit with a biscuit based ramble . Seemed like a good idea at the time . Have a pleasant evening .Ā 

Maybe diffuse it all over a custard cream?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fastbob said:

How are you both otherwise ?Ā 

No more sweats, less coughing, still bunged up & feeling weak, but we feel we are over the worst - also had a negative lateral flow test.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 2

So back on trackā€¦

I suppose thereā€™s different versions of character, Iā€™ve just put one of Ā my bikes up for sale in a shop which is an F800GT it was a bike to ā€˜tryā€™ before the bike I really wanted, bit like a ā€˜ last flingā€™. It had a ā€˜versionā€™ of mild character which I thought it would have and didnā€™t disappoint. It rode so well I kept it 2yr as apposed to Ā 6 months stop gap. Ā But back to reality it did everything well just like my washing machine does but didnā€™t make my heart flutter. In the meantime Iā€™ve now got my desired bike, an R nine t and very happy with its character.Ā 

• Like 1

Ā i read these postĀ  and have to say im a harley rider 1200 sportster i bought it because its so differentĀ 

from most bikes its like a tractor that big Vtwin motor or small in harley speak,

if i take the harley and park itĀ  up,Ā  people who pass by will and stop and look at it ,

Ā 

but if i park the Triumph up no one looks at it.Ā 

Ā 

Unfortunately Harley by being different is also a very heavy bike which dueĀ  to age,Ā  i can no longer get it outĀ  of garage

so its going to stay there for ever, unless i can get some unsupectingĀ  soul to buy it,.Ā 

My Triumph is fast it handles wellĀ  Ā but its doing what it was meant to do so bland it may be,

now i have just part chopped aĀ  a 650 kawasaki vulcan for a kawasaki Ninja 125Ā 

out of those bikes the Vulcan could be said to be bland by other people,

but not by the OwnersĀ 

Ā 

IA

• Like 2