One of the very few benefits of being old .

fastbob

I was idly trawling through insurance quotes for the ER5 and I could barely believe it . I've been known to spend that on petrol on a really good weekend . 

Screenshot_20211019-193003.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yea, when I got my first quote for the CBF1000 7 years ago, they quoted me £86+fees.  Which was £104.  I just changed from a KLE500 where they charged me £130 the last year.  I think I triggered the "over 40" bracket.  My car insurance came down as well, although a little old lady running a red in front of me and a certain incident of 88mph in a 60, broke that for 5 years.  Thankfully it's back down to £330 for a 2 litre sports car.

Edited by PaulCa

49 minutes ago, PaulCa said:

Yea, when I got my first quote for the CBF1000 7 years ago, they quoted me £86+fees.  Which was £104.  I just changed from a KLE500 where they charged me £130 the last year.  I think I triggered the "over 40" bracket.  My car insurance came down as well, although a little old lady running a red in front of me and a certain incident of 88mph in a 60, broke that for 5 years.  Thankfully it's back down to £330 for a 2 litre sports car.

Oh , you had a KLE . What are your impressions of it ? I'd like to do one up but they seem hard to come by and expensive . 

• Like 1

Must admit I was very pleasantly surprised to be quoted £120 FC for the Africa Twin. This despite no garage or security aside from the immobiliser. They do class my garden as a 'locked compound' though.

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Must admit I was very pleasantly surprised to be quoted £120 FC for the Africa Twin. This despite no garage or security aside from the immobiliser. They do class my garden as a 'locked compound' though.

Speaking of garage.  Carole Nash gave me two quotes.  1 on the driveway.  1 locked in the garage.  The only company that would insure it on the driveway the premium for full comp was £500.

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Oh , you had a KLE . What are your impressions of it ? I'd like to do one up but they seem hard to come by and expensive . 

They are great but a little too off road focused for my liking.  Soft diving suspension, weak single front disc.  Forward tilted off road seat forcing you into the tank.

Easy enough to ride.  Bag of nails below 3k, but it revs to 10k IIRC.  It pulls, but, you have to wonder how is only produces 38bhp.  The ton is available, even after the suggested up tooth on the rear.  It will wheelie, it will handle a bit more than a flat gravel road.  It's almost light enough for off roading.  I didn't do much more than rutted gravel roads to get closer to the mountain when hiking.  Nothing too hard.

Plugs and valves are a bit of a pain to get at.  It's carb'ed and manual choked.

Mine sat outside for 3 years, someone tried to steal it, shorted the electrics out, blew the CDI ignition and destroyed the key barrel.  Got it fixed up again with a new key/barrel, but corrosion a dent in the tank, paint flaking I still got a good price for it, £1000.  I think the dealer I sold it too would have a queue of 125cc riders dying to ride a big trailie and would sell it instantly.

Insurance on the MV was 40% down on the previous year. Don't know why - perhaps because when I took the insurance out last year I couldn't tick the box that said "over the last 12 months, have you been riding a bike of 600cc or more", so they insured me as a big bike noob? Or perhaps because I broke through the 60 years old barrier? 🤣 Anyhow, happy it was down to £150, even if it is it because I'm an old git. 

Edited by bonio