Got a lock up garage, any tips?

Throttled

When I got my bike licence, 10 years ago, I applied for a lock up garage with the local housing association. I was told the waiting list was years long and a few years ago I called to see where I was on the list, to be told they did not have me registered at all. I gave up, so it came as a surprise to get a phone call and the offer of a lock up within a few minutes walk of my house. It is in a row of garages below flats.

51718114285_01bd7882e6_c.jpg

51718114350_2d453fb8fa_c.jpg

I was told the door was locked, but when I checked, it opened easily, so the housing association are going to put a new lock on it. Some others have a bolt, but most just the basic lock with a padlock through it. We are a pretty low crime area. It appears to be bone dry. There is no power.

I plan to keep my bike, with some free standing shelves for the panniers and a few tools, but not much else. At most, I will do chain cleaning and maintenance and very minor work, such as change a bulb if one blows, but not much else. I have a massive chain lock that I plan to warp round the back wheel and frame.

Is there anything else that others have found useful when storing a bike in a lock up garage?

Edited by Throttled
  • Like 2

My son in law had one when my daughter was posted to Portsmouth. He fixed a ground anchor into the concrete flooring close to a wall. Secured the bike to that. Never had any problems but like you it was a low crime area.

Dont put anything outside to make it obvious what could be inside and as S-Westerly says put a big ground anchor in and one in the wall as well. Try not to work in there with the door up so people can have a look at what you have in there to. Its a shame we have to go to these lengths but its the times we live in and the scum out there that want to nick it. You could put a  cheap remote alarm in there they make a hell of a noise in a confined space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I will ask about that, but I knew someone who did have a lock up and he said they were not allowed to drill into the walls, floor or roof.

Ah. That might be a problem. The son in law's was an MOD property so never asked permission. 

8 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I would rely more on secrecy than anything else and rather than extra security inside, make it as difficult as possible to actually get inside.

The row of lock-ups all look the same and anything more than a basic bolt is going to stand out and say, there is something very valuable inside. Security is not my concern. I was wondering more about anything anyone has found particularly useful in preserving the bike or a garage gadget.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Throttled said:

The row of lock-ups all look the same and anything more than a basic bolt is going to stand out and say, there is something very valuable inside. Security is not my concern. I was wondering more about anything anyone has found particularly useful in preserving the bike or a garage gadget.

Asec AS1997 Garage Door Lock - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ULMMXI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GDZ4MHWTEPDKPPJCVBBJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I had these on mine and are virtually invisible from the outside 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stu said:

Asec AS1997 Garage Door Lock - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ULMMXI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GDZ4MHWTEPDKPPJCVBBJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I had these on mine and are virtually invisible from the outside 

I watched a video about fitting them. Even I think I could do that!

• Like 1

I am going to measure the garage width and the bike length to see if a centre stand dolly would work. It would be handy to be able to ride into the garage and turn the bike to ride back out. I have noticed a car usually parks outside the next door lock-up, so its bonnet partially blocks mine, which is not a major issue, since there is space for a bike to pass.

Enfield locks  in each corner 

Ask if you can change the door as those shown are easily bent .

They only lock top and bottom but are easily levered from the side and bent outwards 

Ashvale in hampshire had a spate of garage theft with those doors .

30 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I am going to measure the garage width and the bike length to see if a centre stand dolly would work. It would be handy to be able to ride into the garage and turn the bike to ride back out. I have noticed a car usually parks outside the next door lock-up, so its bonnet partially blocks mine, which is not a major issue, since there is space for a bike to pass.

But if it stops the door opening not good

Edited by TimR

Be sure to notify your insurance…. In the event of theft or damage, they may void the claim if they were not informed it was being stored in the Garage.

I was expecting my policy to be lower when I put mine in a Garage, instead it went up!! When I asked why, they said it’s because it’s stored further away from your home and your more unaware of anything happening.

Edited by Troy

Hi.

My rented garage is in a cul de sac about two hundred yards from my house. I'm a bit paranoid and If I'm being followed by any strange vehicles I go round the block and lose them before turning into the road. Sometimes easily spotted they invariably are vans or pickups fitted with orange lights and highway maintenance type signs. Usually two or three up and wearing them hi viz tabards. 

The garage is a prefab with a not to strong up and over door. I use a chain and I've got an additional padlock on the door but if they want to be in they will get in. I too had to pay more on my premium. 

I feel more confident with the bike secure in the garage and not on the street.

Regards. 

While on subject of garages I was informed if you have an internal garage and your bike/car gets stolen from it you may have issues with your home insurance and vehicle insurance arguing about who will pay out :shock:

No idea how true that is but sounds very believable!!

Just now, Tiggie said:

While on subject of garages I was informed if you have an internal garage and your bike/car gets stolen from it you may have issues with your home insurance and vehicle insurance arguing about who will pay out :shock:

No idea how true that is but sounds very believable!!

Generally home insurance will only cover up to around 49cc to cover lawn mowers etc 

• Like 1

As often the case, from me other thoughts on security...

1) Don't have your bike outside the garage.  I have garage in block, my bike leaves garage, door shut and then goes outside the house.

2) I have no more visible extra security than my neighbor's garages.

3) I have no solar panels or extras hanging out of it.

When cleaning leaves from around garage door I move them from others as well.

4) As others have said if you think you have been followed home loose them. Don't go near your garage.

Easy way to attract attention to garage: 

A) warm your bike up outside the garage whilst putting your gear on.

B) spend 5 minutes undoing extra vissable security.

C) spend hours coaching your bike outside the garage,

D) big secure locks only man something with stealing,

I do however have a nosey neighbor, a battery powered PIR light that comes on when you open the door in the dark.

Nothing visible, unless they are watching closely they will have to guess which door to break into.

Give them no reason your garage is full of nothing other than step Ladders, old paint and lawn mowers.

• Like 1

It depends how far you want to go.

Secrecy is the best policy, I have a garage defender on mine, which sits centrally in front of the garage door, preventing it from opening. Others in the row (about 25 garages total) have a mixture of defenses, including another that has a garage defender, some have multiple bolt locks on them. So I'd suggest going with something like the defender, as they are good and you see them often, so it doesn't stand out as someone taking too many extra precautions. 

It lacking power is something that can be remedied, either relatively cheaply or with great expense. 

I want to do a video on my setup, as I have a 130Ah leisure battery that powers a 300W inverter to run lights and one small thing. All my power tools are battery powered. I used to use a small 33Ah battery that I carried with me when I had to do work, and charged it back in the flat.

But now I have a 2.2kW Honda generator, with an exhaust pipe extender routed through the wall into a custom made baffle box that blends into the back wall. Looks almost like a bird box. The generator has a built in fan, so I'm in the process of building a sound proof box that has sections that fold for access, and other sections with axial mounted fans that run when it does. It will then power a control board when live, where it automatically begins charging the battery, and disconnects the inverter. When off, the board losing power puts it back into battery mode. 

It's quiet as is, especially if you just put headphones in. And I have a carbon monoxide alarm rigged up to start flashing if the exhaust develops a leak. I'm currently doing temperature tests, by loading the generator for long periods of time beyond what I'll ever use and seeing what temperature it reaches. When I put the insulated sound box on it, I will continue to monitor the temperature and hopefully if my calcs are right it will actually run slightly cooler. 

So if you need any technical help that from the outside looks unsuspecting, and can all be removed with no signs it was ever there. Just give me a shout as I've been through the pain of it already :thumb:

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 09:16, Troy said:

Be sure to notify your insurance…. In the event of theft or damage, they may void the claim if they were not informed it was being stored in the Garage.

I was expecting my policy to be lower when I put mine in a Garage, instead it went up!! When I asked why, they said it’s because it’s stored further away from your home and your more unaware of anything happening.

I am anticipating that. I timed the walk as 1m 20s and the lock-up is overlooked by two houses and below flats.