Glasses - Online - And general advice

onesea

Sadly in the last 5 years glasses have become part of my life.

Now it seems I am ready for vary vocals bi vocals etc.

I have order ready to go with low cost glasses having used them before:

However confidence is lost they have glitch with website unable to phone them FB and online chat down. - Sadly I think they are no more.

My glasses take some abuse so not interested in spending a fortune.  My prescription keeps changing to add to the mix.

I like to have 2-3 pairs.  Sailing/  biking, work and I guess now some reading.  It becomes expensive.  I do use my peripheral vision a lot so glasses that cover all of eyes are good.

My present work set I would love to get replacement lenses they where bought with COVID in mind and do a good job…

Site recommendation and thoughts from other glasses where’s appreciated.

PS not interested in contact lenses.

I've always stuck with Specasvers and get their two for one deals. I've had varifocals for years now which saves bothering with reading glasses. The main reason I've stuck with them is that their aftersales service is excellent.

With varifocals you need reasonably large lens as if they are too small you don't get a very good range of vision with them.

Been using glasses since I was 10ish = a long time 🙄

Moved from specsavers onto Boots as I like their service better.

Newer high end varifocals work really well and with fairly small lenses.

As anything you will need a period of adaptation and to find where the focal point is to a certain distance.

But once you get used to it you will be fine.

Don't do the same mistake I did.

After using the top varifocals from specsavers I went to the middle range. I hated them and although substantially cheaper the amount of time trying to find the focal points was obscene.

The only thing I don't like on the high end Boots's lenses is the anti-glare treatment. It takes forever to clean the lenses.

My Wife used Specsavers years ago, and ended up having constant headaches! So now we both use a independent company called Kelly eye care, think they have a shop in Ringwood😂.

Bit more expensive, but what cost are your eye's, I wear bifocals, wife wears varifocals, she did try contacts but never got on well with them.

And I find them a little bit more helpful when it comes to my eye's, I suffer from Macular Degeneration, luckily only in one eye at moment, which means my eye change's with the wind😂.

Or until I go to Hospital and have a injection every 6 weeks in my eye!!  Deep joy😱.

• Sad 1

Selectspecs.com is who my wife and I use for spare cheap pairs then we get a standard pair from specsavers usually when we have our eye test with the a ti glare stuff which is handy when working on a computer. I have only started needing glasses just over a year now and only use mine for reading. 

Selectspecs glasses are usually about £6 a pair with £5.99 

Having looked at 100s of glasses I know what I liked about low-cost glasses.

You could search by lens bridge and arm size... Which select specs do have... At a price 🤔

Still looking, might get some ready readers for a week till I can work out what I want and New glasses arrive.

The rate I brake reading glasses they won't last long.  

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

I've got 3 pairs, all from Visionexpress. I've a pair of sunnies for sailing and work (not cheap). I've got 2 pairs of varifocals - one long to medium for driving, biking and also work and one "office" pair which do for reading and  computer work. None of them were cheap though. I need my eyes for my work and I prize robustness above all else.

I've been wearing glasses for 12 years or so, started with reading glasses, now varifocals.

Been through 3 pairs of varifocals, the set I've now got are just right. The previous pair I had were so annoying, they kept slipping down my nose even just with normal use. I put it down to the nose bridge bit (If that's what its called) was moulded into the frame and not adjustable, the set i have now are adjustable to fit nicely. Make sure they fit snuggly behind your ears to again limit the slipping. My old set were terrible when riding my R1, head down, arse up position, they would slide down my nose incessantly.

Need to be able to put on easily with your helmet on, obvious but try it out. The frames need to be slim so they don't block your peripheral vision.

Got all mine from Specsavers, this set are mid range varifocal quality with the anti glare coating, not convinced that makes any difference though. Got two pairs, 2nd set are varifocal sunglasses for £170.

20220131_191950.jpg

20220131_191959.jpg

Well I ordered 2 pairs from goggles4you.co.uk because they had style, thickness and coatings I liked and under £100 for 2 pairs.

They have been despatched, the address of origin is almost Chinese…880B86D4-71A1-4A88-BC33-3319E5088122.thumb.jpeg.a9751007ef78fadbef0d06cd50bc8120.jpeg

When I went for my first specs years ago I chose the frames, and was then told to go to the big mirror to have a look and tell them what I thought.

This I did and told the optician I was a little disappointed as I could not really see a big improvement.

They told me the lenses were just plain glass and I had to come back when they had been ground for me. DOH. 😀

• Haha 3

My Wife has just come back from her opticians (Specsavers)  £300 for her new ones :crybaby:

Its mainly due to needing varifocals and having the lenses thinned as otherwise apparently they'd be like coke bottles :lol:

Before today she has always used the same local opticians in town. Rang them earlier in the week for an appointment and they were planning to charge £75 just for an eye test :shock:   It was £45 last time she had it done there back in 2019

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Tiggie said:

My Wife has just come back from her opticians (Specsavers)  £300 for her new ones :crybaby:

Its mainly due to needing varifocals and having the lenses thinned as otherwise apparently they'd be like coke bottles :lol:

Before today she has always used the same local opticians in town. Rang them earlier in the week for an appointment and they were planning to charge £75 just for an eye test :shock:   It was £45 last time she had it done there back in 2019

lol reasons I am happy to try online glasses, i was very happy with low cost glasses they lasted.  However they seem to be offline at moment.  Time will tell with Googles4u.  It have tried glasses for you but there glasses did not seem to last.

2 Pairs of glasses £100 with thinner lenses (1.67) all the coatings I could of wanted…

Why go cheap? I bought some reading glasses to get buy with, and I have already misplaced them… 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 22:00, onesea said:

Well I ordered 2 pairs from goggles4you.co.uk because they had style, thickness and coatings I liked and under £100 for 2 pairs.

They have been despatched, the address of origin is almost Chinese…880B86D4-71A1-4A88-BC33-3319E5088122.thumb.jpeg.a9751007ef78fadbef0d06cd50bc8120.jpeg

Well they arrived today and are on my nose, seem to fit ok and do what they say on the can..
Justbgot to get used to the variofocal bit of it but so far so good…

46 minutes ago, onesea said:

Well they arrived today and are on my nose, seem to fit ok and do what they say on the can..
Justbgot to get used to the variofocal bit of it but so far so good…

Justbgot?

You sure they are working ok?? Lol

• Haha 1