People who start out on 1000cc superbikes

Geoff Wilson

It's down to the rider not the bike.

In a lot of cases bigger,faster bikes are easier/safer to ride.

For example my last bike was a cruiser because of my knees

but it didn't suit my riding style and I kept trying to get it to do things it wasn't designed to do!

Now I've gone back to a more traditional style bike I'm much smoother/safer (and faster:classic_biggrin:)

29 minutes ago, Bender said:

I went from 125 to 600 no problem same as everyone else on the das, it was easier to ride, smoother and better low speed balance, my own 125 felt crap in comparison 😂 

Was it not a lot heavier? Isn’t it difficult to manoeuvre a bigger bike on Mod 1? 

Yes, I have heard that 125cc bikes aren’t the best when it comes to slow speeds. Why is that? 

15 hours ago, Bender said:

130 is dangerous driving not spending your not walking away from court with just a fine and a few points, toting up can be into loosing licence and can and has been avoided an out right dangerous driving charge does not come into that category. 

Nowadays he would be looking at a prison sentence for sure.

Things have really changed since then. Anything over 100 now you are going to be in big trouble.

It's really not worth owning a big sports bike for me anymore.

Might be different if I did track days.

7 minutes ago, rennie said:

It's down to the rider not the bike.

In a lot of cases bigger,faster bikes are easier/safer to ride.

For example my last bike was a cruiser because of my knees

but it didn't suit my riding style and I kept trying to get it to do things it wasn't designed to do!

Now I've gone back to a more traditional style bike I'm much smoother/safer (and faster:classic_biggrin:)

I think ‘it is down to the rider’ is only true to an extent. Bigger bikes are a lot heavier and much less forgiving. There are things you can do on little bikes that you can’t do on bigger bikes.

I feel it has to be down to the individual. Some can make the change easily it seems they are the ones who realise the right hand is not holding an on off switch, but equally I come across many riders who are scared of using the throttle and brakes properly. Very timid in the application of both which can be just as dangerous as opening the throttle wide depending on the circumstances

47 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I think ‘it is down to the rider’ is only true to an extent. Bigger bikes are a lot heavier and much less forgiving. There are things you can do on little bikes that you can’t do on bigger bikes.

Maybe but bigger bikes are much better equipped newer ones especially, abs not linked brakes, lean angle imu, wheelie controls, traction control and better suspension. Thin wheels, not so good braking and a lack of other rider aids mean you need to get it right a lot more especially in the rain. I watched a vlogger get it wrong on a 125 the other month I'll find the link and put it on here and he rides bug bikes. My bike fully loaded and fuelled manoeuvres a lot better than a 125 and throttle reapi se is less lumpy. I'd say a 300-500cc modern bike is much easier for a new rider to get along with, even something like a low revving nc750x would be a dream for a new rider I'd have thought. 

4 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

The crash is shortly after 21:20 for anyone interested. 

Wouldn't that have happened to anyone on any bike? It was due to the condition of the road rather than the riding ability of the rider or the bike. 

7 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Maybe but bigger bikes are much better equipped newer ones especially, abs not linked brakes, lean angle imu, wheelie controls, traction control and better suspension. Thin wheels, not so good braking and a lack of other rider aids mean you need to get it right a lot more especially in the rain. I watched a vlogger get it wrong on a 125 the other month I'll find the link and put it on here and he rides bug bikes. My bike fully loaded and fuelled manoeuvres a lot better than a 125 and throttle reapi se is less lumpy. I'd say a 300-500cc modern bike is much easier for a new rider to get along with, even something like a low revving nc750x would be a dream for a new rider I'd have thought. 

I agree with you with regard to the brakes, suspension, etc, on modern bikes and bigger bikes. But, let’s take a Honda CBR400RR and a Suzuki GSXR1000… you’re coming out of a bend and you put a bit more throttle than you wanted to on the former, will you crash? With the latter, isn’t a crash almost inevitable because of the power of the bike? If you accelerate too hard on a litre bike then the front end is going to come up and you could flip it. What happens if you grab too much front brake on a big bike? Etc. There are so many examples of how a big bike could get an inexperienced rider into trouble.

My 600 will do twice the NSL, but it's not often I hit treble digits, unless it's on a fairly empty dual carriageway or motorway, and even then I've never hit full whack, and wouldn't want to. What I use the power for is overtaking, as it has the power to accelerate quickly and pass fairly rapidly. If I wanted to throw a bike through the twisties my 500 is way more forgiving, but there is no dual abs to get you out of trouble if you need to hit the brakes

22 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I agree with you with regard to the brakes, suspension, etc, on modern bikes and bigger bikes. But, let’s take a Honda CBR400RR and a Suzuki GSXR1000… you’re coming out of a bend and you put a bit more throttle than you wanted to on the former, will you crash? With the latter, isn’t a crash almost inevitable because of the power of the bike? If you accelerate too hard on a litre bike then the front end is going to come up and you could flip it. What happens if you grab too much front brake on a big bike? Etc. There are so many examples of how a big bike could get an inexperienced rider into trouble.

I don't really know I just think of my own safety, make sure my driving standards are good and recognise hazards early on. I don't think too much of others actions. We could apply the same logic to anything in terms of what others do. Know the risks the law and concequences apply that to most things and serves me well. 

43 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

The crash is shortly after 21:20 for anyone interested. 

Wouldn't that have happened to anyone on any bike? It was due to the condition of the road rather than the riding ability of the rider or the bike. 

Probably  not a bigger bike has more safety systems that kick in early enough for the rider to notice an issue and react along with the bike to prevent the problem developing. 

IMO it's all in your head. Ride sensibly and you'll be fine. My son did DAS in his mid twenties and went straight on to a litre Suzuki GSXR. Didn't come off at all ever. Son in law did same and went straight to a Triumph  Tiger. Again no off from excessive enthusiasm although he did get side swiped on the M25 at about 40. Be aware of what your bike can do and don't just ride like a knob. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I’m not being funny, but you are talking like you have experience.

The guys that have been conversing with you on here HAVE experience and you seem to be ignoring everything that  is being advised. 

You have an opinion, sure, but until you have gained experience you really don’t know how a small bike handles compared to a big bike. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 6

:stupid:

I'm confused as to the point of this thread 

Everyone who has answered saying its down to rider etc you are finding excuses as to justify not getting a 1000cc bike which is fine! Don't get one! 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

A bit too much throttle on a superbike and you are going to be doing a ridiculous speed. Bigger bikes catch inexperienced riders out. 

Would you recommend a driver who has just passed his or her test to get a Skyline or a Ferrari?

Which is why I said only you are in control. 😂 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

:stupid:

I'm confused as to the point of this thread 

Everyone who has answered saying its down to rider etc you are finding excuses as to justify not getting a 1000cc bike which is fine! Don't get one! 

Fookin pointless. :stupid:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Was it not a lot heavier? Isn’t it difficult to manoeuvre a bigger bike on Mod 1? 

Yes, I have heard that 125cc bikes aren’t the best when it comes to slow speeds. Why is that? 

Physics. There is a gyroscope effect going on. The relatively light 125 is probably wobbly at low speed. With a larger bike with larger wheels and greater mass there is a gyroscope effect which keeps it more stable. Particularly at lower speeds. I have commuted on a 125. And on a 500. Much easier on the 500 to control the bike. Filtering through traffic etc

Interestingly, or not maybe, there's a guy on the Bobber forum asking if he should get one as his first bike. Every response except mine is from guys in the States telling him to get a Honda Rebel rather than a Bobber. 

My take is that the Bobber is actually a very well handling motorcycle that is easy to ride and since the engine is all about torque rather than horsepower it's easy to take things easy. The weight is low down which makes it very stable. The tendency for the throttle to be snatchy can be cured with a booster plug. 

But even so everyone seems to think a novice rider wouldn't be able to handle one. I wonder how much they actually ride them rather than bolting on new bits and polishing them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The American licencing system is very different to our own. You can pass with hardly any bike training. 

My mates done it and can't believe you can ride anything with something similar to the old CBT.

On 28/05/2022 at 12:44, Geoff Wilson said:

You can pick little bikes up much easier than bigger bikes. I know this from experience. 🙄🤣🤣

• Haha 5

I started on a 600 90bhp Fazer and it's perfect for me although the only problem I have is moving it sometimes as I find it bloody heavy and supposedly it's not even a heavyweight!

Edited by Blackholesun