Where do you store your bike?

Geoff Wilson

Does anyone store his/her bike outside?

What about rust and other damage to your bike?

Obviously not everyone can keep his/her bike inside of his/her house and not everyone owns a garage or a shed.

Edited by Geoff Wilson

My 2008 Versys is stored outside under a cover 

I have 2 sheds in the Back garden but the bike will not fit through the gap between the houses :-(

I have had the bike 2 years and we live by the sea every few months I give is a spray of Acf 50 and have not noticed any more rust than there was when I got it 

I’ve read online that in the winter a cover isn’t good enough because of rain and moisture. The reason is that the cover doesn’t cover all of the bike so the moisture will cause rust inevitably irrespective of any anti-corrosion spray one uses on his or her bike.

I’ve been watching people making DIY sheds so the bike is covered in bad weather. 

Would a shed or a garage provide anymore cover for a bike than the cover below?

image.jpeg

Edited by Geoff Wilson

35 minutes ago, V650 said:

My 2008 Versys is stored outside under a cover 

I have 2 sheds in the Back garden but the bike will not fit through the gap between the houses :-(

I have had the bike 2 years and we live by the sea every few months I give is a spray of Acf 50 and have not noticed any more rust than there was when I got it 

Is your cover like the photo above or a cover that still shows the bottom of the wheels of your bike? 

I kept my fjr and tl outside in all weather's for a total of 5 years with no corrosion problems 

And acf50 will stop it full stop providing you have applied it correctly and recoat when needed 

There's a huge difference between sheds / garages. I've had garages that were cold and damp and others that are bone dry. Same with sheds. 

So it's not a straightforward answer. A good garage/shed is going to protect a bike better than a cover. A bad one won't. 

The best ones I've had have been built as part of the house. 

The critical thing with covers is breathability. A cover that allows condensation to form will result in more corrosion. One that is breathable will fare better.

ACF50 makes a huge difference but in terms of storage it's obviously better to avoid relying on it as much. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pie man said:

where would the OP be storing his bike 🤔

42 minutes ago, Ferris85 said:

He keeps his on YouTube 😉

I ask a genuine question and I read that crap. Way to go fellas. Yet according to some on here I’m the troll. Righto.

2 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I’ve read online that in the winter a cover isn’t good enough because of rain and moisture. The reason is that the cover doesn’t cover all of the bike so the moisture will cause rust inevitably irrespective of any anti-corrosion spray one uses on his or her bike.

I’ve been watching people making DIY sheds so the bike is covered in bad weather. 

image.jpeg

This would be better than a standard cover but it's all down to space and budget I guess. I had my Chinese 250 before my garage I kept it covered well with Acf and no rust issues. As someone else has said if applied correctly and reapplied rust inhibiters will work with a decent cover. Best protection is a heated non damp garage or shed just depends how far you want to go etc, a standard cover and decent care will be sufficient it's just the issue of battery care through the winter. Some oxford covers have a clear panel and you can hook up a solar type charger underneath. 

Genuine Question. Where would the OP be keeping their bike. As we know, a timber shed is a good insulator, therefore a good place to keep the bike free from damp conditions however, a brick garage will probably be more secure. Mine are in a brick garage. 🙄

56 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I ask a genuine question and I read that crap. Way to go fellas. Yet according to some on here I’m the troll. Righto.

Seriously what do you expect from the previous dealings most have had on here? 

And the fact that you have already stated in the thread 

3 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I’ve read online that in the winter a cover isn’t good enough because of rain and moisture. 

That to me says you have researched this and know the answers and if we don't agree then we know what's going to happen!! 

Give people some confidence in that they can have a discussion with you on a subject without it turning in to a you know best thread 

• Like 5

Two in the shed, one under a cover outside.

With a cover I found that it's best to let the bike cool down first. A warm wet bike under a cover gives the ideal conditions for rust.

Living by the sea and riding all year round are the worst things I have to deal with. 

ACF50 does help. But even washing every week isn't so effective with the amount of salt round here.

Mines kept in the garage.  I used to have to leave it outside though, I had no option.  I used a decent cover and I'd smother the bike in ACF50 for the winter months.  Made sure that I washed road salt of it as soon as I possibly could, and just paid a bit of attention to detail when cleaning it.  I can't say I ever had any major problems other than it blowing over in the wind once.

I keep mine in a brick garage normally. And under a cover when on holiday. I wouldn’t put the cover on unless the bike is dry … I have a feeling that the cover might be better than putting a wet bike away in a garage actually … garage obviously more secure though

My garage couldn't be any more snug. Doesn't help wife has liberated parts with a dryer and a storage area for extra groceries, a veg rack and generally liberates any shelves she feels are in need of liberation! 

IMG_20220613_140938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/06/2022 at 17:29, Geoff Wilson said:

image.jpeg

What do you think?

Mine is kept outside in all weathers with only a cheap cover, no ACF50 has been used, I have put the cover on when the bike has been wet after riding in the rain, After 3 1/2 years of ownership there is only some slight surface spots of rust, make of that what you will :thumb:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dynax said:

Mine is kept outside in all weathers with only a cheap cover, no ACF50 has been used, I have put the cover on when the bike has been wet after riding in the rain, After 3 1/2 years of ownership there is only some slight surface spots of rust, make of that what you will :thumb:

You ride it regularly so damp gets dried out rather than sitting under a cover for days on end. Airflow is good. 

I keep mine outside under a cover but against a bricked wall for a bit of shelter from the elements. My previous bike lived outside during the winter and faired just fine. Got friends who swear by ACF50 so I shall be adopting that approach 👍