Too hot to ride?

quinla01

I ride a Honda NC750X 30 miles to work in London each day. The bike's in good health, recently major serviced. Are temperatures ~38 degrees a concern from a mechanical perspective? I figure probably not based on much higher temperatures in the US. 

I've ridden bikes in some pretty hot climates where this sort of temperature is considered normal, can't say I've ever had any problems.  Comfort is usually the biggest issue.  

Too hot for the bike isn't the problem, it's the living being sat on it who suffers the most in the high temps. Over here we're averaging 40+ at the moment and even though helmets are "compulsory" most of the locals on scooters don't wear them or any other form of protective gear at anytime, then wonder why, when they hit the tarmac and slide about 20mtrs they've got no skin left. 

When we go out we either leave early before it gets too hot or later in the afternoon as it starts to cool down, because even when wearing light weight jackets and riding jeans coupled with a helmet and gloves it feels like you're in a sauna, good for the weight loss mind. Plus having a bike with a fairing the size of a small car(see below) lol  doesn't help with the airflow for cooling

20220514_110252.jpg

• Like 3

We seem to suffer with media inspired weather panic in this country.  Right now it's heat but I'm pretty sure in the last 12 months we've had cold, wind, snow,  rain and fog. In other words weather.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, quinla01 said:

I ride a Honda NC750X 30 miles to work in London each day. The bike's in good health, recently major serviced. Are temperatures ~38 degrees a concern from a mechanical perspective? I figure probably not based on much higher temperatures in the US. 

Was out on my Tdm earlier, no problems however I did test the over heat fan in traffic countless times.  You just have to remind yourself that’s what it’s designed to do.

18 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

We seem to suffer with media inspired weather panic in this country.  Right now it's heat but I'm pretty sure in the last 12 months we've had cold, wind, snow,  rain and fog. In other words weather.

FB_IMG_1658156868728.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Look I'm a northern bloke who spends most of his time outside working for a living, it's tee shirt weather after 9 degrees and if it hits 15 that's officially as good as it gets and it must be a good summer, this 30 plus malrky is going to confuse the fook out of the wildlife never mind us 😂 

DSC_0461.JPG

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

FB_IMG_1658156868728.jpg

Why are you reposting made up images from faceboook and twitter. this isn't a real weather image you know. its from climate change deniers.

Whoever put that image together was too dumb to even change the temperatures which are a more normal heat wave. what we are having today and tomorrow is NOT normal.

Doesn't look made up to me. I've seen the weather shown as it is on the left plenty of times over the years. I've never seen it look like it has on the right until this year. You can go onto sky news right now and see they are showing it that way

Not sure what exactly is made up?

P.s. climate change is pretty clearly a real thing, what the above image shows to me is the media getting the public in a panic.....again 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Doesn't look made up to me. I've seen the weather shown as it is on the left plenty of times over the years. I've never seen it look like it has on the right until this year. You can go onto sky news right now and see they are showing it that way

Not sure what exactly is made up?

P.s. climate change is pretty clearly a real thing, what the above image shows to me is the media getting the public in a panic.....again 

Damn right they should panic 😁 

DSC_0462.JPG

11 minutes ago, Bender said:

Now when it's the log burner and it's heating the whole house 35 is pleasant, when the whole house is heating the living room it's most definitely not 😂 

You got me to look at my thermostat apparently with windows already open, I need to turn the heating on 🥵🤯

BA0C1304-B0FE-4F7B-A53A-5FFE2D566547.thumb.jpeg.c6225842aba306dc7cdbc4468cc5968a.jpeg

• Haha 4

The ride home on the R1 tonight was an experience, my legs were burning with the heat coming off the engine and radiator even through my leathers. Sat in a bit of traffic near home the temp gauge got to 107c, glad the fan works ok. Parked the bike up at home and went back to it after 20 mins to put it in the garage and the frame was so hot I couldn't hold my hand on it, tested it with my pryometer and it showed 55c.

I managed as much as wheeling it out the garage so I could get some bags of plaster and plaster boards into the garage then firing her up to put her away later that was enough for today 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Metcalfe said:

Temp here just nudging 40C so decided to walk down to mates beach bar for some grub and beers

received_1074842079782425.jpeg

received_7792743404132367.jpeg

received_1220744605445351.jpeg

received_521353983073000.jpeg

I feel for you that was a tough assignment but looks like you got the job done 🤣

11 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I feel for you that was a tough assignment but looks like you got the job done 🤣

It's all that military training coming through again. Ensuring that when it's hot you take on plenty of fluids😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rode my bike back from Norfolk last sunday in the sun and I was glad to get home, to me once it gets abover 28ish then I don't enjoy it. I was wearing mesh gear too.

• Like 1