Please be truth...

husoi

IMHO it's about time.  Most cyclists I come across are genuinely ok.  However, it's the same with everything, the entitled minority ruin it for all.  I've been undertaken twice now in a 20mph zone near where I live,  on one occasion, two numb nuts on e-bikes, who I imagine thought they were being very clever, one undertook and the other overtook me.  I even had helmet cam footage of that incident, not worth reporting it though because plod just don't seem interested, even if they could trace them.  I do cycle myself, but only around the plantations on my mountain bike, I don't go on the roads but I still have 3rd party insurance,  it isn't expensive, so yes, rightly so, all cyclists, the same as all other road users, should also have to comply with this law.

Considering how easy it will be for them to "run away" if they will smash a side/wing mirror or just run over a pedestrian. Wont be long for the insurance companies to start pushing for dashcams.

Some sort of regulation and accountability is needed but I cant see all bikes being registered seems too big and expensive a task. Some form of being licenced would be the way forward or compulsary ID when out riding either way would be a tough one. I think all road users on any form of wheels need some sort of liability insurance 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

We are in the middle of a cost of living crisis. And this is what the tories want to talk about. Blatant appeal to popular opinion. And would never be implemented. Shameful in my view. 

Don't think the cost of living crisis is exactly the fault of the Tories given its a world wide phenomenon and so far as I know we are no longer ruling half the world. There are things they can do to mitigate things so will be interesting to see what if anything they do try.

I saw this on a group with a lot of cyclists, and I got in some hot water when I replied to a particularly lengthy rant post with

"Knock knock... Whose there? Consequences of cyclists actions... Oh! You're late!"

It went down about how you'd expect. 

• Haha 3

The bits of the headline that stick out to me are, "could" and "may". When I read that I wonder if it's just something the journalist invented on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, husoi said:

I always said, Karma is a bitch.

Just wish this is real and will go ahead.

Cyclists could face 20mph limits and may need number plates in shake-up of road laws | Daily Mail Online

This was ages ago and has been proved to be unworkable. 

The percentage of injuries caused by cycles compared to motor vehicles is tiny. If we want to make the roads safer it's motor vehicles we need to be looking at.

What we do need to do re. cycles is to bring in proper enforcement of the rules about e-bikes and scooters so that those which are illegal are dealt with.

• Like 3

Although I’m a keen cyclist, they do irritate me as well sometimes. Like this morning. So I’m on quite a fast road 60 limit, the old A1 near Boroughbridge if anyone knows it. Runs parallel to the A1 

Anyway so I’m doing 60. No other motor vehicles around. But a group of cyclists in double file ahead. Solid centre line. 

No attempt by cyclists to move into single file which would have been helpful 🙁

So I either slow down to less than 20 and follow them. Or sweep across the white line and overtake. Which would be illegal but would give them plenty of room. 

What I actually did was slow down to about 30 and overtook slightly inside the solid line. That was possibly not within the current Highway Code guidelines but seemed the most proagmatic course of action 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that when overtaking slow moving traffic such as cyclists you can cross the solid white line. 

Yup - just checked

Highway Code rule 129 allows you to: “cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph (16km/h) or less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This was ages ago and has been proved to be unworkable. 

The percentage of injuries caused by cycles compared to motor vehicles is tiny. If we want to make the roads safer it's motor vehicles we need to be looking at.

What we do need to do re. cycles is to bring in proper enforcement of the rules about e-bikes and scooters so that those which are illegal are dealt with.

Just make it legal to run them over if they don't behave.

22 minutes ago, husoi said:

Just make it legal to run them over if they don't behave.

Nice idea and if you have a large 4x4 I am sure it will clean your wheel arches nicely.

However I think you might find a certain amount of pushback and don`t forget it is not our intention to lower ourselves to their level while we have the admittedly shaky moral higher ground.

Rather let`s put pressure on the relevant people to enforce the existing laws and find ways to make ars*hol*s responsible for their actions.

Oh and if they bring their pushbikes out into the country for a ride out and clog your village up with their cars just set them alight!

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

Sadly it’s an old article, they should at least put it on bikes, electric bikes scooters, mobility & scooters.  

+ To have third party insurance and to stop in the event of any collision or near miss.  

+ The policy number could be displayed on the bike as identification? The old tax disc holder style?

+ Should also make it law they have to follow speed limits and the Highway Code.   Including lights and light positions (sorry a head touch is not a headlight although fine as additional).

All of this will be near impossible to police however on the occasions they are caught the fines should be significant with the option to reflect on driving licences or future applications for them.

Edited by onesea

Nice ideas, all these, but none of them can be enforced with cameras and id plates / licence plates. And that would cost a fortune. They might irritate other road users (they do me!), but as @Mississippi Bullfrog says, the number of KSIs related to bicycles is very low. So it rightly doesn't much slice of the budget.

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm pretty sure that when overtaking slow moving traffic such as cyclists you can cross the solid white line. 

Yup - just checked

Highway Code rule 129 allows you to: “cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph (16km/h) or less.

I didn’t know that. Thanks