Rain trousers

I'm looking to buy rain overtrousers that are fully waterproof and breathable.

Just light pull-over types, rather than heavy rainsuits, as they are going to be used by myself and herself on pillion on our tour of Spain and Portugal in early summer. I envisage mostly good weather but with the odd downpour, especially in the north. I'm trying to leave my textiles at home and travel light. Last year we did Spain and used light Trespass overpants which were fine but a bit flappy. I brought Ricah trousers with me but never used them.

I've been searching online and I'm dizzy looking at options, but most seem to fit into the category of full high-end touring suit (not needed) or cheapo nylon or polyester, even when they come with some fancy brand names.

Anyone got a recommendation based on personal experience?

Edited by Breezin

I bought a pair of these Oxford over trousers, used them for the first time yesterday, withstood a 30 min drenching ok.

Fitted nicely over my RST textile trousers, they have lost their rain proof ability.

Cost £20 from sportsbikeshop.

20230314_191154.JPEG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Find somewhere that sells road workers highviz type products. Usually the waterproof gear they wear can last quite well.

I wonder would they be quite heavy or bulky? Trying to keep the payload down.

Edited by Breezin

48 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

I bought a pair of these Oxford over trousers, used them for the first time yesterday, withstood a 30 min drenching ok.

Fitted nicely over my RST textile trousers, they have lost their rain proof ability.

Cost £20 from sportsbikeshop.

20230314_191154.JPEG

I once bought a pair, after their first use they went in the bin, I would never to buy an Oxford garment again that claims to be waterproof. 😂

• Like 1

I have a cheap pair of cycling ones picked up from Aldi about 4 years ago, until this last year they have started to breakdown and let in water, have a look at GO Outdoors they usually have some good offerings.

Edited by dynax
  • Like 1

I have Oxford stuff that so far has been 100% waterproof. I have a set of Richa overtrousers which are good but my usual go-to ones are a pair of Berghaus overtrousers. They are waterproof but the real benefit is that they open nearly all the way up the legs so putting them on over boots is easier. 

If it's wet before I set off I'll wear the Richa set, but for carrying to put on mid-ride I carry the Berghaus.

• Like 1

Some good recommendations, thanks! I wonder does anyone have any observations on breathable fabrics without going full Goretex?

I have a nylon oversuit which would be totally dry except for the fact that I sweat like crazy with it on!

I've a jacket and trousers from armr ingot from SBS about 4 years ago. Wear it when it's bucketing down.

Fully waterproof, light as there's no lining or protection (got all that under) soft around the neck. Still good as new after 4 winters. 

Bad points, it's black, not a good idea for winter, it would be great if it had a pocket that held the keys to my locks.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/390564

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Some good recommendations, thanks! I wonder does anyone have any observations on breathable fabrics without going full Goretex?

I have a nylon oversuit which would be totally dry except for the fact that I sweat like crazy with it on!

The Scott's are waterproof. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 18:13, S-Westerly said:

The Scott's are waterproof. 

They're pricier but seem to get the best reviews. I've seen a couple of people online advising getting smaller size than standard. Would you agree?

3 hours ago, Breezin said:

They're pricier but seem to get the best reviews. I've seen a couple of people online advising getting smaller size than standard. Would you agree?

Not at all, if you think that enhances your masculinity you're in for an uncomfortable awakening.

• Haha 1

I also have oxford over trousers, I have only used them twice in extreme conditions. They did keep me a bit dryer than my normal textiles because all the waterproofing had long gone from the textiles.

Bought them from the Sports bike shop. Not expensive at the time but hardly ever use them now.

12 hours ago, Breezin said:

Well that was unexpected! 😂

Errol Flynn the film actor and Freddy Mercury the singer in some popular music group were great exponents of tight trousers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Errol Flynn the film actor and Freddy Mercury the singer in some popular music group were great exponents of tight trousers.

I don't think they were the ones writing the reviews on Amazon etc! 😆

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 19:10, Breezin said:

Yes I would as they are generously cut. I'm normally XL but got L and it fits well.

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Yes I would as they are generously cut. I'm normally XL but got L and it fits well.

Is that a direct quote from Mr Flyn or Mr Mercury?

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about these with a nice pair of red wellies I'm tempted to go puddle jumping. At 47 I'll most likely get locked up or sectioned but hey who cares 🤣

Screenshot_20230319_194058_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by MikeHorton

On 15/03/2023 at 14:44, Breezin said:

observations on breathable fabrics without going full Goretex?

Yes most of them become breathable in 2 ways fairly quickly, water gets in you get wet.

If it starts raining the trousers normally just add the extra insulation you need to keep you warm due to the cooling effect of the rain.