ULEZ

Mississippi Bullfrog

Living in the middle of nowhere ULEZ isn't an issue for me but out of curiosity I put our cars and both my bikes through the online check. Apparently my 2006 CBF500 isn't compliant. 

But then on the CBF500 Facebook page there was a guy who had got his CBF500 through the ULEZ system so he doesn't need to pay any charges. So I asked his how come his bike passed when mine didn't as they are same model and year. Apparently with bikes you can ask the manufacturer for a certificate that shows that the NOS level is below the threshold and then Transport for London will clear the bike for use in the ULAZ zone.

Just in case anyone has a bike that is showing up as not compliant on the online checker - don't give up, you may be able to obtain a certificate of exemption.

Honda provide one for free, after that they are £150 so don't lose the original.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, husoi said:

Why would anyone will want to go to London???? 

To start a revolution and bring down the government? Can't think of anything else.

5 hours ago, Bender said:

Same applies to imported cars that are pre 2006, Japan had been well under the ulez limit with petrols well before 2006, it's a bit harder but doable 

Yep. My 2006 Toyota 3.0L V6 gas guzzler is compliant, but I have no intension to drive anywhere near the shithole Londinium  😂

Actually quite like visiting London although would hate to live there. My wife was there yesterday to go to the National Gallery  (culture vulture that she is). Also ordered a new car which she won't get until  November. Wouldn't choose to drive there though.

• Like 2

I ledt London 30 years ago. One life's best decisions. But I wouldn't mind going back and living there if I had £5m to blow on a little 2 bed flat in Holborn or Mayfair. But downsizing is hard....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonio said:

I ledt London 30 years ago. One life's best decisions. But I wouldn't mind going back and living there if I had £5m to blow on a little 2 bed flat in Holborn or Mayfair. But downsizing is hard....

I spend a lot of time in Mayfair. I'd never recommend anyone live here.

• Like 1

I’ve just applied for a Crit’air sticker ahead of our tour in September. We have no intention of going anywhere that requires one but we got mighty close with Gap last year so, for the sake of €4.31, I thought I’d better be safe than sorry. 

One of the questions is are you Euro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 compliant or none. Also what CO2 /Km does it produce.  Now I know mine is Euro 3 but no idea of the CO2 outputs, and have no proof for either. So I’ve said not Euro and left the CO2 question blank. 

What a pain in the backside that was. 

London. Never liked it. As a 17yr old learner driver I had to drive from the M1 through to Crystal Palace (my dad claimed I knew the route better than him) which probably entrenched my dislike for the place. I certainly would never drive / ride through there by choice.  It’s good for theatre, museums and Kew Gardens… and that’s it. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 17:19, Steve_M said:

I’ve just applied for a Crit’air sticker ahead of our tour in September. We have no intention of going anywhere that requires one but we got mighty close with Gap last year so, for the sake of €4.31, I thought I’d better be safe than sorry. 

One of the questions is are you Euro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 compliant or none. Also what CO2 /Km does it produce.  Now I know mine is Euro 3 but no idea of the CO2 outputs, and have no proof for either. So I’ve said not Euro and left the CO2 question blank. 

What a pain in the backside that was. 

The level of confusion about these things is off the scale. Ive not bought one and I don't see any need to either.

In just under 3 weeks we will be going to the Eifel and using the normal route, which passes through Lille on the A25. Its incredible to me how many people think that I must have a Crit'Air. Of course, I do not.

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

The level of confusion about these things is off the scale. Ive not bought one and I don't see any need to either.

In just under 3 weeks we will be going to the Eifel and using the normal route, which passes through Lille on the A25. Its incredible to me how many people think that I must have a Crit'Air. Of course, I do not.

Lille doesn’t have a requirement for a Crit’air according to the RAC site

RAC Info

I've got a Crit'air and I seem to remember it cost me a dizzy €4.0. I had considered going to Strasbourg which requires one but in the event I didn't but for that small a pittance I don't have an issue. Compare to that thieving bast*rd Khan who expects £12.50 per day!

54 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

RAC Info

you make my point perfectly. But the confusion about these things goes further. A lot further than a basic misunderstanding of which places require them and which do not.

19 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I've got a Crit'air and I seem to remember it cost me a dizzy €4.0. I had considered going to Strasbourg which requires one but in the event I didn't but for that small a pittance I don't have an issue. Compare to that thieving bast*rd Khan who expects £12.50 per day!

from you if you ride your bike in London?

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

RAC Info

In many French Cities it is now mandatory. I have read if there is a classified pollution leak (as the French call it) in Lille, any vehicle without a sticker or above Euro 4 will be banned, as for just transiting through on the motorway or bypassing is a different matter. I am planning to go to Strasbourg who require a Crit Air. :scratch:

17 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My bike is free to enter. My son in law lives outside the ULEZ but works inside. His bike isn't free, not sure what it costs but it's a damn sight more than €4.60 !

Theres actually a very nasty side to the Crit Air. very nasty.

12 hours ago, Pie man said:

In many French Cities it is now mandatory. I have read if there is a classified pollution leak (as the French call it) in Lille, any vehicle without a sticker or above Euro 4 will be banned, as for just transiting through on the motorway or bypassing is a different matter. I am planning to go to Strasbourg who require a Crit Air. :scratch:

Gap isn’t on the RAC list but, if memory serves correctly, there were signs indicating the requirement as we approached last year. We avoid cities but, for the sake of €4.61, I’d rather spend the money. Same apples for motorway vignettes for Switzerland and Austria. One wrong turning and an eagle eyed cop*…

* I have experience of eagle eyed police officers, spotting a failed tail light on my car back in the days when the police were not underfunded and understaffed (1977, if you’re wondering).