Why am I getting wet

We've all seen the cold and rain roll in this week. 

I've been dressed for the weather but still getting wet.

I'm wearing a Oxford hinterland jacket and trousers plus a Oxford rainseal one piece over suit. Gloves boots helmet too.

I've been out in heavy rain twice this week. Both times I was dry but my belly was wet. Rain is getting into the suit and must be pooling and soaking through my jacket. 

The rest of me was bone dry including my chest and legs so I don't know what's happening.

The times I got wet were going home from work which isn't too bad. But as the winter hits I don't want to get to work wet. 

The only 100% waterproof breathable gear has Laminated Gortex

I have owned a Rukka suit since 2015. It hasn’t let me down yet. Two years ago I was travelling home from Grantham after bike service in May. It pissed it down that day and I even got caught in a heavy hail storm. 
At one point as I went down a big dip in the road I met a wagon coming the other way at the bottom. I had a tidal wave wash over me and I felt absolutely wet through! That cold water was a big shock! Then I wasn’t sure if I was wet…mostly around my arse…
I arrived home about 30 mins later and took my gear off to see where I was wet. 
I was bone dry. It must have just been the shock from cold water that made me initially feel I was wet through. 
I can’t recommend Gortex gear highly enough. 
There is gear out there that doesn’t cost a fortune nowadays. Probably as much as a leather suit. 

Last week I rode from Cheshire to Oxford in horrendous rain both ways. Solid battering heavy duty stuff at motorways speeds.

( By motorway speeds I mean 70mph to 1 mph filtering through four lanes of stationary traffic between Warwick and the North side of Birmingham.)

I was bone dry both ways other than a slight dampness around my neck where spray got between my helmet and collar. Going down I left the top vent on my helmet open so my hair was damp. Both ways my goretex gloves got damp but not soaked.

On a naked CBF so no fairing to protect me from the weather. 

My kit was nothing fancy. My usual textile jacket with an Oxford rainseal jacket over it. Oxford Montreal trousers with a pair of Richa overtrousers. TCX boots. 

The Oxford Montreals are waterproof but knowing I was going to be in appalling weather I added the overtrousers to make sure. Wearing the overtrousers alone I'd have got a wet belly. The Montreals are higher and have braces. 

The Richa overtrousers were not 100% waterproof when I bought them. I sprayed them with a waterproofing spray from Go Outdoors and they are much better now. 

I've had goretex kit from various manufacturers and whilst great when new every single bit of kit has leaked within a year. Maybe I'm just unlucky but I've never found goretex to be reliably waterproof. One problem is that riding all year the fabric gets battered by road grime and that seems to compromise the waterproofing.  

I've seen poor reviews of the Oxford one piece suit. But the jacket I've got has done huge miles in all year riding and has never leaked. 

8 hours ago, janinej said:

I have been given an old frank thomas jacket for now, is that water proof enough?  I am not confident enough yet to ride in the rain though.

I very much doubt it will be waterproof. But you can put a waterproof jacket over it. Layering keeps you warmer as well. 

I have been given an old frank thomas jacket for now, is that water proof enough?  I am not confident enough yet to ride in the rain though.

Yeah unlikely. You could try nikwax on it but like the bullfrog says you can put a waterproof jacket over.

If waterproofing layer(s) pores are clogged up with road grime, dead flys, combo of sweat and dead skin to make a film on either side that can and will allow water through the pores of the wp layer, especially if a another layer is pressing against it.

throughly clean the garments (jacket and pants) in the washing machine cool temp as gentle synthetics with Nik wax  tech wash then reproofer on next wash straight after. now i say it can revitalise and bring it back to normal but if the sowing or the layer is broken it wont solve that.

IMG_1162.jpeg.231090f089e78726ce9da1c9aa1fc762.jpegIMG_1163.jpeg.9aeb1a4b34f7878dbe52da360fbf1c3b.jpeg

Id agree, do the wash but just for extra insulation a cheap over coat will do a very good job for the money, just make sure its big enough for full movement ( racing hump if jacket has it and riding tuck etc) without pulling on the seams to extend its durability.

Rain is a persistent bugger.

I bought a Richa Typhoon one piece rainsuit. It looks rubbish and feels cumbersome to wear. In fact its only job is to keep me dry, a task at which it singularly fails.

Have some different waterproof outers now. Maybe next year I'll go for the expensive laminated gear.

My jacket and trousers is laminated so I thought that plus the waterproof onesie would keep me dry. I've ordered some nixwax to hopefully improve the laminate on the jacket. 

There must be water getting in through the zip in the rainseal suit. Although I'm not sure how. 

You guys are braver than I'll ever be, I don't think I ever want to ride in the rain but it sounds like some of you have no choice.  I get cold just looking at the rain!

14 minutes ago, janinej said:

You guys are braver than I'll ever be, I don't think I ever want to ride in the rain but it sounds like some of you have no choice.  I get cold just looking at the rain!

I never went out in the rain and always watched the weather, but if was caught in it then hey ho. 
Riding in the rain gives you more experience and makes you a better rider. You need to be smoother with all the controls. 

Last November I rode from Gloucestershire to Northumberland via Birmingham (for a medical) so at least 5 hours on the road in torrential rain the entire way. Arrived bone dry. Halvarssons laminated gear. Cheaper than Rukka but not as well put together and I'm likely to change it this winter.

I've a Rukka goretex laminated jacket, courtesy of ebay. Had it 9 or 10 years and it's still 100% bone dry. The laminated pants only score 95% as they let in a bit of damp - not enough to feel wet = and then only in an hour plus of torrential rain. This is the second pair of pants; I sent the first back as they started to leak after a few years.

I get a lot less wet since I waterproof my 2 piece suit with some marine waterproofing liquid.

It stinks, you won't be able to use for a couple weeks until the smell disappears, but boy if it works.

DO NOT apply indoors (You have been warned)!!!!!

1 bottle is more than enough to treat both the jacket and trousers.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, husoi said:

I get a lot less wet since I waterproof my 2 piece suit with some marine waterproofing liquid.

It stinks, you won't be able to use for a couple weeks until the smell disappears, but boy if it works.

DO NOT apply indoors (You have been warned)!!!!!

1 bottle is more than enough to treat both the jacket and trousers.

image.jpeg

Is it strong enough to keep those bloody Scottish midges away 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, daveinlim said:

We've all seen the cold and rain roll in this week. 

I've been dressed for the weather but still getting wet.

I'm wearing a Oxford hinterland jacket and trousers plus a Oxford rainseal one piece over suit. Gloves boots helmet too.

I've been out in heavy rain twice this week. Both times I was dry but my belly was wet. Rain is getting into the suit and must be pooling and soaking through my jacket. 

The rest of me was bone dry including my chest and legs so I don't know what's happening.

The times I got wet were going home from work which isn't too bad. But as the winter hits I don't want to get to work wet. 

does the outer suit form condensation on the inside, I wonder if the semipermeable membrane is allowing condensation through or is it that much it must be rain. 

I slid down the autobahn at 60mph after 6 hours straight in a downpour in Rukka goretex laminate and still stayed dry. It really is the best investment an all-year biker can make.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pie man said:

does the outer suit form condensation on the inside, I wonder if the semipermeable membrane is allowing condensation through or is it that much it must be rain. 

I see your idea but it's too much water to just be condensation.

I think it's coming in the rainseal zip then pooling so it's seeping through the Oxford jacket over time 

9 hours ago, janinej said:

Riding in the rain is just pure shite !   Move to a different country....

• Haha 1

I would love to move to Spain, especially in the summer.  Has anyone ever ridden to Spain?  I might one day when I pass my tests and get a bigger bike.

JJ

Spain have the best roads in Europe. Tarmac is second to none and really smooth.

Keep in mind, Summer in Spain can go as high as 43c in centre and south areas.

Mediterranean coastline is over populated (in my opinion) and expensive. You would get a good deal in countryside small places about 10 miles from the coast. Then you have the jellyfish at least twice a day in the sea.

North area is not so hot and really nice twisted roads. much prone to rain than the south.

Still a great place for touring. :thumb: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, husoi said:

Spain have the best roads in Europe. Tarmac is second to none and really smooth.

Keep in mind, Summer in Spain can go as high as 43c in centre and south areas.

Mediterranean coastline is over populated (in my opinion) and expensive. You would get a good deal in countryside small places about 10 miles from the coast. Then you have the jellyfish at least twice a day in the sea.

North area is not so hot and really nice twisted roads. much prone to rain than the south.

Still a great place for touring. :thumb: 

Once I pass my test and get a bigger bike I will add it to my bucket list.  I have been to Spain a couple of times, the roads around Bilbao seemed nice and twisty and good for riding and it didn't rain when I was there but was still hot.  Do you ride to Spain or get a ferry to Spain and then ride?

4 minutes ago, janinej said:

Once I pass my test and get a bigger bike I will add it to my bucket list.  I have been to Spain a couple of times, the roads around Bilbao seemed nice and twisty and good for riding and it didn't rain when I was there but was still hot.  Do you ride to Spain or get a ferry to Spain and then ride?

Being in Scotland I will get the Hull/Rotterdam ferry and arrive next morning fully rested.

The difference between Rotterdam and Calais is about 2 hours ride and well worth it because I don't ride down to Dover.

Last time Icheck the cost of the ferry directly to Spain is more than what you will spend riding.

In the north, you want to go over the Pyrenees from San Sebastian down to Barcelona.

An incursion to north of Portugal (Peneda Geres and then to Braganca)