Why am I getting wet

On 15/11/2023 at 15:38, Mawsley said:

Absolutely swear by the Oxford Rainseal over-jacket/trousers/boots/gloves

I look a complete prune - but I am a very dry one. Means I've stopped chasing jackets and trousers that do their job and stick with my leather and normal trousers all year round.

Same here. My cheap Oxford Rainseal kit has constantly outperformed and outlasted my goretex kit. 

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Same here. My cheap Oxford Rainseal kit has constantly outperformed and outlasted my goretex kit. 

Crashed while crossing Bealach na Ba. Bodged the trousers with tape and immediately got a new pair when I got home.

In fact, I am so happy with the kit I got a duplicate jacket, trousers, gloves and overboots in case/for when I crash again.

Rather annoyingly, Rukka has stopped including thermal liners in their jackets and trousers. They don't even include an attachment zip so you can transfer over older thermal liners. Bit low, that.

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Make's @fullscreenaging's kit look like an even deal*.

*Disclosure: I'm hoping for a 5% cut.

Not sure there’ll be enough to go around after eBay takes their extortionate cut!

I might be able to offer you a biscuit though. You can choose…

6 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Rather annoyingly, Rukka has stopped including thermal liners in their jackets and trousers. They don't even include an attachment zip so you can transfer over older thermal liners. Bit low, that.

I think it depends on the kit - Nivala 2 comes with down liners.

On 23/11/2023 at 18:52, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Really? I would never by any Oxford product again, The Rianseal kit I had was absolutely useless and the Oxford Mondial Advanced kit was just as bad, had to send the kit back twice, I gave up in the end and now just use it for summer use. Its no use in anything more than a light shower. 

7 hours ago, Pie man said:

Really? I would never by any Oxford product again, The Rianseal kit I had was absolutely useless and the Oxford Mondial Advanced kit was just as bad, had to send the kit back twice, I gave up in the end and now just use it for summer use. Its no use in anything more than a light shower. 

I know others have had poor experiences with Oxford products, but my Rainseal kit has been superb. I mentioned on here a recent two 3 hour motorway journeys I had to make in appalling conditions, Oxford Rainseal jacket and Oxford Montreal trousers. I was bone dry on arrival apart from a slightly damp buff and the topmost my head where water had got into the vent. 

To be honest, having paid so little for the jacket I wasn't expecting great things from it, but in bad weather it is the one I know will keep me dry. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pie man said:

My rainseal 1 piece lets in water and I'm not sure how. Wouldn't buy it again. 

My Oxford hinterland jacket and trousers do a good job though.

On 25/11/2023 at 15:48, fullscreenaging said:

Not sure there’ll be enough to go around after eBay takes their extortionate cut!

I might be able to offer you a biscuit though. You can choose…

What cut is eBay taking on your Rukka suit hehe?

On 25/11/2023 at 23:47, Pie man said:

Same here. I've had varying success with Oxfords waterproof products over the years. The trousers I sent back the other week were Oxford and they are advertised as "waterproof" trousers on the website, yet lasted 4 minutes in a shower before I started to get wet. Within 10 minutes, water was running down my leg an into my boots.

Don't get me wrong, they make some great products (I even have a couple of Oxford products on the bike at the moment), but for some reason they seem to be lacking when it comes to their waterproof products from my experience

20 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I sold my panniers for £275 + £25 postage and they took nearly 14% of the total. 

Annoys me that I get charged a % of the postage that the buyer pays for. 

14% seems steep. I recently sold some stuff on ebay and I'm sure they didn't charge me that much!

• 4 weeks later...

Just read this jn an article on Visordown. It is exactly my experience with Goretex.

Arguably the most significant breakthrough in element-battling materials appeared in 1969 with the invention of Gore-Tex, a membrane with tiny holes 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet but large enough to allow air to circulate. It’s great (but expensive) stuff, but it doesn’t do abrasion, meaning that it needs to be securely sandwiched between other materials. And even then, it’s susceptible to heat and friction from simple body movement so if used regularly you may only get three or four years of good use before the rain gets in.

On 26/12/2023 at 08:49, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just read this jn an article on Visordown. It is exactly my experience with Goretex.

Arguably the most significant breakthrough in element-battling materials appeared in 1969 with the invention of Gore-Tex, a membrane with tiny holes 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet but large enough to allow air to circulate. It’s great (but expensive) stuff, but it doesn’t do abrasion, meaning that it needs to be securely sandwiched between other materials. And even then, it’s susceptible to heat and friction from simple body movement so if used regularly you may only get three or four years of good use before the rain gets in.

very interesting choice of language used in that article. Congratulations to the author. These journalists never cease to amaze me.

On 20/10/2023 at 08:12, Guest said:

Once I pass my test and get a bigger bike I will add it to my bucket list.  I have been to Spain a couple of times, the roads around Bilbao seemed nice and twisty and good for riding and it didn't rain when I was there but was still hot.  Do you ride to Spain or get a ferry to Spain and then ride?

There were quite a few bikers on the ferry to Bilbao when I last went a couple of years ago. Our place is in Aragon about 35 miles SE of Pamplona. Fantastic roads around there as well as light off road to explore. There’s a website, navarider.com that has routes as well as organising guided rides. Its name comes from Navarra which is the province next to Aragon.

• Like 1