Why am I getting wet

Also depending on if you got an iron butt and the mentality of dealing with long motorway skullduggery (foreign forbles) for the first time.

so no shame in bypassing france on the ferry to top of spain fully freshen and ready for fun, your not missing owt.

funny enough but not at the time, france secretly declared a holiday in that area for some unknown reason at really short notice, just under 100miles from ferry my car on fumes, no manned petrol stations open and all the pay by card at the pump wouldn't except any cards unless it was french issued as we found out by chatting to a expat.

lets just say that was the icing to the french holiday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Also depending on if you got an iron butt and the mentality of dealing with long motorway skullduggery (foreign forbles) for the first time.

so no shame in bypassing france on the ferry to top of spain fully freshen and ready for fun, your not missing owt.

funny enough but not at the time, france secretly declared a holiday in that area for some unknown reason at really short notice, just under 100miles from ferry my car on fumes, no manned petrol stations open and all the pay by card at the pump wouldn't except any cards unless it was french issued as we found out by chatting to a expat.

lets just say that was the icing to the french holiday.

Being stuck in a country not knowing the language like that I'd just cry.

Been there felt that. 

yeah languages are my major downfall, barely do English 🤭.

winging it is satisfying when you cant just do it🤣.

One way was a Small note book with common things broken down phases, that was before phones were really useful but wont work if no network...🤬.

still wouldn't let that put you off, its an adventure!

I never had a problem with countries that I don't speak the language.

Even one time in Poland where the owner of the restaurant didn't know a word of English (or any of the ones I can speak) and I don't know a word in Polish. I still managed to get a delicious meal :) 

Maybe because I know sign language.

Well, more pointing language 🤣

• Like 3

Try at least it make locals feel like your making an attempt which case more likely to help or go out of their way and not make u look just like a selfish arrogant english ****.
Yes if all else fails i did have to resort to caveman talk, uhgaa ou ou..me (points to self) want food (points at food) in tum tum (point to tum and rubs belly) never fails 🤣.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Try at least it make locals feel like your making an attempt which case more likely to help or go out of their way and not make u look just like a selfish arrogant english ****.
Yes if all else fails i did have to resort to caveman talk, uhgaa ou ou..me (points to self) want food (points at food) in tum tum (point to tum and rubs belly) never fails 🤣.

If you go to Portugal I can assure you that you're better off just stick with English than trying to be a smart @rse and confuse everybody.

Years ago, some poor english guy was trying to ask for direction to Portimao and I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying.

Until he gave up and asked in English :) 

• Haha 2

Its one of those things where its based on where, when and luck.

Thats fine if they know English, a good amount of areas dont know it (france and spains les tourists areas) or it was so long ago since last they were or if ever taught it.

that's certainly been my experiences.

Speaking English, rudimentary French and not much else I've never failed to get by. I've ordered some excellent meals by random chance as well as one or two epic fails. These days Google can be your friend although can also cause hysterical laughter. 

• Like 2

I think its what makes touring fun. Just enough French to ask for a room with a shower, 'please and thank you' and number of petrol pump etc, same in German, but add knowing  'road closed' and 'diversion' or 'detour'. I don't mind making a fool of myself trying to order food etc, breaks the ice, everyone knows 'beer/bier'. There's still  lot of good people out there. 

• Like 2

On 18/10/2023 at 22:24, fullscreenaging said:

It must have just been the shock from cold water that made me initially feel I was wet through.

Got to agree with this. I got caught out in a monsoon type downpour on the M6 a few weeks ago. The temperature went down from a nothing special 16 or 17c to a cold 8c in half a mile and the spay & splashes were horrible. It was so bad that even the Audi's and BMW's slowed down!  I also felt like my Richa Atlantic trousers had leaked, they hadn't, it was just that apart from a pair of undies I didn't have any on underneath the trousers, whereas under the jacket was shirt and fleece top that provided a thermal layer and I guess stopped that cold and hence the damp feeling.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely swear by the Oxford Rainseal over-jacket/trousers/boots/gloves

I look a complete prune - but I am a very dry one. Means I've stopped chasing jackets and trousers that do their job and stick with my leather and normal trousers all year round.

• Haha 1

On 19/10/2023 at 23:42, janinej said:

I would love to move to Spain, especially in the summer.  Has anyone ever ridden to Spain?  I might one day when I pass my tests and get a bigger bike.

JJ

Yes! Many years ago, on a Fireblade!

2 overnight stops each way, a hard slog but brilliant!

I'd try to do it again tomorrow if I could :classic_biggrin:

If it aint goretex you're getting wet tex. 

That's the truth of it right there, I have never known any other product keep me dry in heavy rain over the long term.

However, you can just buy a cheap goretex oversuit from military surplus for less than £50 and it will last years. Meanwhile guys with rukka suits are worrying about drying gear.

Edited by megaross

3 hours ago, megaross said:

Meanwhile guys with rukka suits are worrying about drying gear.

I don't worry. I have a very clever and cunning plan. Its a bit complicated though - so pay attention.

Step 1 - I take off the jacket and hang it on the hook next to my front door.

Step 2 - I take off the trousers and hang them on the hook next to the above mentioned hook next to my front door.

After all this in depth problem solving. Im apt to make a cuppa and cut off a generous slice of battenburg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Rukka laminated suit has never let one drop of water in. My jacket is 8 years old. I changed the pants a few years ago only to get the longer leg. My previous pants never let me down nor the newer ones. 

I know Goretex can be expensive, but you really are paying for a quality product that is a brilliant investment. If you want to stay comfortable AND completely dry then don’t waste your money on anything other.  If it says waterproof it will leak. You need laminated Gortex. 

• Like 2

On 16/11/2023 at 10:52, Gerontious said:

I don't worry. I have a very clever and cunning plan. Its a bit complicated though - so pay attention.

Step 1 - I take off the jacket and hang it on the hook next to my front door.

Step 2 - I take off the trousers and hang them on the hook next to the above mentioned hook next to my front door.

After all this in depth problem solving. Im apt to make a cuppa and cut off a generous slice of battenburg.

We've no battenburg in the house. Would this method work with hob nobs as a replacement.

• Haha 1

Gore-Tex and other breathable fabrics do not breathe when wet. The water vapour of sweat cannot get out when out is covered in water. They either breathe when dry, or they keep out the wet. To stay dry, a decent dry over suit with taped seems will work just as well in the rain. Gore-Tex has the advantage of as soon as it stops raining and the outer fabric sheds its layer of water, it can breathe. That is why a jacket with a Gore-Tex liner can still be sweaty, as the outer shell is soaked and the vapour cannot get out. A laminated Gore-Tex sheds water from its outer shell very quickly. A dry suit needs to be removed as soon as it stops raining, which in the UK, with its variable weather, is very difficult. A day ride in the rain in Gore-Tex is not going to be that sweaty anyway, as it is unlikely to be that warm.

On 18/11/2023 at 17:01, Throttled said:

Worth watching this video by Fortnine about Goretex

huh. The more you know.

The good thing with Gore-tex is you know where you stand though .

Only yesterday I returned some "waterproof" bike trousers because it took less than 5 minutes of rain before it felt like I'd pissed myself. 
I swapped them in for some RST gear at twice the price and the guy in the shop said they'd be waterproof, but honestly I'm apprehensive to wear them in the rain, because  I've lost all confidence in "waterproof" gear.

Gore-Tex may be expensive for what it is, but at least you know it's going to keep you dry

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mealexme said:

huh. The more you know.

The good thing with Gore-tex is you know where you stand though .

Only yesterday I returned some "waterproof" bike trousers because it took less than 5 minutes of rain before it felt like I'd pissed myself. 
I swapped them in for some RST gear at twice the price and the guy in the shop said they'd be waterproof, but honestly I'm apprehensive to wear them in the rain, because  I've lost all confidence in "waterproof" gear.

Gore-Tex may be expensive for what it is, but at least you know it's going to keep you dry

I learned a lot about waterproofness buying my recent jacket and trousers. A good waterproof tent has a hydrostatic head of 3000. A ground sheet can be 10,000 and that is similar to the breathable products that imitate Gore-Tex and manufacturers like Alpine Stars use. Gore-Tex is something like 16,000, the highest rated of all. Arguably that is overkill, but after 8 hours in the driving rain, which is any rain when on a motorbike, I like overkill.

• Like 5