New tyres

As long you remove the sticker and ride cautiously for the first 50 miles to take the shine away then you're fine.

• Thanks 1

Pretty much as I remember, cheers.

Wondered if compounds were so different, that you could hit the first bend at 90 (well, maybe 50) and still get around it......

The only tyre you don't apparently need to scrub in are Continentals due to them having some clever compounds and manufacturing process. At least according to their website. I'm thinking of their Road Attack 4's for my next set. 

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Thanks 1

I had new tyres fitted mid November last year. I picked the bike up at just as it was turning to dusk, it was about 3deg C and it had just started drizzling. Boy, did I ride carefully!

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Thanks 1

Another important reason you should go easy on new tyres is so you can get used to the way the bike reacts. 

You won’t have noticed it, but you will have been putting more force on the bars in order to get it to tip in off the flat spot of the old tyres. 
It will be immediately clear that the bike will feel so much easier to roll off the centre of the tyres when they are brand new. 
Don’t be scared of them, just ride smoothly with no aggressive acceleration and gradually increase your lean angle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

Another important reason you should go easy on new tyres is so you can get used to the way the bike reacts. 

You won’t have noticed it, but you will have been putting more force on the bars in order to get it to tip in off the flat spot of the old tyres. 
It will be immediately clear that the bike will feel so much easier to roll off the centre of the tyres when they are brand new. 
Don’t be scared of them, just ride smoothly with no aggressive acceleration and gradually increase your lean angle. 

Thank you 

Funny you should ask that. My tyre guy said 'that needs running in for 62 miles'. How the crikey did you come up with that number says I ?

That's 100 km, as recommended by Pirelli says he. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Funny you should ask that. My tyre guy said 'that needs running in for 62 miles'. How the crikey did you come up with that number says I ?

That's 100 km, as recommended by Pirelli says he. 

I assure you that if you do the Moffat - St. Mary's loch route you won't need as long :)

*Other roads are available.

• Like 5

One of the best riding roads in the Lowlands ❤

Edited by bonio
  • Like 2

Yes. The only time I've crashed is when I had a new tyre fitted in winter and I very gingerly eased the throttle on and turned out of my mechanic's road. Next thing I was on the ground. New tyre day is no longer a fun one for me, bad memories! 

• Sad 3

Nothing much has changed, I hate getting my tyres changed!   I take it easy for the first 100 -150 miles, no heavy acceleration or braking, and gently easing over into the leans until I get the edges scrubbed in. That one is pretty important, especially if most of your riding is done on straight roads with limited bendy bits.  Heard stories of people having new tyres fitted, using the bike to ride from home to work and back again, on what are predominantly straight roads, going out for the weekend blast with mates and forgetting about the edges, then wondering why they low side on a tyre they thought was by now bedded in.  I have  had a couple of arse twitchy moments on new tyres, usually on wet roads.  I have heard of people who scrub them off with sand paper, never done that myself personally.

Edited by manxie49
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

I have heard of people who scrub them off with and paper, never done that myself personally.

Hmmmmm, something to do whilst waiting for it to stop raining. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I have heard of people who scrub them off with sand paper, never done that myself personally.

Wondered about that myself. Never tried it but now perhaps I'll give it a go.

• Like 2

Make sure you don't create depressions on the tyre that you won't feel until you're 40 or 50 mph on a road.

Patience is the name of the game.

Riding more carefully for 50 or 70 miles to naturally wear the tyre is always the best solution.

Do you really need to ride high speeds as soon you leave the garage?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, husoi said:

Make sure you don't create depressions on the tyre that you won't feel until you're 40 or 50 mph on a road.

Patience is the name of the game.

Riding more carefully for 50 or 70 miles to naturally wear the tyre is always the best solution.

Do you really need to ride high speeds as soon you leave the garage?

Oh man, I only ride at the speed limits.

Whilst I do have my moments, I'm definitely a cautious rider, and I like to enjoy just getting naturally and smoothly through bends without putting too much thought into it other than, "I wonder what's for dinner tonight?"..

Taking just the shine off the outside edge of tyres does seem like a fair idea. Once I've done my pretty slow and twisty 25 mile ride home and she's back indoors, I'll have an idea of what "shine" is left.

Edited by Simon Davey

When I got my new bike I was  restricted by the rpm but the only squirrelly behaviour I noticed was a couple of times on white road markings. Modern tyres don't tend to be particularly shiny from the off. A bit of caution maybe but you don't have to go overboard about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

When I got my new bike I was  restricted by the rpm but the only squirrelly behaviour I noticed was a couple of times on white road markings. Modern tyres don't tend to be particularly shiny from the off. A bit of caution maybe but you don't have to go overboard about it.

No, they definitely are slippery af. My bike has tc that kicks in very quickly but it didn't save me that day. 

• Sad 1

On 12/03/2024 at 21:16, S-Westerly said:

The only tyre you don't apparently need to scrub in are Continentals due to them having some clever compounds and manufacturing process. At least according to their website. I'm thinking of their Road Attack 4's for my next set. 

westy is correct.

Due to Contis microruffing of the moulds, a LESS tedious scrubbing in process is needed.

thats all a scubbing in process does- roughs up the super smooth surface of a new tyre....

progress your way down the side of the tyre abit at a time.

slow steady inputs (throttle and steering) with slight roll off (less speed/throttle) but not shut off going into the corner then before apex apply steady progressive throttle and steering inputs.

22 minutes ago, geofferz said:

No, they definitely are slippery af. My bike has tc that kicks in very quickly but it didn't save me that day. 

depends on what happened as to why it did it? was the user at fault (most of the time as to assume a tc algorithm will mop up everything) or did the tc actually made it do it/made it worse? which wouldn't be the first time nor the last time...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

progress your way down the side of the tyre abit at a time.

slow steady inputs (throttle and steering) with slight roll off (less speed/throttle) but not shut off going into the corner then before apex apply steady progressive throttle and steering inputs.

depends on what happened as to why it did it? was the user at fault (most of the time as to assume a tc algorithm will mop up everything) or did the tc actually made it do it/made it worse? which wouldn't be the first time nor the last time...

Like I say my only ever crash in what 25k miles total including track, I was very very careful (I'd had 5 or so tyres fitted by this point, I know they're dangerous). Google agrees that they're slippery, just be careful! Doesn't hurt to ride not like a maniac for a few miles. 

• Like 1

some some systems and codings are  better than others.

which also means unloads and replaces the load back on the tyre(s) while your doing what your doing, sometimes it works well sometimes its its own undoing.

doesnt make you faster but it can help you work out (if correctly set up) where the limit is and tidy up some poor control of the bike.

• Like 1