What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

13 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Take it from a public services front line worker you see horrific things humour gets you through its called dark humour. My grandfather was wounded in the somme one of the gallant 80 of the Worcester who returned. He always said if you lose your humour what have you left. Work with some thoroughly great ex servicemen from recent campaigns they are the same. 

My wife's friend is curre toy working as a paramedic in Donetsk for a charity he's trapped but again has his same warped humour. 

Nobody owns the way they talk and act about pretty horrific incidents. I responded to the paddington train crash, 2 provisional IRA bombings.

I guess you have a better insight than me, however if you are interested I can 'Educate' you on a couple of good researched theories that explain how I  particular certain people deal with what they see and hear of which is stressful. 

I was told nobody is perfect, I was told the last perfect person was nailed to a cross. Sorry if you are offended, I have the highest respect for the Ukrainian people who stand and fight alone with no support. 

Feel free to message me or tell me of your experiences. As I say nobody is perfect but I think most people if not all on here are rooting for Democracy our freedoms and freespeech! 

About 10 years ago I went to a museum exhibit about Operation Frankton in a village very close to where I was today. The two British servicemen were holed up on a nearby farm for 43 days. As part of the exhibition there were life sized photographs of the farm workers who were transported to concentration camps after the two British men had moved on but their existence discovered. Most were older men but there was also a ‘simple’ teenager who had not been called up but worked on the farm. Most of them, including the boy didn’t come home. Later I went to a talk in the village hall and there there were three women, then in their late eighties and nineties who had been there at the time and met the British pair. Despite the awful consequences of what had happened to their small community they talked about those two British men with respect, admiration and love. They had gone through hard times together and were bonded by that experience. I’m sorry if I find jokes about white flag factories and surrender cheap but I’m not ashamed of it. My feelings have been highlighted in recent times by the horrible xenophobic comments made on this forum and others by arrogant travellers who visit other countries and gave no respect for the population, rules and regulations. Brexit of course has brought this to the fore. I’m privileged, I’ve been able to spend large parts of my life working in foreign countries and getting to know the people, their history and their experiences. My neighbour when I first moved here to France spoke perfect German, (we talked together in German much to the amazement of his friends and neighbours) he had learned it when he was taken as a forced worker from 18 to 24 years old. He was shelled by the British while working at the docks in Boulogne and bombed by the RAF (possibly even 617 squadron) when in the Hartz mountains. He didn’t have a bad word to say about the British or the Germans, he had seen a life that few of us would understand but appreciated that the people involved were just other individuals of other nationalities doing what they had to do. Another Frenchman I knew very well left his family home in Compiègne and with his family and many of the others in the town walked to the relative safety of rural Normandy when the Nazis arrived and walked back when they were driven out. He too accepted such things as part of his life experiences. I’m sorry if you find me woke or lacking in a sense of humour but if I think someone is being cheap, naïeve or simply childish I will call them out. I have that right just as much as you have the right to say I’m a sensitive fool, a bed wetter or whatever your chosen insult of the moment might be.

I’m happy with my position. I’m riding my motorcycle regularly getting involved in the country I live in, it’s history and its people. Thank God I’m not just one of those armchair experts who talks about taking the GS or whatever powerful KTM they’re polishing every Sunday on a 600mile a day two week tour of Europe to tick off the standard must do must see to do list along with their clones. You might not like me or my attitude but I don’t give a shit, I’m here, I’m doing it and I do know what I’m talking about.

• Like 1

The point I make is people are expressing an opinion on a forum the comment you don't give a shit says it all really. I dont see why you comment on this forum or indeed are part of it. Call out whoever you like that's up to you. You just need to understand people are not saying anythimg abusive or nasty. You may believe some of us to be xenaphobic or arrogant. If people want to polish their gs or circumnavigate the globe good for them. Remember it's nice to be nice, but if you "don't give a shit" that's just fine and dandy too. Enjoy your rides out. I like seeing your photos I'm sorry you don't like my comments and are maybe offended however I don't wish to be censored by you. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

The point I make is people are expressing an opinion on a forum the comment you don't give a shit says it all really. I dont see why you comment on this forum or indeed are part of it. Call out whoever you like that's up to you. You just need to understand people are not saying anythimg abusive or nasty. You may believe some of us to be xenaphobic or arrogant. If people want to polish their gs or circumnavigate the globe good for them. Remember it's nice to be nice, but if you "don't give a shit" that's just fine and dandy too. Enjoy your rides out. I like seeing your photos I'm sorry you don't like my comments and are maybe offended however I don't wish to be censored by you. 

To be honest I haven’t got a clue why you offered to educate me about something that I had never commented in and that you had know idea about my knowledge of. I suppose you are one of those men who believe racism and national stereotyping is harmless banter and if so poor you. You also seem to be misrepresenting what I said. I’m allowed to express my opinions and have done so. If you don’t like it that’s your problem. Personally I don’t think that the post that I was commenting on was particularly nice, it’s the sort of thing that’s best left in a primary school playground. Accepting something you don’t like and believe us wrong is not being nice.

6 minutes ago, DR1 said:

To be honest I haven’t got a clue why you offered to educate me about something that I had never commented in and that you had know idea about my knowledge of. I suppose you are one of those men who believe racism and national stereotyping is harmless banter and if so poor you. You also seem to be misrepresenting what I said. I’m allowed to express my opinions and have done so. If you don’t like it that’s your problem. Personally I don’t think that the post that I was commenting on was particularly nice, it’s the sort of thing that’s best left in a primary school playground. Accepting something you don’t like and believe us wrong is not being nice.

Dear God man give it a fecking rest its always the same thing it comes back to, don't educate me bla bla bla. 

The French military are no angels but no one was having a go at them or the French in the first place, its like you sit and wait to create an issue that doesn't exist. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bender said:

Dear God man give it a fecking rest its always the same thing it comes back to, don't educate me bla bla bla. 

The French military are no angels but no one was having a go at them or the French in the first place, its like you sit and wait to create an issue that doesn't exist. 

Really. Weren’t we told to be nice? I made a valid comment about something that I read in this forum why is that unacceptable? 

Just now, DR1 said:

Really. Weren’t we told to be nice? I made a valid comment about something that I read in this forum why is that unacceptable? 

No, being nice is fine I simply requested creating issues to be laid to one side, ie give it a rest, a simple I find the humour on the war thread inappropriate, I'm not keen on some of it either as it's an immensely tragic and dangerous situation. 

But nothing has been posted that leads me to call anyone anything, my humour can be darker than most. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DR1 said:

It's you that's unacceptable! 

Someone disagrees with you and all hell breaks loose! 

You could always spit your dummy out and leave again then come back with a name change but still be the same obnoxious person you always are :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It's you that's unacceptable! 

Someone disagrees with you and all hell breaks loose! 

You could always spit your dummy out and leave again then come back with a name change but still be the same obnoxious person you always are :D

He's not that bloke with the super galactic engine thingy is he?

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

He's not that bloke with the super galactic engine thingy is he?

I remember him, he was the best. Claimed he was a genius with a revolutionary engine design but no one was listening. Something like that anyway.

1 hour ago, goat said:

I remember him, he was the best. Claimed he was a genius with a revolutionary engine design but no one was listening. Something like that anyway.

Ah yes! No @Mr Fro that's not him 

Decided it was time for an oil change, clean and oil of the chain and fit the Akrapovic. Called the insurance and they didn't need to be informed by all accounts. Then off to J&S to replace the failed Oxford Stormex cover, lets see how long this one lasts 😂

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Ah yes! No @Mr Fro that's not him 

Well who is it then?

You're like that girl across the street when I was a kid, got all the talk but when it comes to the crunch you ain't ready to give over the goodies.

11 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Well who is it then?

You're like that girl across the street when I was a kid, got all the talk but when it comes to the crunch you ain't ready to give over the goodies.

ffs! I am getting on a bit now I can't remember the old name! bear with......