Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

'Tis a lovely sunny dry morning here. So of course I am at work all day. 

Ditto.

I chalk it down to karma :D

Good afternoon,

Got a friend coming up from London to stay the weekend, which should be good if the weather holds up. We did our apprenticeship together back in 2010, and were fairly inseparable for a time when I lived down there. I got him into bikes within 2 weeks of meeting, and sold him more than one. And he was there when my CBR600RR was pinched, and saw the pain hit me as reality of what had happened sank in up close and personal :lol:

I still miss that bike. I daren't own another one though as the thieves are out in force around Manchester now. :roll: 

This morning I am going to look at a new (to me) boat. When the best sailor in our club told me he'd stopped sailing Lasers when he was 30 as by then he was too old to handle one it made me think. I'm 62 and still battling it out in my Laser. Every race is getting more and more painful. 

So I have got to the stage of accepting I need a boat suited to the more mature gentleman.  One you sit in rather than hanging out of the side of. 

• Sad 1

On 12/08/2023 at 08:41, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This morning I am going to look at a new (to me) boat. When the best sailor in our club told me he'd stopped sailing Lasers when he was 30 as by then he was too old to handle one it made me think. I'm 62 and still battling it out in my Laser. Every race is getting more and more painful. 

So I have got to the stage of accepting I need a boat suited to the more mature gentleman.  One you sit in rather than hanging out of the side of. 

Some years ago my good lady bought us sailing lessons on the Filby Broad. The sailing group used Wayfarers. Neither of us are particularly flexible, and we weren’t in the first flush of youth at the time, so any manoeuvre involving ducking under the boom - ie. Most of them - became a little wearing after many repetitions. And Filby Broad being one of the smaller broads meant there was a lot of changes of direction to stay out of the reeds. Still, we got our RYA level 2. We subsequently hired boats on St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly, and Ullswater where it was possible to sail a long reach without too much buggering about with many major direction changes. 

Then she bought me a long weekend course to do Competent Crew on a 35ft boat. Oh, joy, no need to crawl about when tacking. Now this was more like it. Now I understood why she was so keen on sailing a larger boat (her dad had a 27ft boat when she was young).

I looked at the cost of buying and running something along those lines. The bike would have to go…. Sod that. And we haven’t sailed since. Which is a shame. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon :classic_biggrin: We had a really good (long) weekend :thumb:

This morning I have been filling in forms, contracts etc. for the new job ( nearly 5 hours)

Don't know when I'll be starting yet but going away again on Sunday! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Some years ago my good lady bought us sailing lessons on the Filby Broad. The sailing group used Wayfarers. Neither of us are particularly flexible, and we weren’t in the first flush of youth at the time, so any manoeuvre involving ducking under the boom - ie. Most of them - became a little wearing after many repetitions. And Filby Broad being one of the smaller broads meant there was a lot of changes of direction to stay out of the reeds. Still, we got our RYA level 2. We subsequently hired boats on St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly, and Ullswater where it was possible to sail a long reach without too much buggering about with many major direction changes. 

Then she bought me a long weekend course to do Competent Crew on a 35ft boat. Oh, joy, no need to crawl about when tacking. Now this was more like it. Now I understood why she was so keen on sailing a larger boat (her dad had a 27ft boat when she was young).

I looked at the cost of buying and running something along those lines. The bike would have to go…. Sod that. And we haven’t sailed since. Which is a shame. 

My wife and I had a 35 foot sail boat for 10 years and we sailed it all over the west coast of the UK and Ireland.  Spent weeks at a time living on it but it was a money pit. Then grandkids arrived and wife became No.1 childminder so opportunity for sailing evaporated.  Sold it and bought a Ducati instead.  Still miss it a bit though.

• Like 3

Euro Jeopardy'. Starting to think its going to be too late. So my dates for heading off on the bike are being pushed back even further. Its now looking like the 18th September before I can head off to either the Vosges or Eifel/Black Forest. I'm my worst enemy, leaving everything until last minute. Need to get my act together, I've left it until the first week of Sept before and enjoyed the wine festivals, but never left it this late. Here's hoping for an Indian summer. Going it alone again :crybaby:, wife will spending her time between work and minding the grad children. :thumb:

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

Euro Jeopardy'. Starting to think its going to be too late. So my dates for heading off on the bike are being pushed back even further. Its now looking like the 18th September before I can head off to either the Vosges or Eifel/Black Forest. I'm my worst enemy, leaving everything until last minute. Need to get my act together, I've left it until the first week of Sept before and enjoyed the wine festivals, but never left it this late. Here's hoping for an Indian summer. Going it alone again :crybaby:, wife will spending her time between work and minding the grad children. :thumb:

Several of our jaunts into the Alps have been late September / early October. We’ve been generally fortunate with the weather. We came unstuck last year when they closed the Col de l’Iseran early, on the 23rd September, which was our intended date to head from Val Cenis into Switzerland. Fortunately we never book hotels in advance in case of disruptive events such as this and had a splendid time finding new-to-us places (EG Verdon Gorge. Superb).

We’re heading off relatively early this year. Into Norfolk on the 2nd September, and then on to the Harwich / Hook on the evening of the 3rd for 12 nights pottering around some lumpy bits of Europe.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2