Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

11 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Evening all!

Bike has new tyres and I've replaced the brake fluid (somewhat easier task than on the Bandit. Only took just over 90 minutes to drain, flush, fill and bleed both front and back systems (inc ABS) 😁

Now for a ride out.....

Dare I ask how much those mahoosive tyres were?

Not looking forward to this when Fatty needs new boots lol.

Cheers

Ian

21 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Just found out I've got a 50% tear in my achilles tendon. There are times when life really, really is a total bitch. Totally and utterly pissed off.

That really is a pain no pun intended, You must be due a bit of good luck sooner or later surely.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Just found out I've got a 50% tear in my achilles tendon. There are times when life really, really is a total bitch. Totally and utterly pissed off.

Oof, I bet you felt a prang when that went! I think as long as the torn ends aren't "diseased" (basically too battered to join) it can heal. Or am I thinking of the wrong ligament?

But still, bet that's going to be a slow recovery. How are the pain levels? 

45 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Oof, I bet you felt a prang when that went! I think as long as the torn ends aren't "diseased" (basically too battered to join) it can heal. Or am I thinking of the wrong ligament?

But still, bet that's going to be a slow recovery. How are the pain levels? 

Funnily enough there was no prang just a slowly developing pain over a number of miles over the moors. Swelled up like hell but no real painful moment.

Given my luck has to turn I'll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Funnily enough there was no prang just a slowly developing pain over a number of miles over the moors. Swelled up like hell but no real painful moment.

Given my luck has to turn I'll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. 

I would wear all your gear when you do, shop may fall on you if your not over the worst yet 😁 

• Haha 1

Having a sort through my boxes of wires and electrical bits in garage and came across this.

A bit of nostalgia for the days when you couldn't just flick a switch to turn the lights back on after a blow out :lol:

20220920_114657.jpg

20220920_114703.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Having a sort through my boxes of wires and electrical bits in garage and came across this.

A bit of nostalgia for the days when you couldn't just flick a switch to turn the lights back on after a blow out :lol:

20220920_114657.jpg

20220920_114703.jpg

I have a full set of those + the extra-large Kitchen Cooker ones!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Good news for today! 

I mentioned a while back that I was taking a lunge on a position that was 2 levels above where I am now. The aim of it was to at least force/trigger the next step in my career. I've essentially been doing the role above for nearly 2 years anyway, so it's more recognition I'm after.

There was a lot of drama while I was away on holiday, as basically there's a colleague that has been in her role for a similar amount of time to me, who also wants promotion. We've both been fighting a joint battle, but I was the only one to take a lunge for the principle position 2 rungs up.

I missed out on the principle position, but came close enough to the person who got it (who is a lot more experienced than me) that the feedback was to expedite me up to a lead engineer role, and then develop me to principle within the next 1-2 years. My colleague asks if that means a role for her will also be produced, and she's told to apply for it. However as we are open with each other, she knows it was promised to me and there's only 1 available, so she tells our boss that she is going to leave. 

However, I told my boss that if I didn't get the role, I was leaving, but also that if I was given the role and my colleague not, I'd also be leaving as I wouldn't stay with a company treating my peers that way. So my boss tells this to the hiring manager, who is basically forced to go upstream to get approval.

And we were both made lead engineers. Result!

Congratulations. And well done looking after a colleague as well. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good news for today! 

I mentioned a while back that I was taking a lunge on a position that was 2 levels above where I am now. The aim of it was to at least force/trigger the next step in my career. I've essentially been doing the role above for nearly 2 years anyway, so it's more recognition I'm after.

There was a lot of drama while I was away on holiday, as basically there's a colleague that has been in her role for a similar amount of time to me, who also wants promotion. We've both been fighting a joint battle, but I was the only one to take a lunge for the principle position 2 rungs up.

I missed out on the principle position, but came close enough to the person who got it (who is a lot more experienced than me) that the feedback was to expedite me up to a lead engineer role, and then develop me to principle within the next 1-2 years. My colleague asks if that means a role for her will also be produced, and she's told to apply for it. However as we are open with each other, she knows it was promised to me and there's only 1 available, so she tells our boss that she is going to leave. 

However, I told my boss that if I didn't get the role, I was leaving, but also that if I was given the role and my colleague not, I'd also be leaving as I wouldn't stay with a company treating my peers that way. So my boss tells this to the hiring manager, who is basically forced to go upstream to get approval.

And we were both made lead engineers. Result!

Big balls !  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Oh well done you.! And 10 out of 10 for sticking up for your colleague.  Not something that is too common in any field of work I think.

12 hours ago, fastbob said:

Big balls !  

Cheers chaps, I'm fairly happy with how the situation panned out. A couple of colleagues and my old man advised against it as they said the company would play a numbers game, and I couldn't expect my co-worker to make the same condition, which I didn't.

I chose to do it anyway and play a straight bat with my boss. So when my co-worker said she was leaving over the situation, my boss pointed out they were losing 2, not 1. And I think what helped most was it wasn't emotional or impulsive, it was a plan left lying in wait, and I'd recently updated my LinkedIN and CV, so the writing was on the wall. 

Bugger it, I've caught covid. Think I was coming down with it late last week while I was in America. 

Big headaches for a day yesterday, a bit of a cough, but compared to my first encounter, a complete pussy cat that has lost its teeth. 

Will be working on my bike in the garage feeling sorry for myself, and keeping hydrated/fed. Hopefully see it off in a few days. 

• Sad 7