The Future of Bike Coms.

Where do you see the future of bike coms...

IMHO both the big brands have issues Senna and Cardo are over priced and underperform. Personally I have Pack Talk.. Love dual Audio Streaming and clear talk to Pillion and other riders IF we can be bothered fighting to connect.

I don't even bother trying now if its Senna- Cardo I know it can be done but its more agro than its worth IMHO

I would of said once a Radio based coms system with increased range to the helmet sets, bike mounted and Bluetooth to your choice of helmet device... All complex and requiring mounting to the bike and probably on available Push to talk.

To be honest now think an affordable Phone App... Using data to make a "talk group".

Yes your restricted by mobile signal and it will use data, by modern standards most will have enough data, watching video uses more than a data call..

The App should (I believe this is possible):

> Be non network specific,

> Allow users to use any Bluetooth or wired headset,

> Deal with loss of data/ signal so you automatically re-join group once your phone requires signal,

> Have the ability to play music simultaneously,

> Allow priority to your Pillion and that to be by Bluetooth/ Wi-Fi so non phone signal dependant,

+> Have the option to ping when people loose signal and require group,

+> Have the option of showing the same Nav-Route to all Phones,

+> Have the option of plotting each rider on a map so you can see how separated you all are,

+> Have the option so the Nav Auto reroutes to rendezvous riders with the pack if they become split,

+> Have speed camera alerts,

In the Day dream world:

+] Use Wifi and or Bluetooth to maintain coms and have the DMS/Bridging function to link riders if no phone signal and in Wifi/ Bluetooth range.

+] Decent connections with Senna and Cardo so they can join in seamlessly :popcorn:

Most of this ii achievable, even forgetting the ideas marked with a + the app IMPHO would be worthy..

I’m sold, where do I sign up?

Coms kits are shamefully overpriced and underperforming.

I’d pay for an app that works.

Would need to be careful abroad in countries where data roaming charges might apply.

I got caught out in Montenegro who are half in n half out the EU 💰 :crybaby:

But yes definitely use the power of the mighty mobile to circumnavigate the irritation of connecting to other riders and the pitfalls of Bluetooth.

I’ve yet to try out senas ride connect that uses your mobile but I don’t have high hopes.

All sounds great. I Almost got stung by my mobile phone service provider who said my Go Roam Data allowance could be used in 71 destinations around the world, great I thought, then I crossed the border into Montenegro. My roaming charges for one day = £240 :shock: fortunately I got this reduced to £40.

Now I keep it simple - as I don't ride or tour in groups, I've no need to connect to 15 other riders. I'm fine with my cheapish Interphone comms kit, me and the mrs can talk to each other and receive phone calls along with directions from the sat nav. I prefer a dedicated nav and to keep it simple I do all my route planning via Garmin basecamp. :D

I have the Sena 20s for me and the wife and never had any problems connecting.

I used to connect to a mate’s 20s evo with the occasional drop out until he got rid. He did have issues with his.

After owning it for a while the clarity of the phone calls deteriorated dramatically. It used to be crystal clear. Now the sound coming from the speakers is very muffled to the point I have to ask people to repeat themselves.

However, since the purchase of my new AGV lid I bought the AGV ARK comms unit which is made by Sena it’s clear again. I have wondered whether it’s something to do with a previous update on the 20s?

A cool thing that the ARK does that the 20s doesn’t is that I can utilise Siri to make phone calls. I think this is great because I could only store 3 numbers in the 20s as a speed dial. Now all my contacts are available. I like that.

I’ve not connected it to another unit yet.

I am sure the future can only get better as tech advances! we will have to wait and see

my senna works fine , thankyou

But do you have anyone to talk to :popcorn:

the lady in the sat nav .

exactly where its always been... before you snowflakes panic about the prospect no electronic communications for 5 seconds or more .. :up:

There in the background a noise from a caveman, do you still recommend stone tyres?

I don't know any that call coms essential or won't ride without.

However it does make a more pleasant day,

less time talking over coffee,

the ability to make group decisions about stops,

warn of the speed camera van,

listen to music.

Change routes and destinations at a whim,

Frequent topics of conversation

Next coffee, last coffee, the views and local peoples we pass, road hazards, ass hole drivers etc

IMHO both the big brands have issues Senna and Cardo are over priced and underperform. Personally I have Pack Talk.. Love dual Audio Streaming and clear talk to Pillion and other riders IF we can be bothered fighting to connect.

I don't even bother trying now if its Senna- Cardo I know it can be done but its more agro than its worth IMHO

I would of said once a Radio based coms system with increased range to the helmet sets, bike mounted and Bluetooth to your choice of helmet device... All complex and requiring mounting to the bike and probably on available Push to talk.

To be honest now think an affordable Phone App... Using data to make a "talk group".

Yes your restricted by mobile signal and it will use data, by modern standards most will have enough data, watching video uses more than a data call..

> Deal with loss of data/ signal so you automatically re-join group once your phone requires signal,

> Allow priority to your Pillion and that to be by Bluetooth/ Wi-Fi so non phone signal dependant,

+> Have the option of plotting each rider on a map so you can see how separated you all are,

+> Have the option so the Nav Auto reroutes to rendezvous riders with the pack if they become split,

In the Day dream world:

+] Use Wifi and or Bluetooth to maintain coms and have the DMS/Bridging function to link riders if no phone signal and in Wifi/ Bluetooth range.

+] Decent connections with Senna and Cardo so they can join in seamlessly :popcorn:

Most of this ii achievable, even forgetting the ideas marked with a + the app IMPHO would be worthy..

Sounds like hell on earth . Reminds me of these poor bast*rds who have to work on a laptop on trains when they could be meditating or just looking out of the window and noticing things . There's enough tech in everyday life to drive you round the twist without plugging it into your head when you're on your motorcycle .

I see the boomers disagree :popcorn:

Starting to thin you are going around trolling your own Forum, I have noted your multiple attempts to get [mention]Six30[/mention] to flounce, now your trying to Troll random threads. I will give you points for trying to get the TOTY award in your own forum.

Your really exposing self weakness "Y" if your going to play the generation game get it right.

I think you will find its a couple of Boomers showing they're age and intolerance, boomers group up not talking in the cold war why change? they won the cold war by not talking.

Its the X generation that have embrace change, have had the wild times and are prepared to try new things, Xcepting embracing new technology..

[mention]Stu[/mention] What are you generation "Y?" why Y? because it follows X you have no name, purpose or meaning the Millennials that follow at least have a name and type the "Y"s now there is the generation of Y are you here.... Over shadowed by the generations before and the Millennials after...

The Millennials who don't leave the parents home are scared to commit and starting families, have grown up with tech developing say they can remember life before mobile phones but would not have a clue how to live without one, the Digital Natives.

I doubt that there are many generation "Z"'s on here why because they will be laughing at us using a forum and headsets to communicate on a ride. I mean FFS how can they take selfies on a bike and using a forum you don't get 1000's of followers and try making your millions by talking to friends you get that by taking selfies of you by your bike not even riding it. Your posts are not going to reach 1000's. Any way why ride your bike to a place you can get a better back ground for your bike using photoshop, without the need to detail it after.

I see the boomers disagree :popcorn:

Starting to thin you are going around trolling your own Forum, I have noted your multiple attempts to get @Six30 to flounce, now your trying to Troll random threads. I will give you points for trying to get the TOTY award in your own forum.

Your really exposing self weakness "Y" if your going to play the generation game get it right.

I think you will find its a couple of Boomers showing they're age and intolerance, boomers group up not talking in the cold war why change? they won the cold war by not talking.

Its the X generation that have embrace change, have had the wild times and are prepared to try new things, Xcepting embracing new technology..

@Stu What are you generation "Y?" why Y? because it follows X you have no name, purpose or meaning the Millennials that follow at least have a name and type the "Y"s now there is the generation of Y are you here.... Over shadowed by the generations before and the Millennials after...

The Millennials who don't leave the parents home are scared to commit and starting families, have grown up with tech developing say they can remember life before mobile phones but would not have a clue how to live without one, the Digital Natives.

I doubt that there are many generation "Z"'s on here why because they will be laughing at us using a forum and headsets to communicate on a ride. I mean FFS how can they take selfies on a bike and using a forum you don't get 1000's of followers and try making your millions by talking to friends you get that by taking selfies of you by your bike not even riding it. Your posts are not going to reach 1000's. Any way why ride your bike to a place you can get a better back ground for your bike using photoshop, without the need to detail it after.

That’s my title gone in one post :D

Put me in the class of caveman. I almost always ride alone. I never have a pillion. I have no desire whatsoever to communicate in any way with anyone whilst riding my bike. I do not wish to listen to music whilst riding my bike. So why would I want any kind of Comms kit cluttering up my helmet or my bike? Antisocial bast*rd? Yep.

In the Day dream world:

Sounds like hell on earth . Reminds me of these poor bast*rds who have to work on a laptop on trains when they could be meditating or just looking out of the window and noticing things . There's enough tech in everyday life to drive you round the twist without plugging it into your head when you're on your motorcycle .

Love you, Bob :D

There in the background a noise from a caveman, do you still recommend stone tyres?

nope ... but you evidently don`t know how to communicate without fascist overtures ..

However it does make a more pleasant day,

bollox .. is a distraction .. like a phone call ..

less time talking over coffee,the ability to make group decisions about stops,

normal people like talking over coffee ..

warn of the speed camera van,

get real .. like i need coms to do that

listen to music.

irritating distraction..

Change routes and destinations at a whim,

again ..get real .. like i need coms to do that

Frequent topics of conversation

Next coffee, last coffee, the views and local peoples we pass, road hazards, ass hole drivers etc

yeah what normal people talk about over coffee

:popcorn:

Which can be done on the road, whilst enjoying a ride. Its not uncommon and often why cyclists ride horse riders and people walk 2 abreast so they can enjoy the company and an activity.

Your mileage may differ, some enjoy music chat when they are riding others don't. This post was meant for those that would like, have use and know the limitations of intercom units.

Which can be done on the road, whilst enjoying a ride. Its not uncommon and often why cyclists ride horse riders and people walk 2 abreast so they can enjoy the company and an activity.

Your mileage may differ, some enjoy music chat when they are riding others don't. This post was meant for those that would like, have use and know the limitations of intercom units.

its a distraction .. headphones are illegal in certain countries .. not this one .. not yet..

oh and what cyclists , horse riders and walkers do is of no relevance on a motorbike forum .. unless they are being maligned..

Edited by Copycat73

its a distraction ..

Wind noise droning in your ears, even with ear plugs is a distraction.

After listening to music while on the bike for the last 5 years I wouldn’t say it’s distracting. Just the same as listening in the car.

Being able to hear the sat nav when I use it is safer than only using it visually.

Being able to communicate with mates on ride can make it a better experience for a whole host of reasons. Personally I leave the chatting to when we stop.