Worth knowing .

fastbob

21 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm who’s being passive aggressive and... may I suggest more than a little patronising. I’m not showering you with opinions, I’ve expressed one that’s clearly at odds with yours. 

It is absolutely based on zero data. As is any opinion given here. All I’ve said is that if the lorry drivers are demonstrating there’s a blind spot they have not done their consultations adequately because if they had it could have been addressed. This seems to have caused a barrage in my direction from people who don’t have a class 1.

These brilliant experts (assuming the lorry drivers aren’t lying) have produced a mirror with a blind spot. Genius. 

Your correct I don't have a class 1, I just used to fix them for a living, I do however still know plenty of drivers and I don't know 1 who has an issue with them.

In hindsight considering I worked for a HGV training company I probably should have used that opportunity better 😁 

I wonder what excuse HGV drivers will come up with when they use their size & relative invincibility to bully other road users, now the “I couldn’t  see you” excuse has been taken away? .... Maybe “ I was pissing into a Lucozade at the time “ will replace it 😲

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mickly said:

I wonder what excuse HGV drivers will come up with when they use their size & relative invincibility to bully other road users, now the “I couldn’t  see you” excuse has been taken away? .... Maybe “ I was pissing into a Lucozade at the time “ will replace it 😲

First you will need a translator 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Look at this blind spot that is no longer a blind spot!! 

merccam1.png

thats just so the lorry driver doesn't miss  any prostitutes... just out of shot on the lorries dash is a claw hammer.

Just now, Six30 said:

thats just so the lorry driver doesn't miss  any prostitutes... just out of shot on the lorries dash is a claw hammer.

Speaking from experience or just the ones you have spoken to? 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That one has mirrors again :? 

I know , I was just trying to inject a little humour into what appears to have become a rather heated debate . If this can happen with mirrors I dread to think what could happen with camera especially one drenched in spray and filth . 

• Like 1

I use my reversing camera when coming out of the dead end side street I park on at work. 

Mainly because the camera lights up the pitch black street whereas I can't see a bloody thing in the mirror 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

I know , I was just trying to inject a little humour into what appears to have become a rather heated debate . If this can happen with mirrors I dread to think what could happen with camera especially one drenched in spray and filth . 

Ah Ok maybe some text may have helped get that across 

But yes this can happen with mirrors or cameras but I suspect driver error has played a part in this like if the car has passed the wagon why has the wagon not seen it and when its not appeared in front of him why has he not noticed that? 

as I have said above I have 15 years experience in driving large vehicles and have picked up a lot in those years and 99% of the time there is human error involved and not that fact that the mirrors have a blind spot as at some point everything is visible so if you don't know its there then you're not watching the road properly 

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm who’s being passive aggressive and... may I suggest more than a little patronising. I’m not showering you with opinions, I’ve expressed one that’s clearly at odds with yours. 

It is absolutely based on zero data. As is any opinion given here. All I’ve said is that if the lorry drivers are demonstrating there’s a blind spot they have not done their consultations adequately because if they had it could have been addressed. This seems to have caused a barrage in my direction from people who don’t have a class 1.

These brilliant experts (assuming the lorry drivers aren’t lying) have produced a mirror with a blind spot. Genius. 

You're making massive assumptions again.

I don't have an opinion per-se as I don't have any direct experience* or data. You from your own admission also have no experience or data yet are slating a system you know nothing about.

It's been demonstrated to you here that the system has significantly less of an intrusion than conventional mirrors yet you still say the system is worse.

You keep saying "they have not done their consultation adequately". How do you know this? From a couple of grubby pictures and videos from the internet?

Let me tell you, if I employed the same tactic in my line of work, I'd be laughed out of the room and branded a f*ckwit for all eternity.

*I have actually driven a tractor-trailer but that was a looong time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

You're making massive assumptions again.

I don't have an opinion per-se as I don't have any direct experience* or data. You from your own admission also have no experience or data yet are slating a system you know nothing about.

It's been demonstrated to you here that the system has significantly less of an intrusion than conventional mirrors yet you still say the system is worse.

You keep saying "they have not done their consultation adequately". How do you know this? From a couple of grubby pictures and videos from the internet?

Let me tell you, if I employed the same tactic in my line of work, I'd be laughed out of the room and branded a f*ckwit for all eternity.

*I have actually driven a tractor-trailer but that was a looong time ago.

Let’s not get our knickers in a twist. Tbh Im at a loss as to why everyone’s so angry, if don’t have an opinion what’s your problem here? 

But back to the semantics everyone’s caught up in. 

I said if there’s a blind spot they didn’t do an adequate consultation because that could have been fixed before general release. Can’t that in your mind even be a possibility, are there no ifs? You’re not even entertaining the idea there could be a blind spot?

I agree they are definitely a couple of grubby pictures from the internet and I have said all along “if they’re not lying” so I’ve acknowledged what they are but no matter how you slice it up it you have to acknowledge there’s a possibility it’s true. 

The point in posting is discussion. If you want facts before anyone says anything then the whole threads gone, including the majority of peoples posts you dont seem to be picking at. 

All of these comments and opinions including yours are at best anecdotal evidence, not fact. 

It doesn’t matter if you have a degree in engineering, it doesn’t matter if you have much experience driving a bus it doesn’t matter if you’ve been a lorry mechanic, it doesn’t matter if you’ve looked at some pictures it’s still all just opinion and anecdotal evidence, not a single established research based fact. 

Most discussion are just that, almost nothing on this forum is research based fact, far from it. I’m more than happy for the cameras to be brilliant but I also reserve doubt for the chance they are not and that they could have a blind spot and if there is thats.. genius. 

Have I done something to offend you personally cos covertly calling me a f**kwit is pretty damn rude. 

I’m hoping the * stating you drove a tractor and trailer once is just an attempt at humour because I’m sure someone fact driven wouldn’t be adding a personal experience in as if it was relevant. 

Perhaps the mods should consider closing this thread before it descends any further down a rabbit hole, assuming they’re able to step back and see that this has gone too far. 

For goodness sake , I wouldn't have bothered if I'd thought it was going to  lead to a bickering match . Lorries are to be avoided at the best of times . The drivers  can't see you and you can't see them . Which is just as well if Igor is swigging Special Brew while cooking Spaghetti Hoops on a camping stove in the foot well with one bleary eye on the road . 

It’s not a same but similar, most of the modern big cruise ships, from the bridge wings you cannot see ship side, so docking and undocking is done 100% using cameras. Only way to see ship side and behind you. In most of the ports docking must be executed within 10cm due to air bridges positions. Sometimes air bridges going between lifeboats.

Talking about 300m + ships, over 150000 tons.

it is weird in the beginning but then you just get use to it. Remember how we parked cars before parking assistance.

• Like 2

@Slowlycatchymonkey the main problem with your blind spot is that the cameras remove blind spots way more than having mirrors added.

As part of my irrelevant job fixing them 😁 adding mirrors was a regular duty, some because numpty learners removed them, but mostly it was to try to get the blind spots visible and so the instructors got a better view of the destruction of road signs,  angled mirror showing down to road in front is something they should all have or a camera,

Don't forget big mirrors directly cause death by impact,  the view from the drivers seat in some cabs gives very poor visibility around the cab as the videos bob posted, you can loose an entire car at the front and drive along oblivious, apparently.

They have been working on mirror systems for years they didn't just stick them on as a whim, they are starting to filter through to cars too.

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Let’s not get our knickers in a twist. Tbh Im at a loss as to why everyone’s so angry, if don’t have an opinion what’s your problem here? 

But back to the semantics everyone’s caught up in. 

I said if there’s a blind spot they didn’t do an adequate consultation because that could have been fixed before general release. Can’t that in your mind even be a possibility, are there no ifs? You’re not even entertaining the idea there could be a blind spot?

I agree they are definitely a couple of grubby pictures from the internet and I have said all along “if they’re not lying” so I’ve acknowledged what they are but no matter how you slice it up it you have to acknowledge there’s a possibility it’s true. 

The point in posting is discussion. If you want facts before anyone says anything then the whole threads gone, including the majority of peoples posts you dont seem to be picking at. 

All of these comments and opinions including yours are at best anecdotal evidence, not fact. 

It doesn’t matter if you have a degree in engineering, it doesn’t matter if you have much experience driving a bus it doesn’t matter if you’ve been a lorry mechanic, it doesn’t matter if you’ve looked at some pictures it’s still all just opinion and anecdotal evidence, not a single established research based fact. 

Most discussion are just that, almost nothing on this forum is research based fact, far from it. I’m more than happy for the cameras to be brilliant but I also reserve doubt for the chance they are not and that they could have a blind spot and if there is thats.. genius. 

Have I done something to offend you personally cos covertly calling me a f**kwit is pretty damn rude. 

I’m hoping the * stating you drove a tractor and trailer once is just an attempt at humour because I’m sure someone fact driven wouldn’t be adding a personal experience in as if it was relevant. 

Perhaps the mods should consider closing this thread before it descends any further down a rabbit hole, assuming they’re able to step back and see that this has gone too far. 

I wouldn't say it's semantics, I'd say you're trying to minimise and backtrack. 

For there to be no blind spots, everything would have to be made of transparent materials or there would have to be a vast number of visual aids but ask yourself - how likely is it that the average tractor driver could cope with that amount of information without significant training.

Do you have any experience or indeed idea of the approval process for a vehicular system? The safety factor is massive. You can keep going on about inadequate consultation but if you have no knowledge about the process then your assertions are meaningless.

You're chosing to ignore first hand information you've received here that the camera system is preferable to mirrors.

You're having a pop at many of us because we've not provided "research based facts". Is that not exactly what you were doing? I see no reason why your opinion should be more valid than those of people who have experience in the field.

Mods - you're clearly not doing your jobs well enough, go to the naughty step! :spank:

I research everything before i post im a stickler for this all my posts are correct and proper.

as for lorries  take it the driver  hasn't and wont see you and is out to kill you at all times ....  this is while he is driving his lorry of course , not when he creeps up behind you on foot and does you with his claw hammer .

now carry on bickering you twats

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

I research everything before i post im a stickler for this all my posts are correct and proper.

as for lorries  take it the driver  hasn't and wont see you and is out to kill you at all times ....  this is while he is driving his lorry of course , not when he creeps up behind you on foot and does you with his claw hammer .

now carry on bickering you twats

This is the problem with people who post before checking their facts. It is well known that those of murderous intent prefer a ball hammer and would regard the use of a claw hammer as very amateurish.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This is the problem with people who post before checking their facts. It is well known that those of murderous intent prefer a ball hammer and would regard the use of a claw hammer as very amateurish.

God dam Google....

• Haha 1