Trail breaking natural to some?

Rubberdown93

As most do now its hard to resist the temptation of having a degree in YouTube information. I came across a video On trail breaking,, being a fairly new rider on bigger bikes but no stranger to a motorcycle, been on a saddle form a young age.. Any way the idea of trail breaking and the research ive looked into more or less paint a picture of how I already ride on the road and have always done  My question is does this come naturally  to some and not others or are people just trying to make a buck from YouTube content trying to teach natural behavior? 

Interesting question really as I do trail brake when needed but can't really say why or how I learnt to do it! 

I'm not sure if it came naturally or with experience :?

2 hours ago, Rubberdown93 said:

As most do now its hard to resist the temptation of having a degree in YouTube information. I came across a video On trail breaking,, being a fairly new rider on bigger bikes but no stranger to a motorcycle, been on a saddle form a young age.. Any way the idea of trail breaking and the research ive looked into more or less paint a picture of how I already ride on the road and have always done  My question is does this come naturally  to some and not others or are people just trying to make a buck from YouTube content trying to teach natural behavior? 

And.. my bet is the video was American.

do bear in mind that their full motorcycle test is taken off road, on private land and is considerably less complicated or difficult than our CBT. in fact our CBT is far superior to their full test because it involves some riding on actual roads with traffic and people and everything... even corners!!

so, you have a population of new riders who don't really know how to ride.. but will hopefully survive long enough to build up these skills. and they need videos... they need all the help they can get!!!!

here things are rather different... this is just something we learn as we go.  though we are starting from a much better place on the learning curve than the Americans.

if you want to significantly improve your riding (and braking) do an advanced course.  RoSPA or I.A.M.

Edited by Gerontious

Aye, the video was American, 🤣   

Personally having done the CBT then onto the DAS course I find It mod boggling that 2 or 3 hours " rider training" in a car park  state side gives unexperienced riders the go ahead to jump on a fireblade if they want, my 6 year old daughter could pass the course blindfolded  

• Like 1

I think you will fit in here.. mod boggling is a very rare fetish. in fact, it comes as quite a shock to yours truly that there isn't an entire thread on the subject.

bender boggling.   imagine!!!

• Haha 1

If I don’t know the road I am going slow enough to be safe. If I know the road than I know how fast I can go.

Each rider should use what ever make him confident. However trail braking is not for road use as if you are at speed limit than you don’t need it.

Yust material for you tubers to make some money. 

When I was taught to ride, which is long time ago, one of the instructors would bollock anyone whose brake light was showing as the entered a bend. His stance was you did all the braking before the bend and rode all the way through the bend on throttle.

But you really start to learn to ride once you've passed your test and get into the real world.

My early days were solely spent riding in and out of the city on roads made mostly of spilt diesel. My tyres were always soaked in the stuff. 

These days it's mostly on rural lanes covered in mud and gravel. 

My main thing has always been that suddenly grabbing a handful of brake usually doesn't end well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know when I started doing it as like MB I was taught to do all the braking before entering a corner, do the cornering bit then get on the throttle when all straightened up. The safe way I guess.

Getting on track highlighted to me that making progress means you either have to be braking or accelerating. Easing off the brakes to the apex then gently getting on the throttle made my lap times tumble. Both on a bike and in a car.

27 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I don't know when I started doing it as like MB I was taught to do all the braking before entering a corner, do the cornering bit then get on the throttle when all straightened up. The safe way I guess.

Getting on track highlighted to me that making progress means you either have to be braking or accelerating. Easing off the brakes to the apex then gently getting on the throttle made my lap times tumble. Both on a bike and in a car.

Absolutely. On track, where best lap times are the target. Saving 0.1 second per bend on the road is pretty pointless in my view. 

I’m generally of the “brake in a straight line, get your speed for the bend before turning in, slow in, faster out” opinion*. There is a place for going into a bend on a closed throttle - some tight downhill bends in the Alps spring to mind. I have experimented with trail braking on the road after watching the Bret Tkacs video on the subject and I felt no clear advantage.

* and if you’ve misjudged it then you have some leeway for speed adjustment. 

26 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Absolutely. On track, where best lap times are the target. Saving 0.1 second per bend on the road is pretty pointless in my view. 

I’m generally of the “brake in a straight line, get your speed for the bend before turning in, slow in, faster out” opinion*. There is a place for going into a bend on a closed throttle - some tight downhill bends in the Alps spring to mind. I have experimented with trail braking on the road after watching the Bret Tkacs video on the subject and I felt no clear advantage.

* and if you’ve misjudged it then you have some leeway for speed adjustment. 

I guess the thing about road riding is you can't always see round the corner or be reasonable confident that there's not shite all over the place.

2 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

I guess the thing about road riding is you can't always see round the corner or be reasonable confident that there's not shite all over the place.

I’ve just ridden into Carlisle and back (essential travel 🤔). Living in a “tourist” hotspot in the sticks you can guarantee there’s shite all over the road, and walkers, and cyclists, and motor homes with drivers who can’t judge the width of their vehicle ‘cos they drive it once a year mostly on motorways (pause for breath), and bikers and drivers who cut RH bends taking a “racing line”, and farmers with their tractors and horse boxes, and herding sheep down the road. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

He forgot to mention horse shit - my main hate round here given that there are more horses than people. Why do horses always have to take a dump on bends?

Blimey you live in a posh place. Just cow shit and pig shit here. :wink:

30 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yes, but moo cows and piggies tend not to be wandering along Her Majesty's highway so often.

The Fundenhall Rd in Norfolk is known as “cowpat alley”. 

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yes, but moo cows and piggies tend not to be wandering along Her Majesty's highway so often.

Depends where you live

Animals-on-the-road-in-the-New-Forest-Na

Dontmention cyclists 

article-2604814-1D1D779C00000578-771_634

The latest seems to joggers and race walkers.  Well there’s no pavement!  Just miles of forest tracks...

• Like 1