Diddly squat.....

Bender

Well the queue is as bad as they say and the prices are mental, yet we are all paying them 😂 

Woman next to us bought a couple of things and they told her 60 odd quid, I don't think she realised how loud she said how much... 

DSC_1695.JPG

28 minutes ago, husoi said:

Same reason people go to Aldi.... 🤣

Compare quality with price and is as expensive as Waitrose.

That's probably true . I think people still think Lidl and Aldi are cheap because years ago they were very very cheap . I can remember the 4p baked beans . 

So why go there then ? There are plenty of other farm shops around . Surely you weren't hoping to meet Jeremy Clarkson ? 

17 minutes ago, fastbob said:

That's probably true . I think people still think Lidl and Aldi are cheap because years ago they were very very cheap . I can remember the 4p baked beans . 

who remembers the no frills beans in the black & white paper

49 minutes ago, fastbob said:

So why go there then ? There are plenty of other farm shops around . Surely you weren't hoping to meet Jeremy Clarkson ? 

Nope we knew he was on TV today, surprisingly few farm shops around and non that sell Clarkson"s tat 

His honey is expensive but I can see why.

I sell a full pound of raw honey for a fiver and folk are constantly asking when more is ready. 

To be fair I don't make anything on it at that price, it just contributes towards the cost of equipment for the bees.

In reality it would need to be twice the price to be worth selling commercially.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I sell a full pound of raw honey for a fiver and folk are constantly asking when more is ready. 

To be fair I don't make anything on it at that price, it just contributes towards the cost of equipment for the bees.

In reality it would need to be twice the price to be worth selling commercially.

The prices are what they are, they are non necessary purchases, people choose to pay them. 

When it comes to food, the raw materials  like meat, fish, fruit and veg I am quite willing to pay good money for decent quality. I spend months at a time eating so-so stuff further reduced in edibility by your average Filipino cook. So when I'm home I indulge. When I retire I'll probably be looking for fresh road kill.

4 hours ago, husoi said:

Same reason people go to Aldi.... 🤣

Compare quality with price and is as expensive as Waitrose.

That is Aldi taking advantage of the British Culture, which, doesn't really care much about quality. or food in general. makes perfect business sense to them.  Compare an Aldi in the UK with one in any other European country and the differences, when you look closely and at everything is truly  stunning.

I used to temp at a Bakery and have seen first hand the way these companies operate. just one example.   Asda "smart price" scones are exactly the same as Marks & Spencer "Fat Free" - the one being triple the price of the other and both coming off the exact same production line.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skyrider said:

who remembers the no frills beans in the black & white paper

My old man worked for Heinz, there used to be a staff sales shop, sold everything in a tin with no label - over the years I eventually learned what was what by the product codes on the top of the tins - in the early days it was pot luck if I got soup for breakfast instead of beans on toast 😂 At 2p a tin we couldn't complain.  

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I purchased some honey from a girl at work her brother in law lives on Bristol Road South, Birmingham not far from Edgbaston cricket ground. Lovely honey and for a fiver well worth it! Nice to buy local quality produce