Different Akrapovic Models

Fish

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Akrapovic from a dealer with the lazer etched logo and the other Akrapovic with what looks like a sticker on the side?

Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣

You can buy Akrapovic stickers 🤣🤣

What do you reckon?

32 minutes ago, Fish said:

I'm looking on the Calsport and Sports bike shop websites and the wider web , but SBS would be the choice. So some imply they are supplying cheap knock off rubbish 🤔

I wouldn't think SBS would sell knock off rubbish. I buy most of my stuff from them and they've been very good. Maybe there are other sources providing versions with a sticker which are non-genuine. So long as you know the sources and it's a reputable company you ought to be fine. But one off eBay might not be.

The £30 stubby cans that are sold as " Akra " with the logo blurred out are so Obviously fake that I doubt that Akrapovic are even bothered about them . Some AliExpress suppliers don't even bother blurring the logo . 

Screenshot_20211127-112752.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, exportmanuk said:

Ali Express is the retail site for AliBaba China.  If you buy through this site you should also be hit by duty & VAT as it will be a personal import.

Well , it's interesting that you say that . I've bought loads of stuff direct from China such as my ER5 Clock Casing , Carb Repair kits and loads of other bits and bobs and I have never paid a penny in import VAT . This is because Chinese suppliers , mainly from the city of Guangzhou , post the items direct to your door . On the occasion when I tried to save a few quid by buying some Kawasaki piston rings from Japan , I got hammered for £26 Import VAT including an admin fee  . This is because the Japanese supplier used the national postal service who have an agreement with Parcel force who carry out the UK leg of the journey . So I think it all depends on whether the items pass through the greedy hands of Parcel Force and their partners in crime the HMRC . 

• Like 2

I've bought direct from China, the USA and Japan. I've never had to pay taxes or import duty on motorbike stuff.

I did get stung for import duty when I bought some shirts from S Africa. As @fastbob says, that was because it came via the postal service and they impounded the package.

The last thing I bought was a rack for the Bobber from Japan. I ordered it Sunday evening, it arrived via FedEx Wednesday morning, no additional costs.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

I think it's a lottery with the Chinese stuff especially from aliexpress sometimes you were lucky other times it got checked and you get stung and the carrier who delivers slaps an admin charge on too. Aliexpress have changed it now you pay the tax on it on purchase so not the lottery it was. There is some shite sold on there but some good stuff too and can't knock alipay any issues and they pay you back no quibble. 

Big fan of buying local where I can  but also purchase from the far east especially if the retailer is putting a massive markup on the stuff 

Edited by MikeHorton
Typos

2 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I think it's a lottery with the Chinese stuff especially from a lie press sometimes you were lucky other times it got checked and you get stu g and the carrier who delivers slaps an admin charge on too. A lie press have cha fed it now you pay the tax on it on purchase so not the lottery it was. There is some shite sold on there but some good stuff too and can't knock alipay any issues and they pay you back  I quibble. 

Big fan of buying local where I can  but also purchase from the fat East especially if the retailer is putting a massive markup on the stuff 

I'm trying to work out whether this is autocorrect or sarcasm .🤔

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Well , it's interesting that you say that . I've bought loads of stuff direct from China such as my ER5 Clock Casing , Carb Repair kits and loads of other bits and bobs and I have never paid a penny in import VAT . This is because Chinese suppliers , mainly from the city of Guangzhou , post the items direct to your door . On the occasion when I tried to save a few quid by buying some Kawasaki piston rings from Japan , I got hammered for £26 Import VAT including an admin fee  . This is because the Japanese supplier used the national postal service who have an agreement with Parcel force who carry out the UK leg of the journey . So I think it all depends on whether the items pass through the greedy hands of Parcel Force and their partners in crime the HMRC . 

Hi,  This is often because the declare the customs value as US$ 2.00  but if it get checked by HMRC then either you will have to pay the VAT plus a penalty or the stuff will be confiscated.  Since we have left the EU HMRC are paying more attention to these types of import.

10 hours ago, Marino said:

Two weeks ago I purchased roof box from Italy on Amazon. Had to pay vat, delivery was by DPD. So assume bad luck?

Not bad luck, that's the way it is for the vast majority of people, good ole Brexit. I've always paid duty on goods from outside of Europe in the past. 

20 hours ago, Pie man said:

Not bad luck, that's the way it is for the vast majority of people, good ole Brexit. I've always paid duty on goods from outside of Europe in the past. 

Not sure, recently ordered bunch of stuff from all over the world and this is first time to pay VAT. Or maybe it was already calculated in the price on previous orders. Vill have to pay more attention 

14 minutes ago, Pie man said:

A lot will depend on what agreement is in place. 

At least Heed refunded the delivery cost which has offset the import duty (well Almost)🙂

As I said previously I found Heed very good to deal with. When do you expect delivery?