Blood Bikes

Fish

Yeah, I was all set to join my local group. The call went like this:

Them: Hello, blood bikes.

Me: Oh hi, I'm interested in joining your group.

Them: Great, can you tell me about your background?

Me: Sure, I've been riding continuously for 20 years, held IAM for car & bike and held advanced police driving & riding permits.

Them: Brilliant, that's the kind of thing we need. Do you know anybody in the group?

Me: No.

Them: Okay. All we can offer you is call handling then.

Me: .... I'll think about it. Bye.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

refused to keep up his iam as he thought they were a bunch of self righteous clicky twats. 

I am sorry to say I agree, you can spot advanced riders out in there groups a mile away.
Last one I met was riding solo, something about how he spoke to me said he was one. Maybe he said he was out practicing, not out for a ride. Either way when I asked he said he was quoting a list of qualifications as long as his arm.

He suggested I should become one , maybe I should not of said I would but in groups there is a certain culture I didn’t want to be part of.  By end of conversation he was referring to non advanced riders as organ donors.

If he ever reflects on his conversation as much as he will his ride, he will realise he proved my point.

As for blood bikers themselves I have had little to do with them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Something I've been thinking about for a while, think of it as a way of giving back. Does anyone have any experience of being a blood biker?

What's expected, typicla hours and anything else worth knowning?

https://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/

Something I have been thinking about too!

Notts Blood Bikes require IAM, RoSPA gold or an Enhanced Rider Scheme pass.

I was intending to do the ERS anyway, so I need to figure out whether I want to commit the time!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

Something I have been thinking about too!

Notts Blood Bikes require IAM, RoSPA gold or an Enhanced Rider Scheme pass.

I was intending to do the ERS anyway, so I need to figure out whether I want to commit the time!

So I'm guessing my cbt and a letter from my mum saying I ride good won't cut it 🤪

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I think all that shit would take the enjoyment out of riding…..

You don’t need to have a list of certificates to be a very good rider. 

What! You mean I did my cycling proficiency test for nothing!

• Haha 4

On 03/02/2022 at 19:19, Fish said:

Something I've been thinking about for a while, think of it as a way of giving back. Does anyone have any experience of being a blood biker?

What's expected, typicla hours and anything else worth knowning?

https://www.bloodbikes.org.uk/

I have friends who do it. One was on the committee for his local group. Whatever you do, don’t go on the committee.

I considered it but realised I couldn’t commit the time. I’m told that it is very rewarding, especially when greeted by a member of the NHS who tells you the value of what you’re doing. 

I find people’s views of IAM / RoSPA interesting. Like all groups of people and organisations, they embrace a whole range of personalities from really good, sound and fun, to w**kers and self-righteous berks.

I’ve been a member of both IAM and RoSPA (not sure which part of the good /berk continuum I’m on - and no, I don’t want to know 😂). I’ve had great times with the riding, developing my skills and social aspect. I consider it time and money well spent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I have friends who do it. One was on the committee for his local group. Whatever you do, don’t go on the committee.

I considered it but realised I couldn’t commit the time. I’m told that it is very rewarding, especially when greeted by a member of the NHS who tells you the value of what you’re doing. 

I find people’s views of IAM / RoSPA interesting. Like all groups of people and organisations, they embrace a whole range of personalities from really good, sound and fun, to w**kers and self-righteous berks.

I’ve been a member of both IAM and RoSPA (not sure which part of the good /berk continuum I’m on - and no, I don’t want to know 😂). I’ve had great times with the riding, developing my skills and social aspect. I consider it time and money well spent.

Totally agree with what you say about IAM and ROSPA.  Yes, you do meet some real self righteous t------s!  They're both really good routes for continuing your rider education though.  I've never been one for sitting on the laurels of a driving test I did years ago, things change and I like to challenge myself.  I've done both of them, courses on road and off.  The most challenging one day course I did was a slow manoeuvring skills course,  real confidence builder.  Each to their own though, I don't think having done those courses makes me any better than the Joe sat next to me at the traffic lights.  I think the courses just keep your skills fresh and the brain active.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Totally agree with what you say about IAM and ROSPA.  Yes, you do meet some real self righteous t------s!  They're both really good routes for continuing your rider education though.  I've never been one for sitting on the laurels of a driving test I did years ago, things change and I like to challenge myself.  I've done both of them, courses on road and off.  The most challenging one day course I did was a slow manoeuvring skills course,  real confidence builder.  Each to their own though, I don't think having done those courses makes me any better than the Joe sat next to me at the traffic lights.  I think the courses just keep your skills fresh and the brain active.

I agree.

In addition to IAM/RoSPA,  I’ve had goes, not necessarily very proficiently, at Trail riding, motocross, track days, machine skills days (Hopp Rider Training included emergency stops and slow riding, and i2i), knee down course (i2i) and Motogymkhana. I’m repeating the Hopp track training day and next year I’m intending to do the BMW off road skills day after watching a promo on YouTube. 

I have found none of this anything less than enjoyable. Scary at times, nerve wracking beforehand on occasion. But definitely worth the time, money and effort. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I agree.

In addition to IAM/RoSPA,  I’ve had goes, not necessarily very proficiently, at Trail riding, motocross, track days, machine skills days (Hopp Rider Training included emergency stops and slow riding, and i2i), knee down course (i2i) and Motogymkhana. I’m repeating the Hopp track training day and next year I’m intending to do the BMW off road skills day after watching a promo on YouTube. 

I have found none of this anything less than enjoyable. Scary at times, nerve wracking beforehand on occasion. But definitely worth the time, money and effort. 

I would add that it probably hasn’t  made me any better than many other riders. It has helped me be a better rider than I would have been had I not done those things. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve_M said:

‘Tis but a minority and probably reflects the population’s SD curve

while a high standard deviation indicates that the values are spread out over a wider range.... endemic.. systemic  .. cancerous ..

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

while a high standard deviation indicates that the values are spread out over a wider range.... endemic.. systemic  .. cancerous ..

It’s been nigh on 50 yrs since I covered SD as part of my apprenticeship. However, from what I recall, you seem to be damning the general population … I’ll step away now ‘cos you may have explained a great many things from the last ten years. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Steve_M said:

It’s been nigh on 50 yrs since I covered SD as part of my apprenticeship. However, from what I recall, you seem to be damning the general population … I’ll step away now ‘cos you may have explained a great many things from the last ten years. 

i did it for a maths A level .. and your synopsis .. is astute ..

I have just let my IAM membership lapse.  My observer was a nice guy. An ACTUAL ex police rider. The examiners group riders and forum menbers seem very exclusive. I met another ex-police rider who defined it for me.  "They want to do all the important fast open road "police" things but they are not allowed to exceed the speed limit."

That's why they are obsessed with "progress" within 2mph of the speed limit. They are also discurage filtering. Trail braking, or even pressure on the lever is right out!

I'm sure that actual blood bikers don't give a sh!t.

Edited by Pbassred
  • Like 1