War in europe?

Bender

Apparently they were never keen and I can see why. Better supplying anti air which can be plausibly denied than complete aircraft which is an escalation. Not sure if Russia really wants to take on NATO at the moment given they aren't exactly covering themselves in glory in the Ukraine but who knows what the nutter in the Kremlin might do and he does have nukes to play with.

25 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Apparently they were never keen and I can see why. Better supplying anti air which can be plausibly denied than complete aircraft which is an escalation. Not sure if Russia really wants to take on NATO at the moment given they aren't exactly covering themselves in glory in the Ukraine but who knows what the nutter in the Kremlin might do and he does have nukes to play with.

A full blown conventional war against Russia would be over very quickly. 

31 minutes ago, Bender said:

I agree!... A full blown conventional war would quickly turn into a nuclear one!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Latest from Dozy Twat Trump, 

Putin is a genius for invading Ukraine. 

How the fxxk did such a brain dead pillock like him (Trump, that is), get to be a President Of good ol USA

Same goes for sleepy Joe 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 18:18, Fozzie said:

Coal's replacement rate is in the millions of years, meaning its burning will only add to the atmosphere. 

However, using coal means that you don't have to use wood = More trees survive to 'catch' the carbon emissions from the coal and, as pointed out previously, coal emits less carbon that wood for the same heat output......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Latest from Dozy Twat Trump, 

Putin is a genius for invading Ukraine. 

How the fxxk did such a brain dead pillock like him (Trump, that is), get to be a President Of good ol USA

all the brain dead pillocks voted for him

According to other countries news agencies Russian progress into Kiev has been dampened by the Brave Ukraine resistance.

A report from the UK's MoD secret services the Russian convoy have made little progress and has been targeted by the Ukrainian forces and being hit by substantial losses.

Airforce strikes have also diminished in the last few days as result of apparent and unexpected efficiency and strong resistance.

There are also reports that That idiotic moron by the name of Putin is now removing forces (mostly personnel) from elsewhere in Russia to compensate losses so western world don't see how many Russian soldiers have been lost.

This is definitely having an effect on the moral of the Russian forces as it is a well known factor on invasion forces.

Conclusion:

Well done Ukrainian people. You're showing the west how it's done. :thumb: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

However, using coal means that you don't have to use wood = More trees survive to 'catch' the carbon emissions from the coal and, as pointed out previously, coal emits less carbon that wood for the same heat output......

The idea behind using wood, is you plant it to burn it, not deplete naturally occurring reserves (causing a net carbon release). And creating a cycle of trees that grow, capturing C02, and are then cut down to make way for a new tree that absorbs the carbon released by burning the tree it replaced as it grows. 

When you burn coal, there's no way to easily recapture that released carbon. So while wood releases more, you can recapture it, so long as it's sourced properly. With coal, there's no chance of that, so it's a bad idea to turn back to coal for power generation. And C02 emissions aren't the only factor, just have a read of what it does to air pollution, even with clean coal technologies reducing the ash and sulfur release. 

• Like 1

What I'm finding disgusting is the 'process' implemented by Patel for refugees wanting sanctuary in the UK. I'm embarrassed to be English following the governments response to people fleeing for their lives compared to the rest of Europe. 

I don't know why I'm surprised, considering the past few years this shower of shite have been in power. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob m said:

What I'm finding disgusting is the 'process' implemented by Patel for refugees wanting sanctuary in the UK. I'm embarrassed to be English following the governments response to people fleeing for their lives compared to the rest of Europe. 

I don't know why I'm surprised, considering the past few years this shower of shite have been in power. 

I'd agree with the Home Office being not fit for purpose but that's been the case for 20 years. No fan of Johnson but the UK has done a decent job of both training and supplying Ukraine with anti tank and anti air weapons.

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish or virtue signal for ...

When we opened our gates for war refugees the last time, Kosovo, we imported the Albanian gangsters and their families as well.

How many of the hordes of young men from Afghan are Taliban ?

We need checks...

We are a small country, there are other much larger countries that could pick up the refugee issue from Ukraine ... Germany, Poland ( done a great job already) France etc .... 

Surely Ukraine refugees need to be close to Ukraine to return to rebuild their country ?

If Ukraine refugees come to the UK i doubt they will go home...... What a loss to their country ....

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

The idea behind using wood, is you plant it to burn it, not deplete naturally occurring reserves (causing a net carbon release). And creating a cycle of trees that grow, capturing C02, and are then cut down to make way for a new tree that absorbs the carbon released by burning the tree it replaced as it grows. 

When you burn coal, there's no way to easily recapture that released carbon. So while wood releases more, you can recapture it, so long as it's sourced properly. With coal, there's no chance of that, so it's a bad idea to turn back to coal for power generation. And C02 emissions aren't the only factor, just have a read of what it does to air pollution, even with clean coal technologies reducing the ash and sulfur release. 

Carbon monoxide emissions are controlled via stoichometric combustion. I.e how the fuel is burnt.  In our case usually with approximately 30% secondary air which gives you an excess of around 7% air. This completes the combustion, and minimal CO is produced. 

The biggest issue with coal is the production of acid gases. Hcl and SO2. These are not as prevalent in wood.

The capture of CO2 has been an ongoing debate in the energy sector for years and yes the only way to balance this is the farming of trees.

What is not taken into account is where the wood pellets are shipped from.

Take a wild guess where the pellets are from for a rather large station on the east/ west Yorkshire border??

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 12:34, Bender said:

All over by Christmas ? 😕

58 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Canada....

Very environmentally friendly 

I am sure @S-Westerly will me along to advise that I am wrong but transporting goods in bulk by sea is surprisingly efficient.  
from his 50t a day @ saying @12kts 288 miles a day.  Say 200,000 tons of cargo.

Purists will hate my maths….

Say 800kg/m3 for fuel oil so 50t = 62500 lts ish 

62500/288 = 2232.1 lts/mile. Divide that by 200,000tons

thats 0.01116 lts per ton per nautical mile.

A nautical mile = 1.15 statute miles

A quick google say a artic does 8mg say heady at 40t that’s about 0.5 lts per mile…

There's a reason ships have generally got larger over the years - as onesea says its the most economical way to ship stuff whether its huge amounts of relatively low value raw materials or large amounts of finished products. Freight rates are weird though they don't necessarily track in line with high fuel prices. Ship owners worse nightmare is low rates and high fuel costs like in 2009/10. Ideal is low fuel and high rates which occasionally happens. Right now it's chaos and nobody knows how it's going to pan out.

4 hours ago, NeilM said:

Carbon monoxide emissions are controlled via stoichometric combustion. I.e how the fuel is burnt.  In our case usually with approximately 30% secondary air which gives you an excess of around 7% air. This completes the combustion, and minimal CO is produced. 

The biggest issue with coal is the production of acid gases. Hcl and SO2. These are not as prevalent in wood.

The capture of CO2 has been an ongoing debate in the energy sector for years and yes the only way to balance this is the farming of trees.

What is not taken into account is where the wood pellets are shipped from.

Take a wild guess where the pellets are from for a rather large station on the east/ west Yorkshire border??

Good description, this has been a discussion in my industry (historically built a lot of gas engines), especially in regards to mixing different reactants into the methane, such as hydrogen to try and control levels of emissions.

We can reduce the CO2 output, but due to the higher burning temperatures of hydrogen, NOx output becomes a problem again. 

I’m currently working on a job in London, which is part of a district heating project. We’ve gone for a urea dosing system combined with a low NOx MTU engine.

Before this goes too far off topic, Russia has hit my companies future plans hard. Not least as we own British Gas! Who last year hoovered up customers from collapsed energy companies, honoured fixed rates for 1-2 years, and is now having to foot the bill until their tariff changes. And equally in my side of things, its highlighted the need to shift sooner to hydrogen. 

11 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Good description, this has been a discussion in my industry (historically built a lot of gas engines), especially in regards to mixing different reactants into the methane, such as hydrogen to try and control levels of emissions.

We can reduce the CO2 output, but due to the higher burning temperatures of hydrogen, NOx output becomes a problem again. 

I’m currently working on a job in London, which is part of a district heating project. We’ve gone for a urea dosing system combined with a low NOx MTU engine.

Before this goes too far off topic, Russia has hit my companies future plans hard. Not least as we own British Gas! Who last year hoovered up customers from collapsed energy companies, honoured fixed rates for 1-2 years, and is now having to foot the bill until their tariff changes. And equally in my side of things, its highlighted the need to shift sooner to hydrogen. 

I thought current methods require more kwh of electric than you get from the equivalent hydrogen produced, and electric is now expensive because gas is expensive. 

8 hours ago, Bender said:

I thought current methods require more kwh of electric than you get from the equivalent hydrogen produced, and electric is now expensive because gas is expensive. 

Yes, it’s very power hungry. When brought up, its nearly always in context of using excess from renewables like wind. So during times of low load where there’s ample wind generation, rather than disconnect, divert the power to either a hydrogen production plant, or a large battery.

About half our power is produced by gas in the UK, so the situation in Russia has rung the alarm bell on that.

There is blue hydrogen, which is made from reformed methane, but I can’t get my head around the argument that it’s cleaner than methane, it comes over as a bit of a scam to me. That carbon has to go somewhere, and you release more powering the process to reform the methane, so if it’s carbon capture there’d be better places to use it in my view.