People who start out on 1000cc superbikes

Geoff Wilson

1 minute ago, billy sugger said:

Mines only heavy when I drop it, then I have a hard time trying to pick it up on my own  (kerb weight is 222 kilos) 

Same here. 🤣

On 28/05/2022 at 16:25, fullscreenaging said:

I’m not being funny, but you are talking like you have experience.

The guys that have been conversing with you on here HAVE experience and you seem to be ignoring everything that  is being advised. 

You have an opinion, sure, but until you have gained experience you really don’t know how a small bike handles compared to a big bike. 

I don’t need to have bike experience to know that some of the fastest bikes are not recommend for people who have just passed their bike test.

I don’t need to have ridden a bike to know that a bike that can make you lose your license in first gear is not a good option for inexperienced riders. 

Do professional motorbike road racers start off on litre bikes or do you think they work their way up in terms of the powers of bikes? 

Would you recommend a Skyline or an Audi R8 to someone who has just passed his/her car test? Why do you think Formula 1 drivers normally start out on dodgems and then work their way up in terms of power?

• Haha 1

On 28/05/2022 at 14:57, S-Westerly said:

IMO it's all in your head. Ride sensibly and you'll be fine. My son did DAS in his mid twenties and went straight on to a litre Suzuki GSXR. Didn't come off at all ever. Son in law did same and went straight to a Triumph  Tiger. Again no off from excessive enthusiasm although he did get side swiped on the M25 at about 40. Be aware of what your bike can do and don't just ride like a knob. 

Were they keeping up with other riders on the same size bikes on the country lanes and bends? 

The reason I ask that is because from what I’ve read is that people who do skip the concept of working your way up and just go straight for a litre bike don’t actually ride the bike how it should be ridden since it’s essentially a track bike on the road and are so intimidated by the power that they are riding it in a style to tame the bike. 

22 hours ago, Davidtav said:

Physics. There is a gyroscope effect going on. The relatively light 125 is probably wobbly at low speed. With a larger bike with larger wheels and greater mass there is a gyroscope effect which keeps it more stable. Particularly at lower speeds. I have commuted on a 125. And on a 500. Much easier on the 500 to control the bike. Filtering through traffic etc

Is there a reason why motorbike training schools use standard/naked bikes rather than superbikes when training people? 

I dunno what else anyone can say Geoff looks like your giving your opinion rather than asking. I think everyone has given their views. It's a case of accept it or disagree either way I don't really know what anyone else can add. Personally I wouldn't worry about others if you want to ride a bike do so, be safe and enjoy it! 

• Like 5

I think you should just go outside and start an argument with a tree about why it's growing and if it's indeed growing correctly. 

You've asked questions and obviously don't like the answers 😁 

Learner schools pick bikes on a budget that are light, nimble and naked because they get dropped. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

I think you should just go outside and start an argument with a tree about why it's growing and if it's indeed growing correctly. 

You've asked questions and obviously don't like the answers 😁 

Learner schools pick bikes on a budget that a light nimble and naked because they get dropped. 

I had an argument with a tree once. The tree won 😗

• Haha 4

So let me get this straight, are some people on here recommending or at least having no issues with someone who has just passed his/her bike test getting an R1 or GSXR1000 for his/her first bike? 

I can link to dozens upon dozens of threads about this question on different forums, on Reddit, etc. The answer is quite clear - NO.

Litre bikes can even get the better of people who have 20+ years of experience on the roads. 

Just now, Geoff Wilson said:

So let me get this straight, are some people on here recommending or at least having no issues with someone who has just passed his/her bike test getting an R1 or GSXR1000 for his/her first bike? 

I can link to dozens upon dozens of threads about this question on different forums, on Reddit, etc. The answer is quite clear - NO.

Litre bikes can even get the better of people who have 20+ years of experience on the roads. 

OK so are you saying a 999cc bike is okay 🤔

• Haha 1

On 26/05/2022 at 19:44, Geoff Wilson said:

Do people actually start out on 1000cc superbikes?

I’m a joiner and I was talking to a guy earlier today and I mentioned that I want to get my full bike license and get something like a Suzuki Bandit 600cc and he told me that his brother rode dirt bikes when he was younger and a 250cc when he was in his early 20s when people could ride a 250cc on L plates and he recently passed his test and bought a Suzuki GSXR1000. 

I understand that there is a difference when it comes to maturity generally speaking between someone in his early 20s and 30+, but is it really possible for someone to make such a big jump and ride the bike without any problems? I was always under the impression that litre bikes do not forgive people and someone needs years and years of experience to ride one. The power difference between a 250cc from the 1980s and any of the superbikes will be crazy. 

I did work in a factory about 10 years ago and one of the lads in his 20s got a Yamaha R6 as his first bike after passing his test and he was fine on it. 

Unless someone wants to correct me, someone passing his bike test and getting a litre bike with very little experience is like someone passing his car test and getting a Nissan Skyline.

Does anyone know someone who started on a 1000cc superbike after passing his test? 

Did the brother buy an L2 GSXR1000, by any chance?

Either I know who you are talking about or this scenario is a lot more common than we might assume.

Ok let's look at this in another way...

0-60 Honda 125rr it will do  70mph - 136kg 

0-60 Honda 600rr 3.28s - 165 mph - 155kg

0-60 Honda 1000rr 3.06s - 186 mph - 195kg

Does it really matter? Between 600cc &  1000cc 

When it comes to performance very few are skilled enough to know the difference on the road...  Both are capable of getting you into trouble very quickly.

One is 25% heavier.

Having gone from a 125cc to a Yamaha FZ6 to Trophy 1200, the biggest difference?

Weight, fairing, only when doing over 100 do I notice the trophy has allot more pull.

Looking back any reason to start on a 600?  

That's what people said I should do.. would I do it again? Yes.

Would it really matter? Apart from at low speed I don't think it would.  I would like to think the 600 had given me a great range of experience on bikes.

The 600 was certainly more forgiving in traffic filtering and in car parks just due to weight. I believe I filter better sure to time in 125 & 600 they are far easier in traffic.

The trophy weighs  240kgs give or take and finding in traffic caution is required.

I think as someone else has pointed out type of bike is more important.

With modern rider aids

Going from a Sinus 125cc adventure to a BMW GSA 1250 in one step, dropping it that would be the biggest concern.

Going from mt125 to mt10 or mt07 both are going to get you into trouble quickly. IMHO routinely trying to ride either to there capacity on the road is not going to end well.

An older bike without traction control you might/will slip out due to too much throttle. Then that is as likely on any bike due to road conditions and inexperience.. 

Will the engine size make that much difference?  Or is riding style an overriding factor?  

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Is there a reason why motorbike training schools use standard/naked bikes rather than superbikes when training people? 

Cost.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

125s can get the better of any biker.

It’s all relative. Ride like a **** and it’s highly likely your going to have an accident, regardless of the bike.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Cost is obviously a reason. But the naked bikes are far easier to control round a mod 1.  Upright riding position, and better leverage at the bars. Plus a much better turning circle.

Drop a school bike that's covered in fairings, your looking at a good chunk of cash to fix it, even with crash bungs fitted. I dropped mine on a mini roundabout due to a idiot pulling on to it while I was actually on it, turning right. The crash bung hit the tarmac, but my fairings hit the raised section and split

• Like 2

Basically ride what the hell you like. Nobody cares if it's a 125 or 1250 except you. If you are happy with the big bike go for it. It won't kill you unless you are a dick with it. Smaller bike can just as easily wipe you out.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 09:40, Bender said:

An Everton supporter died on MOD1 at a test center by accidentally accelerating into the perimeter fence. 

He thought it was a pitch invasion.

• Sad 1

According to 'Sorry Mate' 58% of all accidents happen on 50cc-125cc. with negligence being the most common cause. 

If you're not comfortable by the presence of a large cc bike, then ride a smaller one, nobody cares and it really is that simple. 

@MikeHorton Remember, Opinions are like ar*eholes  🤣

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pie man said:

According to 'Sorry Mate' 58% of all accidents happen on 50cc-125cc. with negligence being the most common cause. 

If you're not comfortable by the presence of a large cc bike, then ride a smaller one, nobody cares and it really is that simple. 

@MikeHorton Remember, Opinions are like ar*eholes  🤣

Scooters and 125s are the most popular bikes though